Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
Hi,

 Looking into

                 :help \<TeX\>

 does not that much information about the support of generating nice
 and find documents via plain TeX.

 Where can I get informations about what I can
 do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?

 Keep hacking!
 mcc

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Benji Fisher
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 06:54:29AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Looking into
>
> :help \<TeX\>
>
>  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
>  and find documents via plain TeX.
>
>  Where can I get informations about what I can
>  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?
>
>  Keep hacking!
>  mcc

     That is an odd looking use of :help .  Perhaps you meant to try

:helpgrep \<TeX\>

instead?

     Note that the tex file type is for LaTeX and plaintex is used for
plain TeX.  See

:help ft-tex-plugin

if your plain TeX files are given file type tex.  (I am assuming you are
using vim 7.  Correct me if I am wrong!)

     The default ftplugin/plaintex.vim does a few things:  it sets
options so that \input files will be recognized for include-file
searches (:help include-search) and comments are recognized as such.
What are the three features you miss most from AucTeX?

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: Benji Fisher <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Plain TeX support ?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:16:00 -0400

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 06:54:29AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Looking into
> >
> > :help \<TeX\>
> >
> >  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
> >  and find documents via plain TeX.
> >
> >  Where can I get informations about what I can
> >  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?
> >
> >  Keep hacking!
> >  mcc
>
>      That is an odd looking use of :help .  Perhaps you meant to try
>
> :helpgrep \<TeX\>
>
> instead?
>
>      Note that the tex file type is for LaTeX and plaintex is used for
> plain TeX.  See
>
> :help ft-tex-plugin
>
> if your plain TeX files are given file type tex.  (I am assuming you are
> using vim 7.  Correct me if I am wrong!)
>
>      The default ftplugin/plaintex.vim does a few things:  it sets
> options so that \input files will be recognized for include-file
> searches (:help include-search) and comments are recognized as such.
> What are the three features you miss most from AucTeX?
>
> HTH --Benji Fisher

Hi Benji !

 Thanks a lot for your reply and pointing me to the right help.
 I will see, what the plugin does for me and will post again in
 case of missing a certain thing (AucTeX-related or not :)

 Have a nice Sunday!
 mcc

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: Benji Fisher <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:16:00 -0400

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 06:54:29AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Looking into
> >
> > :help \<TeX\>
> >
> >  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
> >  and find documents via plain TeX.
> >
> >  Where can I get informations about what I can
> >  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?
> >
> >  Keep hacking!
> >  mcc
>
>      That is an odd looking use of :help .  Perhaps you meant to try
>
> :helpgrep \<TeX\>
>
> instead?
>
>      Note that the tex file type is for LaTeX and plaintex is used for
> plain TeX.  See
>
> :help ft-tex-plugin
>
> if your plain TeX files are given file type tex.  (I am assuming you are
> using vim 7.  Correct me if I am wrong!)
>
>      The default ftplugin/plaintex.vim does a few things:  it sets
> options so that \input files will be recognized for include-file
> searches (:help include-search) and comments are recognized as such.
> What are the three features you miss most from AucTeX?
>
> HTH --Benji Fisher

After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
would say the following things are missing:

A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
  cursor position after doing the keystroke.

B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
  editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.

C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
  - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
  should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
  to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.

I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
Dont know.

Keep hacking and TeXing!
mcc

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Yongwei Wu
On 9/24/06, Meino Christian Cramer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
> would say the following things are missing:
>
> A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
>   cursor position after doing the keystroke.

It is easily done with mappings, e.g. (define CTRL-I in insert mode):

You can add such lines to your ftplugin\plaintex.vim.

> B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
>   editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.

Vim is not an IDE. However, I have put these lines in
C:\localtexmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini:

[TeX]
Editor="C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe" --servername tex
--remote-silent +%l "%f"

And have done similar with Yap. So when an error occurs, I just type
`e' to edit in the place where things went wrong; and double-click on
a line in the DVI viewer to go to the source.

Be sure to start editing with `gvim --servername tex xyz.tex' to
ensure only one GVIM is started to edit the TeX file, if you intent to
open the file before launching Tex or the DVI viewer.

