New Hoisting Implementation coming soon

Noel Henson
I believe I have solved the hoisting problem. I've been through the vim
sources and understand more what can be done with scripts. I hope to have
a prototype for hoisting done in the next day.

This implementation of hoisting will be done 'in buffer' not with external
files. Only the focused section of the outline will be seen. Hoisting will
easily nest. As I experiment, the only issue I'm coming up with is a way to
safely manage a teeny bit of meta-information about indentation.

So, along with colored, folded lines, look for a new vo_hoist.vim shortly.

Noel

Re: New Hoisting Implementation coming soon

Steve Litt
On Sunday 13 September 2009 20:19:44 Noel Henson wrote:
> I believe I have solved the hoisting problem. I've been through the vim
> sources and understand more what can be done with scripts. I hope to have
> a prototype for hoisting done in the next day.
>
> This implementation of hoisting will be done 'in buffer' not with external
> files. Only the focused section of the outline will be seen. Hoisting will
> easily nest. As I experiment, the only issue I'm coming up with is a way to
> safely manage a teeny bit of meta-information about indentation.

A safe hoist would be really cool. I haven't used hoist til this point because
you could lose data by doing so.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

On Monday 14 September 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Sunday 13 September 2009 20:19:44 Noel Henson wrote:
> > I believe I have solved the hoisting problem. I've been through the
> > vim sources and understand more what can be done with scripts. I hope
> > to have a prototype for hoisting done in the next day.
> >
> > This implementation of hoisting will be done 'in buffer' not with
> > external files. Only the focused section of the outline will be seen.
> > Hoisting will easily nest. As I experiment, the only issue I'm coming
> > up with is a way to safely manage a teeny bit of meta-information
> > about indentation.
>
> A safe hoist would be really cool. I haven't used hoist til this point
> because you could lose data by doing so.
>
> SteveT

This new method edits the data 'in place' in the same file. I have figured
out how to handle nested hoists. I have not quite yet figured out how to
store the meta information which is just an indent level. This indent level
is needed to restore the indents when hoisting is exited. Also, this method
makes recovery from an unexpected exit (user or system) easy and quite
possibly automatic to fix. (It's in the data, dummy).

It is not yet perfect but it works. Essentially lines before and after the
area of interest are prepended with a special mark. This mark coupled with
a modified fold expression and some syntax highlighting will fold away and
make invisible the other areas of the outline. This allows for completely
normal VO use and preserves the undo/redo buffer which was not possible
with the dangerous version of hoisting.

Anyhow, some modified VO files should be available later today for initial
user testing.

Noel