No menubar or toolbar in 6.3 GUI

Marv Boyes
This is probably painfully basic and covered elsewhere; I haven't been
able to find anything on my own, so I apologize beforehand if this has
been done to death elsewhere.

I compiled 6.3 under Linux; I can't recall that I specified any special
build options. When I run it with the -g option, I get vim in a nice X
window, but without the menubar or toolbar full of icons provided by the
version of 6.2.72 that came with my distribution. _That_ installation
was all RPM-based and included several packages related to the GUI; I
have no idea what it all entailed in terms of installation and
configuration.

What am I missing? Again, I apologize if this is a painfully stupid
newbie thing, but any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance.

Re: No menubar or toolbar in 6.3 GUI

Sean Hubbell
Marv Boyes wrote:

> This is probably painfully basic and covered elsewhere; I haven't been
> able to find anything on my own, so I apologize beforehand if this has
> been done to death elsewhere.
>
> I compiled 6.3 under Linux; I can't recall that I specified any
> special build options. When I run it with the -g option, I get vim in
> a nice X window, but without the menubar or toolbar full of icons
> provided by the version of 6.2.72 that came with my distribution.
> _That_ installation was all RPM-based and included several packages
> related to the GUI; I have no idea what it all entailed in terms of
> installation and configuration.
>
> What am I missing? Again, I apologize if this is a painfully stupid
> newbie thing, but any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks very much in advance.

Are you using GTK(2) or X11?

Also, if you do not need to compile vim, it's a lot easier to use an
installer from you linux distro to install. For example, Fedora Core III
(with yum installed ... it comes with the distro usually), you can
install by executing the following as root:

yum install vim-X11
or
yum install vim-enhanced
or
yum install vim-minimal

depending on what you want. If you let me know what gui toolkit your
wanting to use, I can help more.

Sean

Re: No menubar or toolbar in 6.3 GUI

Tim Chase-2
> build options. When I run it with the -g option, I get vim in
> a nice X window, but without the menubar or toolbar full of
> icons provided by the

My first thought would be to check your 'guioptions' setting:

        :set guioptions

This will return a string of letters, each of which controls the
visual behavior of gvim.  In particular, it sounds like you're
looking for the "m", "M", and "T" options to be included, as are
detailed in the help for that setting:

        :help guioptions

Additionally, I presume that when you do

        :version

you have the "+menu" and "+toolbar" included in your build options.

Hope this gives you some avenues for remedy.

-tim