Open macvim through terminal

Paul Wallace
Hey guys, I'm a complete newby to macvim.
The problem is that I'm not sure how to open macvim through terminal.
I've put macvim into my applications folder but I still can't open macvim with the
mvim or macvim commands in terminal.
Would it have something to do with my configuration path?

Thanks guys!

Re: Open macvim through terminal

Andrew Stewart
On 22 Nov 2014, at 06:04, Paul Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem is that I'm not sure how to open macvim through terminal.
> I've put macvim into my applications folder but I still can't open macvim with the
> mvim or macvim commands in terminal.
> Would it have something to do with my configuration path?

Yes, that sounds like the problem.

Type "echo $PATH" to see your path.  The 'mvim' script must be in one of the directories in your path, and also executable, for it to work.

"Executable" means that you can run it by typing "mvim".  Type "ls -l mvim" in mvim's directory.  You'll see something like:

$ ls -l ~/bin/mvim
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 andy  andy  2218 17 Aug  2010 /Users/andy/bin/mvim

If you don't see any "x"s in the first chunk of the line, run "chmod 755 mvim" to make it executable.

Yours,
Andy Stewart