Omni completion stack overflow

Doug Kearns
G'day all,

Can someone confirm for me that calling the omnifunc in an empty file
produces the following:

SystemStackError: (eval):7: stack level too deep

I'm also experiencing random(ie. I haven't had time to find the cause)
segfaults so I just want to check the above first.  Note that I'm not
using rails.vim so it may be different to the other recently fixed
problems.

Thanks,
Doug

Re: Omni completion stack overflow

Tim Pope-2
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 08:48:49PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> Can someone confirm for me that calling the omnifunc in an empty file
> produces the following:

> SystemStackError: (eval):7: stack level too deep

I cannot confirm this.  I simply get a list of top level objects,
starting with ARGF.

> I'm also experiencing random(ie. I haven't had time to find the cause)
> segfaults so I just want to check the above first.  Note that I'm not
> using rails.vim so it may be different to the other recently fixed
> problems.

Both stack overflows and segfaults can be caused by initializing the
ruby interface (the first time :ruby is used) in a sufficiently nested
context.  Try adding "silent! ruby nil" to your vimrc.  If this
hides the problem, the true cause is some other plugin initializing
the ruby interface.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: Omni completion stack overflow

Jason LaRiviere
Tim Pope wrote:
> I cannot confirm this.  I simply get a list of top level objects, starting
> with ARGF.

Yep, same here.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:10:54AM -0600, Tim Pope wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 08:48:49PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> > I'm also experiencing random(ie. I haven't had time to find the cause)
> > segfaults so I just want to check the above first.  Note that I'm not
> > using rails.vim so it may be different to the other recently fixed
> > problems.
>
> Both stack overflows and segfaults can be caused by initializing the
> ruby interface (the first time :ruby is used) in a sufficiently nested
> context.  Try adding "silent! ruby nil" to your vimrc.  If this
> hides the problem, the true cause is some other plugin initializing
> the ruby interface.

Thanks for that, I managed to overlook your explanation in the
"s:rubypath in ftplugin/ruby.vim" thread.

Initializing the interface in my vimrc does seem to eliminate the
problem but running the omni completion script alone is enough to
trigger it (ie. when my ~/.vim contains only the vim-ruby runtime
files).

Has this general problem been reported 'upstream'?

Regards,
Doug

Re: Omni completion stack overflow

Mark Guzman
Doug Kearns wrote:

> Thanks for that, I managed to overlook your explanation in the
> "s:rubypath in ftplugin/ruby.vim" thread.
>
> Initializing the interface in my vimrc does seem to eliminate the
> problem but running the omni completion script alone is enough to
> trigger it (ie. when my ~/.vim contains only the vim-ruby runtime
> files).
>
> Has this general problem been reported 'upstream'?

No, this hasn't been mentioned on vim-dev so far, I'll do so now.

So far it has all been related back to the stack issue, all of the
people I've debugged with have had older versions of rails.vim installed.
  --mark

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:31:37AM -0500, Mark Guzman wrote:

> Doug Kearns wrote:
> > Thanks for that, I managed to overlook your explanation in the
> > "s:rubypath in ftplugin/ruby.vim" thread.
> >
> > Initializing the interface in my vimrc does seem to eliminate the
> > problem but running the omni completion script alone is enough to
> > trigger it (ie. when my ~/.vim contains only the vim-ruby runtime
> > files).
> >
> > Has this general problem been reported 'upstream'?
> >
> No, this hasn't been mentioned on vim-dev so far, I'll do so now.

Thanks.

> So far it has all been related back to the stack issue, all of the
> people I've debugged with have had older versions of rails.vim installed.

So am I the only one that can reproduce it with a clean Vim7
installation and the latest rubycomplete.vim?  I don't and never have
had rails.vim installed.  I've never even downloaded it. ;-)

Thanks,
Doug