Opening files in new buffers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening files in new buffers

Ven Tadipatri
I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
neither did gF.
  Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.
   I think vim has started to make me lazy to type, where I'm always
looking for 1 or 2 letter commands to do everything.

-Ven

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening files in new buffers

Ven Tadipatri
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Ven Tadipatri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
> directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
> chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
> It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
> when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
> way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
> neither did gF.

Actually I found out one neat trick - :sp splits a new window (or new
buffer? Are the two names interchangeable), but keeps the cursor on
the same file, so I just hit enter again to open the file.
There's tabbed browsing in vim as well right? Sometimes I notice links
being opened in horizontal tabs. What's the difference between these
tabs and the buffers that are opened? In other words, what are the
advantages/disadvantages of using tabs versus buffers?

>  Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
> buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
> bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.
>   I think vim has started to make me lazy to type, where I'm always
> looking for 1 or 2 letter commands to do everything.
>
> -Ven
>

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening files in new buffers

Tim Chase
In reply to this post by Ven Tadipatri
On 12/01/2010 03:51 PM, Ven Tadipatri wrote:
> I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
> directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
> chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
> It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
> when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
> way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
> neither did gF.

It sounds like you want "o" (lowercase-oh), used to open the file
under the cursor in a new window.

   :help netrw-o

Though I agree that your Ctrl+W and gF are reasonable
expectations...I myself used them diminishingly for the 2-3
months it took me to finally wire my brain to use "o". :)

>    Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
> buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
> bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.

I don't know of any built-in single-command to do it.  However,
you can either map a command to do it:

   :nnoremap <f4> :w<cr>:bd<cr>

or you can fiddle with the 'bufhidden' option:

   :set bufhidden=delete

and then just use ":wq" as normal.

-tim



--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening files in new buffers

Charles E Campbell Jr
In reply to this post by Ven Tadipatri
Ven Tadipatri wrote:

> I like the way vim allows you to view the files in a directory, then
> directly go to them. But then to go back after editing the file I
> chose, I repeatedly hit ctrl-O until I get back to the file listing.
> It would be nice if I can maybe open the file in a new buffer, and
> when I'm done, just close the new buffer I opened. Is there an easy
> way to do this? Ctrl+w, followed by enter didn't seem to work, and
> neither did gF.
>   Also, on a somewhat related note, is there a way to quickly save a
> buffer and then close it. :wq allows you to save and quit, but I'm a
> bit annoyed by having to do :w<enter>, :bd<enter>.
>    I think vim has started to make me lazy to type, where I'm always
> looking for 1 or 2 letter commands to do everything.
>  
Try

:Rex

If you use a mouse, then also look at :he netrw-mouse ; you can ge a
double-leftmouse click to return you to the netrw window.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening files in new buffers

Chris Jones-44
In reply to this post by Ven Tadipatri
On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 05:07:19PM EST, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

[..]

> There's tabbed browsing in vim as well right?

More like tabbed editing. ;-)

> Sometimes I notice links being opened in horizontal tabs. What's the
> difference between these tabs and the buffers that are opened? In
> other words, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using tabs
> versus buffers?

This may help clarify buffers vs. windows & tabs:

  :help buffers
  :help window
  :help tabpage

Chasing the web browser analogy, Vim's windows and tab pages loosely
correspond to a tabbed browser's tabs, while Vim's buffers are a bit
like the browser's cache.

Do you mean (dis)advantages of using ‘windows’ vs. using ‘tab pages’?

This Vim tip provides many interesting suggestions of things you can do
to put Vim's ‘tab pages’ to good use:

  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_tips_for_using_tab_pages

If you enter ‘tabs’ in the wiki's search box you will get a list of all
the currently available tips relative to ‘tabs pages’:

  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs

HTH

cj

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php