Math notation in VIM

Edward WIJAYA
Hi,
Is there a way to type mathematical notation (like: Union, Inverse-A, etc)
in VIM?
I mean just like Word, there it enables us to insert 'symbols'.

Edward WIJAYA
SINGAPORE

Re: Math notation in VIM

Edward WIJAYA
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. But...

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:43:11 +0800, Alan G. Isaac <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Use UTF-8 encoding.

How do I use that?

> If you have a font.

How do I know if I have the font or not?

Edward WIJAYA
SINGAPORE

Re: Math notation in VIM

Aaron Griffin
On 6/7/05, Edward WIJAYA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way to type mathematical notation (like: Union, Inverse-A, etc)
> in VIM?
> I mean just like Word, there it enables us to insert 'symbols'.

I really don't like how this list auto-replies to the poster and not
the list itself... ugh

Anyway, VIM just handles raw text. You may want to check out latex
(isn't there a mathtex or something too?) or some other markup-type
setup.  There's also MathML.

I think the discrepancy is that MS Word does much more than edit (you
can insert pictures in the middle of a document), but VIM is
just-an-editor, if you'd like to perform complex layouts and things,
I'd suggest latex, or even html.

Re[2]: Math notation in VIM

Alan G Isaac

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005, Edward AYA apparently wrote:
> How do I use that?

I'm the wrong person to ask, but see
http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/mbyte.html
and I'm sure others on the list will help.

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005, Edward AYA apparently wrote:
> How do I know if I have the font or not?

You probably don't.
But you can get one:
http://www.american.edu/econ/notes/soft.htm#monospace

hth,
Alan Isaac

PS I just realized I should mention an alternative:
if you are comfortable with markup, you can just
write HTML or LaTeX.

Re: Math notation in VIM

Tim Chase-2
> Is there a way to type mathematical notation (like: Union, Inverse-A,
> etc)  in VIM?

Well, if they're available in your characterset, you can use
digraphs.  Vim comes with a number of default digraphs:

        :he digraph-table

which can be entered such as

        ^K12

to enter a "1/2" character (where ^K is control+k)

You can also define your own digraphs if you need.  There's piles
of information to be found at

        :help digraph.txt

You may have to set your file encoding to UTF-8

        :set fileencoding=utf-8

I think the Intersecion character is the "(U" digraph.  The
integral is "In".  I don't have any fonts that give a Union
operator, but I suspect it's mapped to ")U", given the output of

        :digraphs

Hope this helps...

Re: Math notation in VIM

James Vega-3
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:59:54AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> I really don't like how this list auto-replies to the poster and not
> the list itself... ugh

We've discussed this on the list before.  Here's a pointer to the
thread: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim&m=111518505418916&w=2

James Vega
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: Math notation in VIM

Edward WIJAYA wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. But...
>
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:43:11 +0800, Alan G. Isaac
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Use UTF-8 encoding.
>

> How do I use that?
>
>> If you have a font.
>

> How do I know if I have the font or not?

The following vim-online scripts and tips may help you:

"Working with Unicode" http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246

"Switching to Unicode in an orderly manner"

"Setting the font in the GUI"
http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632