New Checkboxes with smart leaves

Noel Henson
Due to some requests and preliminary work by Scott Scriven I have completed
some enhancements to checkboxes.

The biggest change is to the leaves. Now the percentages, if set manually,
will be properly utilized.

See these two outlines. The first will show the new computation in the
section on decorating the house

Birthday Party
[_] 66% Invitations
        [X] 100% Friends
                [X] 100% Bill and Ted
                [X] 100% Bob and Carol
        [X] 100% Family
                [X] 100% Mom
                [X] 100% Dad
                [X] 100% Bro
        [_] 0% Bookies
                [_] 0% Thumbless Larry
                [_] 0% One-eyed Joe
[X] 100% Food
        [X] 100% Cake
        [X] 100% Hot dogs
        [X] 100% Beverages
                [X] 100% Soda
                [X] 100% Beer
[_] 60% Decorating
        [_] 50% House
        [_] 70% Yard

Now notice that it wouldn't be appropriate to include the bookies. You can
now eliminate branches or leaves from the computations with the new [-]
marker. If you're doing a more complicated thing like designing software,
you can use this new features to show that items have been eliminated from
the computations. See this modified outline.

Birthday Party
[X] 100% Invitations
        [X] 100% Friends
                [X] 100% Bill and Ted
                [X] 100% Bob and Carol
        [X] 100% Family
                [X] 100% Mom
                [X] 100% Dad
                [X] 100% Bro
        [-] 0% Bookies
                [_] 0% Thumbless Larry
                [_] 0% One-eyed Joe
[X] 100% Food
        [X] 100% Cake
        [X] 100% Hot dogs
        [X] 100% Beverages
                [X] 100% Soda
                [X] 100% Beer
[_] 75% Decorating
        [_] 50% House
        [X] 100% Yard

To go with these new features are some additional key mappings:

,,c+ increment the doneness of the leaf by 10% (limited to 100%)
,,c- decrement the doneness of the leaf by 10% (limited to 0%)
,,c1 set the doneness of the leaf to 10%
,,c2 set the doneness of the leaf to 20%
,,c3 set the doneness of the leaf to 30%
,,c4 set the doneness of the leaf to 40%
,,c5 set the doneness of the leaf to 50%
,,c6 set the doneness of the leaf to 60%
,,c7 set the doneness of the leaf to 70%
,,c8 set the doneness of the leaf to 80%
,,c9 set the doneness of the leaf to 90%

Have fun!

Noel
Noel

vo_checkbox.vim (12K) Download Attachment

Re: New Checkboxes with smart leaves

Steve Litt
That is truly cool and I'll be using it often.

However, just for a second let me play devils advocate. If house decoration is
complex enough that you need to manually assign a percentage, wouldn't it be
best to break down house decoration into its component parts:

[_] 75% Decorating
        [_] 50% House
                [_] % Living room
                [_] % Kitchen
                [_] % Stairwell

I know what you mean though. Sometimes you just want to quit decompositing and
estimate.

SteveT

On Thursday 28 August 2008, Steve Litt wrote:
> That is truly cool and I'll be using it often.

Thanks!

> However, just for a second let me play devils advocate. If house
> decoration is complex enough that you need to manually assign a
> percentage, wouldn't it be best to break down house decoration into its
> component parts:
>
> [_] 75% Decorating
> [_] 50% House
> [_] % Living room
> [_] % Kitchen
> [_] % Stairwell
>
> I know what you mean though. Sometimes you just want to quit
> decompositing and estimate.
>
> SteveT

Just as you said. I know you know what I meant. I would normally use that
feature for, say, program design.

Firmware Design
[_] 82% Drivers
        [_] 82% LCD
                [X] 100% printf
                [X] 100% button object
                [X] 100% field object
                [_] 30% screen object

Because it may not make sense to further sub-divide the screen object.

