Mercurial branches already messed up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mercurial branches already messed up

Bram Moolenaar

Well, turns out Mercurial isn't as good as was promised.

After I created the vim73 branch, I made a change in the default branch,
to fix the Japanese menus.  I wanted to rebase the vim73 branch to pick
up this change, but what happened instead is that the vim73 changes got
to the default branch.  Now I can't manage to make "hg status" show the
Japanes file changes show up in the vim73 branch.

Can someone tell me how to remove the vim73 changes from the default
branch and get the vim73 branch to pick up the changes to the Japanese
menus?

Please reply to me directly if you know how to do this.

--
Don't read everything you believe.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mercurial branches already messed up

Bram Moolenaar

I wrote:

> Well, turns out Mercurial isn't as good as was promised.
>
> After I created the vim73 branch, I made a change in the default branch,
> to fix the Japanese menus.  I wanted to rebase the vim73 branch to pick
> up this change, but what happened instead is that the vim73 changes got
> to the default branch.  Now I can't manage to make "hg status" show the
> Japanes file changes show up in the vim73 branch.
>
> Can someone tell me how to remove the vim73 changes from the default
> branch and get the vim73 branch to pick up the changes to the Japanese
> menus?
>
> Please reply to me directly if you know how to do this.

I managed to fix it by discarding my local repository, cloning a new
one, "hg revert" and pushing that.  So the top of the "default" branch
is now OK again, just the history is a bit messed up.

Instead of "hg rebase" I now used "hg merge" to pick up the change from
the default branch in the vim73 branch.  Not as nice, but works.

--
The future isn't what it used to be.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mercurial branches already messed up

scott-268
On Saturday 15 May 2010 2:38:19 pm Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I managed to fix it by discarding my local repository, cloning
>  a new one, "hg revert" and pushing that.  So the top of the
>  "default" branch is now OK again, just the history is a bit
>  messed up.
>
> Instead of "hg rebase" I now used "hg merge" to pick up the
>  change from the default branch in the vim73 branch.  Not as
>  nice, but works.

i had to add a -C to the update to get to the new branch, so

    hg update -C vim73

got me there

i can build it but i don't see relative numbers in it -- did that
feature not make the cut?

sc

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mercurial branches already messed up

Bram Moolenaar

Toothpik (?) wrote:

> On Saturday 15 May 2010 2:38:19 pm Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > I managed to fix it by discarding my local repository, cloning
> >  a new one, "hg revert" and pushing that.  So the top of the
> >  "default" branch is now OK again, just the history is a bit
> >  messed up.
> >
> > Instead of "hg rebase" I now used "hg merge" to pick up the
> >  change from the default branch in the vim73 branch.  Not as
> >  nice, but works.
>
> i had to add a -C to the update to get to the new branch, so
>
>     hg update -C vim73
>
> got me there
>
> i can build it but i don't see relative numbers in it -- did that
> feature not make the cut?

That's still in the todo list.  You can see the history here:
http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/list
Select the "vim73" branch.

--
Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php