Paste problems with version 7.0c2

4mir Salihefendic
I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.

The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.

I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].

This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.

The former discussion can be found here:

Kind regards
Amir

Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

Benji Fisher
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:59:15PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:

> I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
>
> The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
> pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
>
> I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
>
> This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
>
> The former discussion can be found here:

     That hurts.

     I forgot to mention, in my call for testing:  please be specific
about the version of Vim.app that you are testing, and your OS.  I think
the only version of 7.0c2 is the universal one, so that is OK, but in
the future, please specify ppc, intel, or universal.  Since you are
running OS X 10.4.x, please specify PPC or Intel.

     Can anyone reproduce this bug?  Are the other binaries currently
posted any better?

                                        --Benji Fisher

Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

4mir Salihefendic
Hi Benji

I will be more specific in the future. I am on a Powermac G5 (i.e. a
PPC architure).

This problem got fixed in the snapshot vim-7.0232, but it managed to come back.
The vim-7.0232 had problems with anti-aliasing thought (which in 7.0c2
is fixed).

Kind regards
Amir

On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:59:15PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
> > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
> >
> > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
> > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
> >
> > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
> >
> > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
> >
> > The former discussion can be found here:
>
>      That hurts.
>
>      I forgot to mention, in my call for testing:  please be specific
> about the version of Vim.app that you are testing, and your OS.  I think
> the only version of 7.0c2 is the universal one, so that is OK, but in
> the future, please specify ppc, intel, or universal.  Since you are
> running OS X 10.4.x, please specify PPC or Intel.
>
>      Can anyone reproduce this bug?  Are the other binaries currently
> posted any better?
>
>                                         --Benji Fisher

Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

Chris Fonnesbecck
On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
>
> The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
> pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
>
> I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
>
> This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.

I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
works fine.

C.

Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:

> On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
> >
> > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
> > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
> >
> > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
> >
> > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
>
> I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
> Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
> works fine.

     In my testing, there is a problem with using the system clipboard
(copying from Vim.app and pasting to another application, for example)
if you compile vim with "normal" features.  The problem goes away if you
compile with "big" features; I think the difference is that "big"
features gives you +multi_byte and +iconv .

     The problem with "big" features, according to the reports I have
received, is that it messes up font drawing on Intel Macs.

     Decide which problem you can live with for now, and let's hope that
it is fixed before vim 7.0 is released.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

4mir Salihefendic
I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
this pasting issue...
I don't have the rendering problem.
The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

Kind regards
Amir -- http://amix.dk/

On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
> > this pasting issue...
> > I don't have the rendering problem.
> > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.
> >

> Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big feature set
> seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).

I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.

I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:21:27PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
> > > this pasting issue...
> > > I don't have the rendering problem.
> > > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

     I have not tried that version yet, so it is possible that something
has changed in the last day or two.  For now, please check

:version

to see whether you actually have "big" features (first line or two of
the output) and +multi_byte +iconv in particular.  If you do, I can test
it on a similar system.

> > Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big
> > feature set seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on
> > 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).
>
> I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
> new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.
>
> I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
> 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

     The version of Xcode is a convenient way to specify your
environment.  Also, your gcc version does not tell the whole story,
since the libraries, frameworks, header files also play a big role.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

4mir Salihefendic
Hi Benji

I have now re-compiled and I have checked that +big feature set is
set. The paste problem is gone, but I don't have any anti-aliasing.
Anyway, a guy posted for some time ago a fix for the anti aliasing problem...

Kind regards
Amir