My outliner questionaire

Steve Litt
Hi all,

My next book, whose first draft is about 3/4 written, is about improving
mental outlook and productivity in tough times. It will contain a chapter on
outlining and outliners. Although I personally think VO is far and away the
best outliner I've ever seen, it's not for everyone. For instance, the person
who prioritizes intuitive "user friendly" above all else would hate VO. The
person who prioritizes lookup speed over authoring speed would prefer other
outliners. The person who absolutely must have cloning would have no use for
VO.

Therefore, my chapter will list and briefly describe several outliners that
are currently available (Grandview's no longer available, for instance).
Obviously I'll be listing and describing VO, LEO, MS Word and More. I'd love
to hear about others I should include.

I'll be sending a questionaire to each outliner's authority (Edward Ream for
LEO, Dave Winer for More and OPML). The rough draft of the questionaire is at
the bottom of this email. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve this
questionaire, please let me know. One thing -- the book's intended audience
is John Q. Public, not people like us. An export to LyX or OpenOffice or
database connectivity wouldn't be a sought after feature for my book's
audience.

Please give me any opinions you have on the questionaire, and any ideas for
other outline processors I should investigate.

Thanks

SteveT

=================== QUESTIONAIRE BELOW ============================

: Hi ___,
:
: I'm Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com, and one of the things I do is write
: and sell books (http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore). My latest book
: will be about how to improve one's mental outlook and productivity in
: challenging times. This book will include a chapter on using outline
: processors.
:
: I'm writing you because of your knowledge of the ___ outline processor.
: I'd like to let the reader know about several different outline processors,
: because different people prefer different outline processors.
: The reader will learn about outliners working on Windows, Linux and Mac,
: with licenses free software/open source, commercial and "other".
:
: Could you please fill out this short questionaire about the ___ outline
: processor and email it back to me?
:
: Thanks
:
: Steve Litt

QUESTIONAIRE (___ outline processor)

Does it run on (yes/no for each)?
        Windows?
        Linux?
        BSD*?
        Mac?
        Other? ________________________
Features (yes/no for each)
        Expand/Collapse?
        Promote/Demote (change level)?
        Body text?
        Interoutline linking?
        Executable lines (write command on line, hit keystroke to execute)?
        Checklists?
        Hoist?
        Headline cloning?
Other features (please list features not listed in preceding question)
Native Format (choose one)
        Binary
        XML
        YAML
        Database (MySQL etc)
        Tab indented outline
        Other (explain please) ___________________________
User Interface (choose one)
        Web Browser
        Non-web GUI
        Menu driven keyboard/console interface
        Non-menu driven keyboard/console interface (like VimOutliner)
        Other (explain please) __________________________
License (choose one)
        Free software/open source? Please name license: _____________
        Shareware?
        Freeware (no cost, restrictions on use/copying/modification)?
        Legacy (old commercial software permitted for limited distribution)?
        Commercial software?
        Other? _____________
User benefit priorities?
        : For instance, was the software written to maximize authoring speed,
        : lookup speed, intuitive ease of use, complete feature set, or other
        : things?
Other comments?
        : Please feel free to write any other info you feel pertinent here.

Re: My outliner questionaire

Lucas González
maxthink.com - no longer for ms-dos which is a real loss.

Also, maybe ask them if you could come back to them with one final round of questions, including those that will emerge from looking at the first round of answers.

Are you looking at computer only, or also PDAs and cellphones?

You know about licenses, which is why you're not asking them.

Lucas

2009/2/22 Steve Litt <[hidden email]>
[...]

Noel Henson
Yep. My first outlining program.
Don't forget FreeMind. It's a mind-mapping program.

On Sunday 22 February 2009, Lucas González wrote:

> [...]
> >        Menu driven keyboard/console interface
> >        Non-menu driven keyboard/console interface (like VimOutliner)
> >        Other (explain please) __________________________
> > License (choose one)
> >        Free software/open source? Please name license: _____________
> >        Shareware?
> >        Freeware (no cost, restrictions on use/copying/modification)?
> >        Legacy (old commercial software permitted for limited
> > distribution)? Commercial software?
> >        Other? _____________
> > User benefit priorities?
> >
> >        : For instance, was the software written to maximize authoring
> >
> > speed,
> >
> >        : lookup speed, intuitive ease of use, complete feature set, or
> >
> > other
> >
> >        : things?
> >
> > Other comments?
> >
> >        : Please feel free to write any other info you feel pertinent

Herbert Sitz
Steve Litt wrote
Therefore, my chapter will list and briefly describe several outliners that
are currently available (Grandview's no longer available, for instance).
Obviously I'll be listing and describing VO, LEO, MS Word and More. I'd love
to hear about others I should include.
I'm not a Mac user, but I've noticed that for some reason the Mac has a richer selection of outline-related software than Windows or Linux.  Tao ( http://blue-beach-systems.com/Products/Software/TAO/ ) and OmniOutliner ( http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/pro/ ) are two powerful single-pane outliners available only on the Mac.  Both are philosophical descendants of the original MORE outliner.  You can find out more about all the outliner-related software available for Macs by reading archives of the "About This Particular Outliner" column, a regular part of the In the ATPM ezine  for many years: http://www.atpm.com/search?q=atpo

In the Windows world there's a pretty good Grandview-descendant called Notemap, http://www.casesoft.com/notemap/index.asp .  It's about the closest thing there is to a Grandview for Windows, but I think it may nevertheless be a dying product.

Grandview Descendents: Was My outliner questionaire

Steve Litt
On Tuesday 24 February 2009 02:32:23 pm hsitz wrote:

> In the Windows world there's a pretty good Grandview-descendant called
> Notemap, http://www.casesoft.com/notemap/index.asp .  It's about the
> closest thing there is to a Grandview for Windows, but I think it may
> nevertheless be a dying product.

That raised an odd thought in my head...

I don't know how many of the rest of you would agree, but I've always
considered VO to be a Grandview descendent.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US