Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?

Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?

Britton Kerin

I'd like to map shift-space <S-Space> to <PageDown> or something.

After a lot of googling I find several mentions that some setups are st
vim differentiates between <Space> and <S-Space> and some not.
It seems not for me since :<C-v><S-Space> outputs only a space.

I didn't find any mention what in the setup makes the difference?
I'm using gvim not console.

I tried setting gnome configuration option Keyboard Preferences->Keyboard Layout Options->Using space key to input non-breakable space character->Space key outputs non-breakable space character at second level in the hope that this would generated a different characters that vim could detect.  But if it does, it isn't <S-Space> apparently.  And that solution seems undesirable for other reasons, since I don't ever really want unbreakable spaces creeping in.

Advice?

Thanks,
Britton

RE: Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?

JohnBeckett
Britton Kerin wrote:
> I'd like to map shift-space <S-Space> to <PageDown> or something.
>
> After a lot of googling I find several mentions that some
> setups are st vim differentiates between <Space> and
> <S-Space> and some not.
> It seems not for me since :<C-v><S-Space> outputs only a space.
>
> I didn't find any mention what in the setup makes the difference?
> I'm using gvim not console.

In insert mode in gvim, press Ctrl-K then Shift-Space. On my
system, it shows <S-Space> indicating that it knows what the key
was.

Try entering this test:

    :map <S-Space> :echo 'You pressed Shift-Space'<CR>

Then, in normal mode, press Shift-Space.

John

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM, John Beckett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Britton Kerin wrote:
> I'd like to map shift-space <S-Space> to <PageDown> or something.
>
> After a lot of googling I find several mentions that some
> setups are st vim differentiates between <Space> and
> <S-Space> and some not.
> It seems not for me since :<C-v><S-Space> outputs only a space.
>
> I didn't find any mention what in the setup makes the difference?
> I'm using gvim not console.

In insert mode in gvim, press Ctrl-K then Shift-Space. On my
system, it shows <S-Space> indicating that it knows what the key
was.

Try entering this test:

   :map <S-Space> :echo 'You pressed Shift-Space'<CR>

Then, in normal mode, press Shift-Space.

Both these tests seem to indicate that my machine doesn't see Shift-Space.
Any idea why some systems  do this and some not, or what I might do to
fix this problem?

Britton

Re: Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?

John Little-4

> Both these tests seem to indicate that my machine doesn't see Shift-Space.
> Any idea why some systems  do this and some not, or what I might do to
> fix this problem?

We'd need to know which version, OS, and maybe which gui you are
using; the first four lines output by :version would be a start.  My
gvim (7.2.411, Linux, GTK2 gui) sees Shift-space.

Regards, John

On 29/04/10 20:23, Britton Kerin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM, John Beckett <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Britton Kerin wrote:
>      > I'd like to map shift-space <S-Space> to <PageDown> or something.
>      >
>      > After a lot of googling I find several mentions that some
>      > setups are st vim differentiates between <Space> and
>      > <S-Space> and some not.
>      > It seems not for me since :<C-v><S-Space> outputs only a space.
>      >
>      > I didn't find any mention what in the setup makes the difference?
>      > I'm using gvim not console.
>
>     In insert mode in gvim, press Ctrl-K then Shift-Space. On my
>     system, it shows <S-Space> indicating that it knows what the key
>     was.
>
>     Try entering this test:
>
>         :map <S-Space> :echo 'You pressed Shift-Space'<CR>
>
>     Then, in normal mode, press Shift-Space.
>

> Both these tests seem to indicate that my machine doesn't see Shift-Space.
> Any idea why some systems  do this and some not, or what I might do to
> fix this problem?
>
> Britton

Gvim usually knows keys and keychords for what they are. In particular,
it usually recognizes Shift-Space as different from Space. However, gvim
is still somewhat dependent on whatever the Windows / X11 / Mac keyboard
driver is doing to the key events. It may be an advantage to run in a
Unicode "system locale" if you can (gvim with GTK2 GUI always does it;
I've heard conflicting reports about gvim for Windows).

When Vim is run in a terminal (i.e., in console mode), it's at the mercy
of the terminal's keyboard logic. Some keys or key combos will not be
passed at all. Others will be "translated" according to the current
locale. For some keys, Shift and/or Ctrl and/or Alt may get lost,
jointly or severally. And so on.

IMHO, the easiest way to fix that kind of problem is to run gvim;
however, if your usual terminal is mlterm, the disadvantage is that you
lose the true-bidi capabilities (which mlterm has, and Vim knows it, but
gvim doesn't have).

Stult's Report:
        Our problems are mostly behind us.  What we have to do now is
fight the solutions.

Re: Mapping Shift-space: how to tell if its possible?

Britton Kerin

I assumed 7.2 but I guess this debian is still on 7.1.  7.2 works fine, thanks.

Britton