New dircolors syntax file with on-the-fly colour highlighting

New dircolors syntax file with on-the-fly colour highlighting

Jan Larres
Hi all,

I have rewritten the dircolors syntax file to be able to highlight the
specified colours on-the-fly, similar to what the various CSS/HTML
colour highlighting scripts do. Since it was necessary to use
autocommands for this, which is a bit unusual for syntax files, Bram
suggested that I post it here first to see if anyone complains. If not
it's going to replace the current script in the Vim distribution. So
please let me know if you find any problems with it.

Jan

--
-[ OpenPGP key ID: 00A0FD5F ]-
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat,

dircolors.vim (6K) Download Attachment

Re: New dircolors syntax file with on-the-fly colour highlighting

tooth pik
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:15:51PM +1200, Jan Larres wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have rewritten the dircolors syntax file to be able to highlight the
> specified colours on-the-fly, similar to what the various CSS/HTML
> colour highlighting scripts do. Since it was necessary to use
> autocommands for this, which is a bit unusual for syntax files, Bram
> suggested that I post it here first to see if anyone complains. If not
> it's going to replace the current script in the Vim distribution. So
> please let me know if you find any problems with it.

forgive me for not paying enough attention to earlier discussions but
I seem to not know how to test this -- pray tell, what filetype would
a buffer want to be in order to take advantage of this colorscheme, or
I should probably call it a syntax

say for example I had a buffer created via

    setlocal noswapfile
    setlocal buftype=nofile
    setlocal bufhidden=hide
    r!ls -algG --group-directories-first

I've got a home grown [much simplified] version of netrw that would be
a lot sexier if I could color it up with a set ft=? command

I tried dir, directory, and netrw -- only netrw made any difference,
but it didn't recognize the executables as such, just the symlinks

or do I misunderstand what dircolors syntax is for?

--
_|_ _  __|_|_ ._ o|
 |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

Re: New dircolors syntax file with on-the-fly colour highlighting

Christian Brabandt
Hi tooth!

On So, 18 Aug 2013, tooth pik wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:15:51PM +1200, Jan Larres wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I have rewritten the dircolors syntax file to be able to highlight the
> > specified colours on-the-fly, similar to what the various CSS/HTML
> > colour highlighting scripts do. Since it was necessary to use
> > autocommands for this, which is a bit unusual for syntax files, Bram
> > suggested that I post it here first to see if anyone complains. If not
> > it's going to replace the current script in the Vim distribution. So
> > please let me know if you find any problems with it.
>
> forgive me for not paying enough attention to earlier discussions but
> I seem to not know how to test this -- pray tell, what filetype would
> a buffer want to be in order to take advantage of this colorscheme, or
> I should probably call it a syntax
>
> say for example I had a buffer created via
>
>     setlocal noswapfile
>     setlocal buftype=nofile
>     setlocal bufhidden=hide
>     r!ls -algG --group-directories-first
>
> I've got a home grown [much simplified] version of netrw that would be
> a lot sexier if I could color it up with a set ft=? command
>
> I tried dir, directory, and netrw -- only netrw made any difference,
> but it didn't recognize the executables as such, just the symlinks
>
> or do I misunderstand what dircolors syntax is for?

I think this is for dircolors files, e.g. dircolors -p >~/.dircolors

The .dircolors file should readily be recognized of the correct type.

regards,
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
  Rob Otter

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 05:08:07PM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Hi tooth!

> On So, 18 Aug 2013, tooth pik wrote:

> > On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:15:51PM +1200, Jan Larres wrote:
> >

> > or do I misunderstand what dircolors syntax is for?

> I think this is for dircolors files, e.g. dircolors -p >~/.dircolors

> The .dircolors file should readily be recognized of the correct type.

oh dear I've stepped in it again -- never mind

thanx Christian

--