One question about the Vim documentation?

One question about the Vim documentation?

Mike Bent

Dear Sir or Madam,

File: $vimruntime/doc/vi_diff.txt

Vim starts with 'nocompatible' automatically if you have a .vimrc

    file.  See |startup|.

What does mean |startup| in the documentation?

I do not find anywhere where is |startup|.

Where is |startup|?

I look forward to reading you

Yours fatihfully

pEpkey.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: One question about the Vim documentation?

Gary Johnson-4
On 2020-08-09, Mike Bent wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> File: $vimruntime/doc/vi_diff.txt

> Vim starts with 'nocompatible' automatically if you have a .vimrc
>
>     file.  See |startup|.

> What does mean |startup| in the documentation?
>
> I do not find anywhere where is |startup|.
>
> Where is |startup|?

That means that startup is a help topic.  You can open the
documentation file (the help file) containing that topic, with the
cursor on the keyword, by executing

    :help startup

or by placing the cursor on the word startup and typing

    Ctrl-]

You can read more about this by executing

    :help

Regards,
Gary

Re: One question about the Vim documentation?

Matt Ackeret

On Aug 8, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Mike Bent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

File: $vimruntime/doc/vi_diff.txt

Vim starts with 'nocompatible' automatically if you have a .vimrc

    file.  See |startup|.

What does mean |startup| in the documentation?

I do not find anywhere where is |startup|.

Where is |startup|?

Just type :help startup
in vim.

The |startup| is a tag.  From :help help
Jump to a subject:  Position the cursor on a tag (e.g. |bars|) and hit CTRL-].