Newbie question re permissions installing MacVim

Newbie question re permissions installing MacVim

scazzy
I'm VERY new to fiddling around with terminal, so I apologise in advance for my ignorance.

I have installed MacVim 7.4 on my Mac running OS X 10.10.2.  The download includes the mvim script, which I understand should be moved into a directory on my PATH.

Running echo $PATH in terminal gives me:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

So from the directory /Users/<NAME>/Downloads/MacVim-snapshot-74 (where the mvim script is located) I entered the command:

mv mvim /usr/bin/

and get back the response:

mv: rename mvim to /usr/local/bin/mvim: Permission denied

ls -al gives:

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 <name>  staff  2220 23 Feb 08:03 mvim

and from /usr/local ls -al gives:

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 23 Feb 11:55 bin

Qn 1. Is this the correct directory to move the file to?
Qn 2. Is this the correct command to use to move the file?
Qn 3. Does the "staff" in ls output indicate the system does not recognise me as the owner of the file?

Qn 4. What do I need to do in order to sort out the permissions and move the file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Newbie question re permissions installing MacVim

Douglas Drumond

> Qn 1. Is this the correct directory to move the file to?
> Qn 2. Is this the correct command to use to move the file?
> Qn 3. Does the "staff" in ls output indicate the system does not recognise me as the owner of the file?
>
> Qn 4. What do I need to do in order to sort out the permissions and move the file?

You should move it with sudo. But I would recommend either /usr/local/bin or creating a bin directory under your home, putting mvim there and adding this directory to your PATH (add export PATH=$PATH:~/bin to ~/.bashrc).

Regarding using snapshot 74. Please revert to snapshot 73 [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases/tag/snapshot-73] from Björn's repository. Snapshot 74 has some bugs that crashes with some plugins. I'm working on a fix.

--
Douglas Drumond

On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 00:33:37 UTC, Douglas Drumond  wrote:

> > Qn 1. Is this the correct directory to move the file to?
> > Qn 2. Is this the correct command to use to move the file?
> > Qn 3. Does the "staff" in ls output indicate the system does not recognise me as the owner of the file?
> >
> > Qn 4. What do I need to do in order to sort out the permissions and move the file?
>

> You should move it with sudo. But I would recommend either /usr/local/bin or creating a bin directory under your home, putting mvim there and adding this directory to your PATH (add export PATH=$PATH:~/bin to ~/.bashrc).
>
> Regarding using snapshot 74. Please revert to snapshot 73 [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases/tag/snapshot-73] from Björn's repository. Snapshot 74 has some bugs that crashes with some plugins. I'm working on a fix.
>
> --
> Douglas Drumond
Thank you Douglas - apologies for the delay acknowledging your very prompt response; for some reason I didn't receive an email notifying me of your reply.  Sorry and thank you.  I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on.  Thanks again.  Brian

Re: Newbie question re permissions installing MacVim

Douglas Drumond

Thank you Douglas - apologies for the delay acknowledging your very prompt response; for some reason I didn't receive an email notifying me of your reply.  Sorry and thank you.  I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on.  Thanks again.  Brian

​No problem. My last piece of advice is outdated, though. I pushed a fix to snapshot 74 and I'm using it everyday, I guess it's safe.