Making a tarball

Eric Weir

Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.

Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
[hidden email]

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

Re: Making a tarball

Tony Mechelynck
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM Eric Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.
>
> Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA  USA
> [hidden email]

For particular packages: type from within Vim
    :help pi_vimball.txt

To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
    man tar

Bezst regards,

Re: Making a tarball

arocker

> To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
>     man tar

Just to amplify that a bit, with $ representing the shell prompt:

to create a tarball:
$ tar -cvzf name_of_archive_to_create directory_to_send

That will show you the files in "directory_to_send"  being wrapped up. If
it's only one file at a time, just give the filename. Use a relative path,
not an absolute one, so you can restore anywhere you want.

To unpack, cd into the directory you want to use, and execute
$ tar -xzvf name_of_archive_to create

If you don't want to see all the filenames, omit the "v" option. The "f"
option must be the last thing before the filename.

HTH.

Re: Making a tarball

Eric Weir

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 11:46 AM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM Eric Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Been away from Vim for a while. Skills rusty. I’ve got iVim running on my iPad. I’d like to put my files in the cloud—Dropbox or iCloud—so they can be accessed from MacVim on my MacBook.
>>
>> Tarball has been suggested as the best way to move files from my iVim documents folder. Haven’t a clue how to go about it. I’ve always found Vim help difficult to navigate, and often to understand. References to it appreciated. Even more references to other sources.
>
> For particular packages: type from within Vim
>    :help pi_vimball.txt
>
> To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
>    man tar

Thanks, Tony.

iOS does not natively provide a terminal or shell—I had to do a web search for the differences, if any, between them; still not sure I understand; pretty sure it’s not important; for me, that is. Additional web searching informs me that there are iOS apps that make it possible. This one provides a decently robust Unix emulation. <https://osxdaily.com/2018/12/11/ish-linux-shell-ios/>

As I’ve been away from Vim for a good while, and even longer from Unix, there is another app, iZip, that might be an easier solution for me. <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/izip-zip-unzip-unrar-tool/id413971331>

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
[hidden email]

“Look deep into nature, you will understand everything better.”

- Albert Einstein

Re: Making a tarball

Eric Weir

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 1:59 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> To make (or unpack) a tarball in general: at the shell prompt
>>    man tar
>
> Just to amplify that a bit, with $ representing the shell prompt:
>
> to create a tarball:
> $ tar -cvzf name_of_archive_to_create directory_to_send
>
> That will show you the files in "directory_to_send"  being wrapped up. If
> it's only one file at a time, just give the filename. Use a relative path,
> not an absolute one, so you can restore anywhere you want.
>
> To unpack, cd into the directory you want to use, and execute
> $ tar -xzvf name_of_archive_to create
>
> If you don't want to see all the filenames, omit the "v" option. The "f"
> option must be the last thing before the filename.

Thanks.

Per my response to Tony, iOS does not provide a shell natively. There are apps, e.g., iSH, that will do so. And one, i.e., iZip, that may provide an even simpler solution, at least for one whose be away from Vim and Unix for a while.