[OT] If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

[OT] If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

Edward L. Fox
Hi VIMmers,

Mr. Moolenaar had implemented a very nice interface for formatting text in the
newest Vim 7 snapshot. See ":help formatexpr" for more details.

As Mr. Moolenaar said, now it is possible to write our own formatting script
to deal with more complicated languages, for example, the Asian languages such
as Chinese, Japanese and Korean. But I'm still puzzled of how to write this
kind of scripts. Any one can offer me a script that can emulate the current
behavior of the built-in formatting function? Including:

1. Detect the information from the current settings, such as "textwidth",
"linebreak", "formatoptions", etc.

2. Preserve the indent and prefix of each line.

3. Some other stuff, if exists.

Thanks very much for your help!

Regards,

Edward L. Fox

Re: [OT] If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

Edward L. Fox
Hi VIMmers,

Quite sorry for posting a wrong article because of the mistake of my clipboard
manager... :-(

Mr. Moolenaar once described the reason why we should write double "m" when we
say "VIMmer", "VIMming". So according to this kind of rules, should we change
the letter "i" in "Vi" to "y" when we refer "Vyer", "Vying"?

Nice day!

On 2/22/06, Edward L. Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi VIMmers,
>
> Mr. Moolenaar had implemented a very nice interface for formatting text in the
> newest Vim 7 snapshot. See ":help formatexpr" for more details.
>
> As Mr. Moolenaar said, now it is possible to write our own formatting script
> to deal with more complicated languages, for example, the Asian languages such
> as Chinese, Japanese and Korean. But I'm still puzzled of how to write this
> kind of scripts. Any one can offer me a script that can emulate the current
> behavior of the built-in formatting function? Including:
>
> 1. Detect the information from the current settings, such as "textwidth",
> "linebreak", "formatoptions", etc.
>
> 2. Preserve the indent and prefix of each line.
>
> 3. Some other stuff, if exists.
>
> Thanks very much for your help!
>

> Regards,
>

> Edward L. Fox

Re: [OT] If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

Matthew Winn
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:53:56PM +0800, Edward L. Fox wrote:
> If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

"Slumming"?  (Or is that what you'd call using emacs?)

Alternative answer: "archaeology".

Matthew Winn ([hidden email])

Re: [OT] If we call "using vim" as "vimming", then what about using vi?

Aaron Griffin
On 2/22/06, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Alternative answer: "archaeology".

Signed!