Noel

> [...]
> > [X] 100% Cake
> > [X] 100% Hot dogs
> > [X] 100% Beverages
> > [X] 100% Soda
> > [X] 100% Beer
> > [_] 75% Decorating
> > [_] 50% House
> > [X] 100% Yard
> >

> > To go with these new features are some additional key mappings:
> >
> > ,,c+ increment the doneness of the leaf by 10% (limited to 100%)
> > ,,c- decrement the doneness of the leaf by 10% (limited to 0%)
> > ,,c1 set the doneness of the leaf to 10%
> > ,,c2 set the doneness of the leaf to 20%
> > ,,c3 set the doneness of the leaf to 30%
> > ,,c4 set the doneness of the leaf to 40%
> > ,,c5 set the doneness of the leaf to 50%
> > ,,c6 set the doneness of the leaf to 60%
> > ,,c7 set the doneness of the leaf to 70%
> > ,,c8 set the doneness of the leaf to 80%
> > ,,c9 set the doneness of the leaf to 90%

Scott Scriven-2
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is truly cool and I'll be using it often.

Ditto.  I'm happy to see this feature.  :)

> If house decoration is complex enough that you need to manually
> assign a percentage, wouldn't it be best to break down house
> decoration into its component parts:
>
> [_] 75% Decorating
> [_] 50% House
> [_] % Living room
> [_] % Kitchen
> [_] % Stairwell

Sometimes.

Some tasks don't break apart easily, or break into too many parts
to track.  Or, maybe it would just take too much time to track
the components.

For example, as I make my way through a long book, I'll
occasionally update the percentage for that book in my book list.
I don't read just one title at a time, so this helps me remember
what I have in progress.  Or, while playing a game, I track how
much I've finished.  Even if I subdivide the game into things
like map completion, items collected, and objectives completed,
I'm not going to list every room or item.  And I often don't do
every last little thing in the game, so maybe the percentage only
gets up to 90% before I stop.  Years later, I may go back and
continue the ones which only got to, say, 30%.

Some things are never finished, like sorting through new pictures
from my camera.  For a while, I tried to handle these ongoing
tasks with percents (to represent how much work had accumulated),
but it didn't really work.  I replaced most of those with
recurring tasks instead; I make my todo list remind me every few
weeks.  I'll spend a few minutes or maybe a few hours doing it,
check it off, and forget about it until next time.

-- Scott

* Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The biggest change is to the leaves. Now the percentages, if
> set manually, will be properly utilized.

Awesome.

> Now notice that it wouldn't be appropriate to include the
> bookies. You can now eliminate branches or leaves from the
> computations with the new [-] marker.

I thought it always worked that way...  but maybe it's just
because I've been using a modified version.  Any branch which
doesn't start with [_] or [X] will be ignored.  I use this a lot,
to indicate things like...

        [S] skipped
        [F] failed
        [Z] snoozed

All of the above will be ignored, as will their children.

-- Scott

Re: New Checkboxes with smart leaves

Peter Princz
Hello Noel,

2008/8/28 Noel Henson <[hidden email]>:
> Due to some requests and preliminary work by Scott Scriven I have completed
> some enhancements to checkboxes.
>
> The biggest change is to the leaves. Now the percentages, if set manually,
> will be properly utilized.

this is marvellous! Thank you! I've been inserting fake children as a
workaround till now. Just merged the attached file in vim's diff mode
and works like a dream. (Have a customised vo_checkbox.vim as almost
everyone here...:)

> Now notice that it wouldn't be appropriate to include the bookies. You can
> now eliminate branches or leaves from the computations with the new [-]
> marker.

This is marvellous too! I've been ,,cd-ing these nodes and their
children recursively as a workaround till now (collapsed, highlighting
in visual mode the single line of the top to be excluded), but this is
much more elegant.

> Have fun!

I already have! Really, I have the feeling as if I was driving this
development with my requirements. The two new behaviour introduced now
was used frequently thru cumbersome workarounds, as I wrote above. Now
you delivered exactly what I need. Thank you very-very much!