New use for VimOutliner

Steve Litt
Hi all,

My office looked just like it did after the 1/17/1994 earthquake. Not a square
inch of space visible on any shelf, table, desk or floor. The first task was
disposal, and I threw out 3 bags of trash (and I'm still throwing out some),
but as trash disposal met diminishing returns, I had to turn to other things.

Books, especially fiction books, were a problem. So I decided to box the
books. I've done that in the past, but unfortunately the books get forgotten
and several years later I buy duplicates, which excaserbates the problem.

This time I have a boxed book outline, with level 1 being boxes, level 2 being
author or category, and level 3 being books. Everything is checkboxed. If I
take a book out of a box, I'll uncheck it, and then re-check it when I'm done
and have put it back in the box.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: New use for VimOutliner

Noel Henson
On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My office looked just like it did after the 1/17/1994 earthquake. Not a
> square inch of space visible on any shelf, table, desk or floor. The
> first task was disposal, and I threw out 3 bags of trash (and I'm still
> throwing out some), but as trash disposal met diminishing returns, I had
> to turn to other things.
>
> Books, especially fiction books, were a problem. So I decided to box the
> books. I've done that in the past, but unfortunately the books get
> forgotten and several years later I buy duplicates, which excaserbates
> the problem.
>
> This time I have a boxed book outline, with level 1 being boxes, level 2
> being author or category, and level 3 being books. Everything is
> checkboxed. If I take a book out of a box, I'll uncheck it, and then
> re-check it when I'm done and have put it back in the box.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US

Excellent new use! Both a hierarchical database and inventory control!

BTW, these are the things we should remember to submit onto the
vimoutliner.org website.

Noel

Re: New use for VimOutliner

Scott Scriven-2
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Books, especially fiction books, were a problem. So I decided
> to box the books. I've done that in the past, but unfortunately
> the books get forgotten and several years later I buy
> duplicates, which excaserbates the problem.

For several years, I've been getting rid of my books.  Every time
I find an electronic copy, I give away my paper copy.  It's kind
of nice having less stuff to lug around, and I find it more
pleasant to read onscreen anyway.  (especially on a high-DPI
device like a nokia n810)

> This time I have a boxed book outline, with level 1 being
> boxes, level 2 being author or category, and level 3 being
> books. Everything is checkboxed. If I take a book out of a box,
> I'll uncheck it, and then re-check it when I'm done and have
> put it back in the box.

Good idea...  I may be moving soon, and I'll have to remember to
outline my moving boxes!

As for books, I keep an outline of books to read (or books I've
read, complete with the date I last finished, how much I liked
it, and any other notes), but since most of them are now on my
hard drive, I just organize them into directories.

-- Scott