Messages oddity

Phil Dobbin
Hi all.

I was trying to debug something in Vim today & I needed to see the
fleeting error messages that flash by when Vim spots trouble. However
when I run :messages all I get is:
'Messages Maintainer' followed by a name & email address (which I
haven't included here because of privacy concerns).

Has anybody seen this behaviour before?

I'm running console Vim from the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories which is Vim
7.4 with included patches: 1-1689 & extra patches: 8.0.0056

Cheers,

Phil.
--
If you are firmly enough rooted in your masculinity,
it shouldn't bother you much to have a woman on top of you.

0x6C53A5C6.asc (228K) Download Attachment

Re: Messages oddity

Bram Moolenaar

Phil Dobbin wrote:

> I was trying to debug something in Vim today & I needed to see the
> fleeting error messages that flash by when Vim spots trouble. However
> when I run :messages all I get is:
> 'Messages Maintainer' followed by a name & email address (which I
> haven't included here because of privacy concerns).
>
> Has anybody seen this behaviour before?
>
> I'm running console Vim from the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories which is Vim
> 7.4 with included patches: 1-1689 & extra patches: 8.0.0056

:messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
does.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: Messages oddity

Phil Dobbin
On 08/07/17 12:03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> I was trying to debug something in Vim today & I needed to see the
>> fleeting error messages that flash by when Vim spots trouble. However
>> when I run :messages all I get is:
>> 'Messages Maintainer' followed by a name & email address (which I
>> haven't included here because of privacy concerns).
>>
>> Has anybody seen this behaviour before?
>>
>> I'm running console Vim from the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories which is Vim
>> 7.4 with included patches: 1-1689 & extra patches: 8.0.0056
>
> :messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
> does.

Hi Bram.

:echomsg shows nothing.

Cheers,

Phil.

Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 08/07/17 12:03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > Phil Dobbin wrote:
> >
> >> I was trying to debug something in Vim today & I needed to see the
> >> fleeting error messages that flash by when Vim spots trouble. However
> >> when I run :messages all I get is:
> >> 'Messages Maintainer' followed by a name & email address (which I
> >> haven't included here because of privacy concerns).
> >>
> >> Has anybody seen this behaviour before?
> >>
> >> I'm running console Vim from the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories which is Vim
> >> 7.4 with included patches: 1-1689 & extra patches: 8.0.0056
> >
> > :messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
> > does.
> >

> Hi Bram.
>
> :echomsg shows nothing.

Then somewhere there must be a ":messages clear".

--
"Microsoft is like Coke.  It's a secret formula, all the money is from
distribution, and their goal is to get Coke everywhere.  Open source is like

Re: Messages oddity

Phil Dobbin
On 08/07/17 12:45, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Phil Dobbin wrote:

>>> :messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
>>> does.
>>>

>> Hi Bram.
>>
>> :echomsg shows nothing.
>
> Then somewhere there must be a ":messages clear".

I'm stumped. I can't find any trace of ":messages clear" anywhere. I
definitely would've remembered setting something along those lines so
I'm pretty certain I haven't done so...

--
If you are firmly enough rooted in your masculinity,
it shouldn't bother you much to have a woman on top of you.
It's a good deal more relaxing, it's often more satisfying for both parties
and you can see a lot more of what's going on
        A Case Of Lone Star - Kinky Friedman

0x6C53A5C6.asc (228K) Download Attachment

Re: Messages oddity

'Jürgen Krämer' via vim_use

Phil Dobbin schrieb am 08.07.2017 um 13:24:

> On 08/07/17 12:03, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>> Phil Dobbin wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to debug something in Vim today & I needed to see the
>>> fleeting error messages that flash by when Vim spots trouble. However
>>> when I run :messages all I get is:
>>> 'Messages Maintainer' followed by a name & email address (which I
>>> haven't included here because of privacy concerns).
>>>
>>> Has anybody seen this behaviour before?
>>>
>>> I'm running console Vim from the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories which is Vim
>>> 7.4 with included patches: 1-1689 & extra patches: 8.0.0056
>>
>> :messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
>> does.
>>

> Hi Bram.
>
> :echomsg shows nothing.

maybe you misunderstood Bram. He wanted to say that :messages only shows
output that was produced by :echomsg.

Regards,
Jürgen

Re: Messages oddity

Phil Dobbin
On 09/07/17 14:10, 'Jürgen Krämer' via vim_use wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Phil Dobbin schrieb am 08.07.2017 um 13:24:

>>> :messages does not show output from :echo.  If you use :echomsg then it
>>> does.
>>>

>> Hi Bram.
>>
>> :echomsg shows nothing.
>
> maybe you misunderstood Bram. He wanted to say that :messages only shows
> output that was produced by :echomsg.
Hi Jürgen.

Thanks for that. I understand now.

Cheers,