Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making some Vim centered software. I could use VimL,
but for me VimL is incredibly difficult to use. Or I could require
Python enabled Vim, and do all the Vim programming in Python. Of
course, this would fail if user's Vim wasn't compiled with Python
capabilities.

What percentage of today's distros do you think are compiled without
Python capabilities?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Paul-4
These are the servers that I can see running now, and their relevant Vim --version flags.

CentOS 6:          +python -lpython2.6
CentOS 7:          +python/dyn -python3
RHEL   6:          +python -lpython2.6
RHEL   7:          +python/dyn -python3
Debian 6:          +python -lpython2.6
Debian 7:          -python -python3 -lpython2.7
Debian 8:          -python -python3
Ubuntu 12:         +python -python3 -lpython2.7
Ubuntu 14:         +python -python3 -lpython2.7
Slackware current: +python -python3 -lpython2.7

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

MarcWeber
Eventually you may want to talk about your software first.
Maybe it already exists ..

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Christian Brabandt
Hi Steve!

On Di, 19 Jan 2016, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of making some Vim centered software. I could use VimL,
> but for me VimL is incredibly difficult to use. Or I could require
> Python enabled Vim, and do all the Vim programming in Python. Of
> course, this would fail if user's Vim wasn't compiled with Python
> capabilities.
>
> What percentage of today's distros do you think are compiled without
> Python capabilities?
>
> Thanks,

Maybe take a look at Debians popularity contest:

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=vim-gnome+vim-nox+vim-gtk+vim&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2012-01-01&to_date=2016-01-19&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

Take this example, this plots the number of people voting on vim,
vim-nox, vim-gnome and vim-gtk (of which only vim does not contain the
python dependency I believe) between 2012 and today.

So you can see vim without python is an order of magnitude more
installed. However, this might be caused, by users who want vim (or a vi
clone) and install the first vim package they find.

Best,
Christian
--
Deswegen sagte man ganz richtig: "Wer die Menschen betrügen
will, muss vor allen Dingen das Absurde plausibel machen."

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Bram Moolenaar

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Di, 19 Jan 2016, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of making some Vim centered software. I could use VimL,
> > but for me VimL is incredibly difficult to use. Or I could require
> > Python enabled Vim, and do all the Vim programming in Python. Of
> > course, this would fail if user's Vim wasn't compiled with Python
> > capabilities.
> >
> > What percentage of today's distros do you think are compiled without
> > Python capabilities?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Maybe take a look at Debians popularity contest:
>
> https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=vim-gnome+vim-nox+vim-gtk+vim&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2012-01-01&to_date=2016-01-19&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> Take this example, this plots the number of people voting on vim,
> vim-nox, vim-gnome and vim-gtk (of which only vim does not contain the
> python dependency I believe) between 2012 and today.
>
> So you can see vim without python is an order of magnitude more
> installed. However, this might be caused, by users who want vim (or a vi
> clone) and install the first vim package they find.

Nice graph.  I'm not sure if it's fair, but "emacs" does not get close..

8. You spend half of the plane trip with your laptop on your lap...and your
   child in the overhead compartment.

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Steve Litt
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:21:34 +0000
Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eventually you may want to talk about your software first.
> Maybe it already exists ..

It definitely exists already, and right now that's all I can say about
the situation :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Re: Percentage of distros using Python enabled Vim?

Steve Litt
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:42:08 +0100
Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve!
>
> On Di, 19 Jan 2016, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of making some Vim centered software. I could use VimL,
> > but for me VimL is incredibly difficult to use. Or I could require
> > Python enabled Vim, and do all the Vim programming in Python. Of
> > course, this would fail if user's Vim wasn't compiled with Python
> > capabilities.
> >
> > What percentage of today's distros do you think are compiled without
> > Python capabilities?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Maybe take a look at Debians popularity contest:
>
> https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=vim-gnome+vim-nox+vim-gtk+vim&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2012-01-01&to_date=2016-01-19&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> Take this example, this plots the number of people voting on vim,
> vim-nox, vim-gnome and vim-gtk (of which only vim does not contain
> the python dependency I believe) between 2012 and today.
>
> So you can see vim without python is an order of magnitude more
> installed. However, this might be caused, by users who want vim (or a
> vi clone) and install the first vim package they find.

Thanks Christian,

The graph you referenced is very informative and causes me to change
the question.

On Debian, all I'd need to do is ask people to install vim-gtk or
vim-gnome or vim-nox to get some sort of Python.

So my real question is: On what percentage of today's distros is it
easy and painless to install a Python-enhanced Vim using the distro's
package manager?

Thanks Christian. If I hadn't seen that graph, I might have gone off
half cocked.

"On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> These are the servers that I can see running now, and their relevant Vim
> --version flags.
>
> CentOS 6:          +python -lpython2.6
> CentOS 7:          +python/dyn -python3 RHEL   6:          +python
> -lpython2.6
> RHEL   7:          +python/dyn -python3
> Debian 6:          +python -lpython2.6
> Debian 7:          -python -python3 -lpython2.7
> Debian 8:          -python -python3
> Ubuntu 12:         +python -python3 -lpython2.7
> Ubuntu 14:         +python -python3 -lpython2.7
> Slackware current: +python -python3 -lpython2.7

On openSUSE Leap 42.1 (i.e. current "stable") I see the following:
/usr/bin/gvim 7.4.326 Huge +gui_gtk2 +python/dyn +python3/dyn (package gvim)
/usr/bin/vim → /bin/vim
/bin/vim 7.4.326 Huge -gui +python/dyn +python3/dyn (package vim)
Both lack patch 7.4.208 "Mercurial picks up files that are not
distributed (empty)".
Package vim-data (runtime files) is a common dependency.

Paul didn't mention version numbers, but I think that my distro is not
atypical among "stable" distros for being more than 800 patchlevels
behind Bram's current source. This is one of the reasons why I compile
my own. Another is so I can select the features I want.