> C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
>   - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
>   should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
>   to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.

I am not sure about this one. So leave it to others.

> I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
> the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
> with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
> Dont know.
>
> Keep hacking and TeXing!
> mcc

Best regards,

Yongwei

Wu Yongwei

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: "Yongwei Wu" <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:42:21 +0800

> On 9/24/06, Meino Christian Cramer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
> > would say the following things are missing:
> >
> > A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
> >   cursor position after doing the keystroke.
>
> It is easily done with mappings, e.g. (define CTRL-I in insert mode):

> You can add such lines to your ftplugin\plaintex.vim.
>

> > B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
> >   editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.
>
> Vim is not an IDE. However, I have put these lines in
> C:\localtexmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini:
>
> [TeX]
> Editor="C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe" --servername tex
> --remote-silent +%l "%f"
>
> And have done similar with Yap. So when an error occurs, I just type
> `e' to edit in the place where things went wrong; and double-click on
> a line in the DVI viewer to go to the source.
>
> Be sure to start editing with `gvim --servername tex xyz.tex' to
> ensure only one GVIM is started to edit the TeX file, if you intent to
> open the file before launching Tex or the DVI viewer.
>

> > C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
> >   - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
> >   should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
> >   to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.
>
> I am not sure about this one. So leave it to others.
>

> > I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
> > the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
> > with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
> > Dont know.
> >
> > Keep hacking and TeXing!
> > mcc
> >

> Best regards,
>
> Yongwei
>
> --
> Wu Yongwei

Hi Yongwei,

 thank you for your reply and suggestions. One thing I forget to
 mention is, that I only use vim (console) and Linux.

 Keep hacking !
 mcc

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Christian Ebert
* Meino Christian Cramer on Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 06:54:29 +0200:
>  Looking into
>
> :help \<TeX\>
>
>  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
>  and find documents via plain TeX.
>
>  Where can I get informations about what I can
>  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?

Personally I only use LaTeX, but the following Vim-scripts might
be worth looking into, even for plain TeX:

LaTeX-Suite <http://vim-latex.sf.net/>
is the one I use.

auctex.vim <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=162>
a smaller one, based on the above.

You might want to search for more at
<http://www.vim.org/search.php>.

_B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Benji Fisher
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 04:37:16PM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

[snip]

> After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
> would say the following things are missing:
>
> A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
>   cursor position after doing the keystroke.
>
> B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
>   editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.
>
> C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
>   - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
>   should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
>   to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.
>
> I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
> the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
> with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
> Dont know.
>
> Keep hacking and TeXing!
> mcc

     First, let me make some general remarks.  With vim 7.0, we
introduced the file type plaintex.  I made this the default, which
annoys some LaTeX users, so I am glad to know that there are still some
people out there who are using plain TeX (and editing with vim).  I
maintain the ftplugin files for tex and plaintex, so I could add some
features there; but I try to be conservative, and follow the principle
of least surprise.  So I prefer not to add too many key mappings to the
default ftplugin files (even smart quotes, which would be a *pleasantC*
surprise for most users).

A. What keys do you suggest for entering {\bf X } and {\it X \/}, and
do you really want a space after the X (cursor)?  Perhaps using the
control or meta (alt) key?  (I hope no one flames me for suggesting that
meta and alt are the same thing, when I really know better!)  Do you
want a marker added so that you can jump out of the braces and continue
input?  Presumably, whatever key you use to do {\bf X} in Insert mode
should also apply in Visual mode to insert "{\bf " before the Visual
selection and append "}" after it.

B. Another reply pointed out how to go in the other direction:  from a
viewer (such as Yap) to the tex file.  Of course, that depends on the
viewer.  Note that you can start vim (not gvim) with the --servername
TEX option, provided that vim is compiled with the +clientserver option.
(This may not be the default if vim is compiled without GUI support.
Check the output of

:version

to see if is is there.)

