Netrw: pressing `-` jumps to a different window

Netrw: pressing `-` jumps to a different window

Nicola
I have encountered the following problem: when I open netrw in a split window,
pressing `-` (zero or more times) to go up in the directory tree makes the
cursor jump to a different window. Besides, when this happens, mappings like
`ctrl-w l` stop working. I have to close all but the current window to make
them functional again. I can reproduce this with a fairly minimal vimrc:

    set nocompatible
    filetype on
    filetype plugin on
    filetype indent on

Note that I use Pathogen, so the above does not load my plugins.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Vim.
2. :Ex and open a file (it is important that you use :Ex).
2. Split the window vertically and move to the right split (i.e., the
new split).
3. :Ex
4. Press - (possibly several times).

Sometimes the cursor jumps even without pressing `-`.

This seems to happen when I open netrw in different splits at different
times, as in the steps above. Can you suggest a fix?

Using Vim 7.4.963 on OS X.

Nicola

Re: Netrw: pressing `-` jumps to a different window

Charles Campbell
Nicola wrote:

> I have encountered the following problem: when I open netrw in a split
> window,
> pressing `-` (zero or more times) to go up in the directory tree makes
> the
> cursor jump to a different window. Besides, when this happens,
> mappings like
> `ctrl-w l` stop working. I have to close all but the current window to
> make
> them functional again. I can reproduce this with a fairly minimal vimrc:
>
>    set nocompatible
>    filetype on
>    filetype plugin on
>    filetype indent on
>
> Note that I use Pathogen, so the above does not load my plugins.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. Open Vim.
> 2. :Ex and open a file (it is important that you use :Ex).
> 2. Split the window vertically and move to the right split (i.e., the
> new split).
> 3. :Ex
> 4. Press - (possibly several times).
>
> Sometimes the cursor jumps even without pressing `-`.
>
> This seems to happen when I open netrw in different splits at different
> times, as in the steps above. Can you suggest a fix?
Hello!

Thank you for your report.  I'm planning on an overhaul of how netrw
handles positioning upon return -- so hopefully this issue will go
away.  Might be awhile, though.

Regards,
Chip Campbell