Quantcast

Opening large files

Rajesh Kannan-3
G'day,

I recently saw mails in the group with regards to a new release and lots of people responsing with their suggestions. I lost that mail chain and hence I am writing a separate one with a suggestion.

Could the programatically contributing members please try to make Vim faster when opening large files? Even when I open a file of say 2 megs it takes 3-4 seconds more than say Ultraedit. Larger text files, say about a 100 megs, take minutes to open.

I am so used to Vim since my early days, I by default open everything editable in it. The only problem I see is when I open such large text files. Else I feel absolutely at home working with this wonderful editor.

Cheers!
RK

Re: Opening large files

Claus Atzenbeck
On Fri, 17 May 2013 at 12:08pm +0530, Rajesh Kannan wrote:

> Could the programatically contributing members please try to make Vim
> faster when opening large files? Even when I open a file of say 2 megs it
> takes 3-4 seconds more than say Ultraedit. Larger text files, say about a
> 100 megs, take minutes to open.

There is the plugin "LargeFile"
<http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1506>. Does this solve
your issue to some extent?

Best,
Claus

Re: Opening large files

Rajesh Kannan-3
I knew of it but never took the time to use that plugin as I have the option to open the larger files in Uedit.

While trying to open the link you sent, the website returns the an error opening that page.
---------
Vim Online Error
script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
---------
Will try a little while later and see if this plugin helps as you seem to suggest.

Regards.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajesh Kannan

On Fri, 17 May 2013 at 12:53pm +0530, Rajesh Kannan wrote:

> While trying to open the link you sent, the website returns the an error
> opening that page.

Try again later. It works for me.

You may also use <https://github.com/vim-scripts/LargeFile> as an
alternative URI.

> Will try a little while later and see if this plugin helps as you seem to
> suggest.

I have never tested it myself, but knew that it exists. Let me know it
works for you.

Best,
Claus

RE: Opening large files

John Beckett-2
Rajesh Kannan wrote:
> ---------
> Vim Online Error
> script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> ---------

I just noticed that problem myself, and came here to see if
there was a discussion. I will investigate the situation in an
hour, if I get time, otherwise not until tomorrow. There was a
similar problem a couple of weeks ago.

Re the script, you can probably find it by searching for
LargeFile at the author's site:
http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/

John

Re: Opening large files

John Little-4
On Friday, May 17, 2013 6:38:04 PM UTC+12, Rajesh Kannan wrote:

> Could the programatically contributing members please try to make Vim faster when opening large files? Even when I open a file of say 2 megs it takes 3-4 seconds more than say Ultraedit. Larger text files, say about a 100 megs, take minutes to open.

2 megs is not a large file these days; it should not take 3 or 4 seconds to load.  On my 7 year old desktop it takes 700 ms to load a 4 MB text file, with start up logging on, though I'd just created it so would be coming out of disc cache.

I suggest diagnosing the problem by starting vim with the --startuptime command line option.  F.ex.,

   gvim --startuptime time.txt file.txt

and look at time.txt to find out where the delay is.

I do use and like the large file plugin.  By default it defines "large" as "20MB". Setting this to 200, so that the large file plugin is not used, a 100 MB text file I've just created took 4.3 s to load.  With the large file plugin active, it takes a second longer, because a message appears for a second.  From this I expect the plugin won't help you.

I recall reports on this list of slowness starting vim on windows systems where the swap file is put on a network share. See :help 'directory'.

Regards, and HTH, John Little

RE: Opening large files

John Beckett-2
>> ---------
>> Vim Online Error
>> script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>> ---------
>
> I just noticed that problem myself, and came here to see if
> there was a discussion. I will investigate the situation in
> an hour, if I get time, otherwise not until tomorrow. There
> was a similar problem a couple of weeks ago.

The problem has been corrected, not by me, and vim.org works.

John