Quantcast

Maping Ctrl-Shift-s problems

Pablo Giménez Pizarro
Hi vims.
I am begging to custoimize my vim keyboards settings and I have found a problem trying to map the Ctrl-Shift-s combination , I am using the next line in my .vimrc:
noremap <C-S-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>

I also have the Ctrl-s map:
noremap <C-S> :update<CR>

The thing is that the first map seems  to me mapped to the Ctr-s instead to be done to the Ctrl-Shift-s.
Any ideas?
thx

--
Un saludo
Best Regards

Re: Maping Ctrl-Shift-s problems

Tony Mechelynck

On 06/04/09 20:03, Pablo Giménez wrote:

> Hi vims.
> I am begging to custoimize my vim keyboards settings and I have found a
> problem trying to map the Ctrl-Shift-s combination , I am using the next
> line in my .vimrc:
> noremap <C-S-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>
>
> I also have the Ctrl-s map:
> noremap <C-S> :update<CR>
>
> The thing is that the first map seems  to me mapped to the Ctr-s instead
> to be done to the Ctrl-Shift-s.
> Any ideas?
> thx
>

> --
> Un saludo
> Best Regards
> Pablo Giménez

Vim maps its Ctrl+printable_key combinations according to ASCII. This
means that "Ctrl+lowercase letter" is the same as the corresponding
"Ctrl+uppercase letter" and that Ctrl+<key> (where <key> is a printable
key) is only defined when <key> is in the range 0x40-0x5F, a lowercase
letter, or a question mark. It also means that Ctrl-[ is the same as
Esc, Ctrl-M is the same as Enter, Ctrl-I is the same as  Tab.

So yes, Ctrl-s and Ctrl-S (i.e. Ctrl-s and Ctrl-Shift-s) are the same to
Vim. This is by design and is not going to change.

Any ideas? Yes: Use Fn or Shift-Fn as the {lhs} of your mappings. Of
these, only F1 already has a default binding in Vim (and F10 may or may
not be your system menu key).

There was a young lady from Hyde
Who ate a green apple and died.
        While her lover lamented
        The apple fermented
And made cider inside her inside.

Re: Maping Ctrl-Shift-s problems

Ben Fritz

On Apr 6, 6:01 pm, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Any ideas? Yes: Use Fn or Shift-Fn as the {lhs} of your mappings. Of
> these, only F1 already has a default binding in Vim (and F10 may or may
> not be your system menu key).

Or how about Alt mappings instead? Those are case-sensitive.

Replace your <C-S-s> mapping with <A-S> for shift-S or <A-s> for
lowercase s and it should work fine.

You may also need to read up on :help 'winaltkeys' if you have trouble.

Re: Maping Ctrl-Shift-s problems

Pablo Giménez Pizarro
Thanks Ben and Tony.
In my opinion this is a serius limitation, but anyway the best solution for me at the moment is to use Ctrl-Alt(Meta)-s, I am usin this map command:
noremap <C-M-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>

My doubt with this is if this is going to work in Win and Mac, here at the office I have only linux.
How the meta key is threated in Win and Mac?
thx

On 07/04/09 17:42, Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Apr 6, 6:01 pm, Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Any ideas? Yes: Use Fn or Shift-Fn as the {lhs} of your mappings. Of
>> these, only F1 already has a default binding in Vim (and F10 may or may
>> not be your system menu key).
>>

> Or how about Alt mappings instead? Those are case-sensitive.

They are case-sensitive, yes, but they clash with accented letters and
other upper-ascii, which makes them unusable in Insert mode for people
like me, who often use languages other than English. Then again, in
Console mode not every terminal passes the Alt modifier to the
application program.

> Replace your<C-S-s>  mapping with<A-S>  for shift-S or<A-s>  for
> lowercase s and it should work fine.

For instance, to Vim, Alt-s is a synonym of ó and Alt-S of Ó, so if you
often write in Spanish or Hungarian you shouldn't use them as the {lhs}
of Insert-mode mappings.

> You may also need to read up on :help 'winaltkeys' if you have trouble.

The truth is what is; what should be is a dirty lie.
                -- Lenny Bruce

On 07/04/09 18:57, Pablo Giménez wrote:
> Thanks Ben and Tony.
> In my opinion this is a serius limitation, but anyway the best solution
> for me at the moment is to use Ctrl-Alt(Meta)-s, I am usin this map command:
> noremap <C-M-s> :browse confirm saveas<CR>
>
> My doubt with this is if this is going to work in Win and Mac, here at
> the office I have only linux.
> How the meta key is threated in Win and Mac?
> thx

I think Vim treats it the same as elsewhere (synonymous with "add-0x80")
but on Windows, depending on which encoding your keyboard driver is set
to use (in the "Western" world, often Windows-1252 in GUIs, cp437 or
cp850 in the Dos Box) even Ctrl-Alt-letter combinations (0x80 to 0x9F)
may clash with printable keys...

I don't know about the Mac, and it may depend on whether you're on Mac
OS X (a Unix-like OS) or on some earlier version.

If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
                -- Norm Schryer