Multiple Splits from CLI: vim -O .asoundrc*

Multiple Splits from CLI: vim -O .asoundrc*

philip_rhoades
People,

I regularly use a command like in the subject and flick between the
splits using "CTRL-w CTRL-w" - however the last few times I have
realised there are issues:

- the CLI command does not open / display ALL of the files - there seems
to a maximum of six files opened

- moving between the splits and sometimes using ":q" to repeatedly exit
a buffer and then having finished the comparison and any editing and
repeatedly using ":q" on each remaining split - after what I thought was
the last buffer, I am getting prompted that I still have files to look
at and have to use ":n" - which reopens files that I have previously
closed - weird stuff . .

Any ideas about getting "vim -O" to open ALL the files with the
appropriate number of splits?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Multiple Splits from CLI: vim -O .asoundrc*

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 27 Apr 2018, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> People,
>
> I regularly use a command like in the subject and flick between the splits
> using "CTRL-w CTRL-w" - however the last few times I have realised there are
> issues:
>
> - the CLI command does not open / display ALL of the files - there seems to
> a maximum of six files opened
>
> - moving between the splits and sometimes using ":q" to repeatedly exit a
> buffer and then having finished the comparison and any editing and
> repeatedly using ":q" on each remaining split - after what I thought was the
> last buffer, I am getting prompted that I still have files to look at and
> have to use ":n" - which reopens files that I have previously closed - weird
> stuff . .
>
> Any ideas about getting "vim -O" to open ALL the files with the appropriate
> number of splits?

It all depends on the size of your Vim window/terminal and Vim will then
try to open as many windows as possible so that
'winminheight'/'winminwidth' option for each window is fulfilled. If the
space is not enough, it won't create more windows. So try to reduce the
'winminwidth'/'winminheight' option

Best,
Christian
--
Unter die größten Entdeckungen, auf die der menschliche Verstand in
den neuesten Zeiten gefallen ist, gehört meiner Meinung nach wohl die