     It is certainly possible to compile using the quickfix commands.  I
think the compiler plugin was not updated when the plaintex file type
was introduced, so you may have to do something like

:let b:tex_flavor = 'plain'
:compiler tex
:make %

I will test this, and I may add something to the default
ftplugin/plaintex.vim to make it easier to use.

     Calling a viewer from withing vim is not hard to arrange, but it
depends on what OS you are using and what viewer.  I think that
latex-suite already does this; maybe I can steal something from there.

C. I wrote a TeXquotes() function years ago, and it has been
incorporated into latex-suite.  I will stick this, and some of the other
things I mentioned, into an ftplugin file and post it to vim.org .  I
think latex-suite also has something for translating umlauts into teX
sequences.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: Christian Ebert <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:14:27 +0200

> * Meino Christian Cramer on Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 06:54:29 +0200:
> >  Looking into
> >
> > :help \<TeX\>
> >
> >  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
> >  and find documents via plain TeX.
> >
> >  Where can I get informations about what I can
> >  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?
>
> Personally I only use LaTeX, but the following Vim-scripts might
> be worth looking into, even for plain TeX:
>
> LaTeX-Suite <http://vim-latex.sf.net/>
> is the one I use.
>
> auctex.vim <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=162>
> a smaller one, based on the above.
>
> You might want to search for more at
> <http://www.vim.org/search.php>.

> _B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>

Hi Christian,

 thanks a lot for the links !!! :)

 I will look at it. May be "truth" is a combination of them all ?!
 Will see...

 Have a nice evening!
 mcc

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: Benji Fisher <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:41:31 -0400

> [...]
> think the compiler plugin was not updated when the plaintex file type
> was introduced, so you may have to do something like
>
> :let b:tex_flavor = 'plain'
> :compiler tex
> :make %
>
> I will test this, and I may add something to the default
> ftplugin/plaintex.vim to make it easier to use.
>
>      Calling a viewer from withing vim is not hard to arrange, but it
> depends on what OS you are using and what viewer.  I think that
> latex-suite already does this; maybe I can steal something from there.
>
> C. I wrote a TeXquotes() function years ago, and it has been
> incorporated into latex-suite.  I will stick this, and some of the other
> things I mentioned, into an ftplugin file and post it to vim.org .  I
> think latex-suite also has something for translating umlauts into teX

Hi Benji,

 thanks a lot for your reply ! :)

 Yes, they are still there...the people who believes 8bit
 homecomputers are the best ones world ever has seen, that a terminal
 only needs 40x24 characters, that icons are a waste of time for one
 who still is able to read and that 1Mhz clock frequency is enough --
 if one is /really/ able to program good and fast code...and who are
 hacking plain TeX. LaTeX is for those, who do park there cars under
 trees in the shadow, you know...

 just kidding...nothing meant seriously...I only like the imagination
 of computer nerds still knowing the task of every memory cell of the OS of
 their computers (see Google: "Mapping the ATARI")

 ok, enough folklore, guys...hahahaha! :)))))))

 A: No, it was a type by me: I dont want a " " after the "X", only \it
 needs a "\/" after "X". The marker-thingy would be nice! This would
 be a better implementation as that of the original AucTeX! :)
 The bracketing (correct English?...dont looks like that...but even
 LEO.org does not know any valid translation of "to put something into brackets"
 from german to English in one word. (germ. "Klammerung")) of a visual
 mark with the font setting commands is great! That is, what AucTeX
 also provides -- and which I like very much! :)

 B: The situation with the dvi viewer has been relaxed at least for
 me: Kdvi understands to automagically reload a dvi file when it has
 changed . So it does not hurt that much, when I will start kdvi ones
 per "TeX session" by hand. Other users my use other dvi-viewers and
 may have other preferences here.

 I just got quickfix compiling my TeX file.
 But I had to set the following in my ~/.vimrc :

    "SETTINGS plain TeX
    "================================================================================
    augroup tex
        au FileType tex set tw=72
        au FileType tex compiler tex
    augroup END

    " TeX related stuff
    "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    let g:tex_flavor = "tex"            " default TeX format is "plain"

 It does not work for me when setting 'compiler tex' and
 'g:tex_flavor = "plaintex"'. I got the errormessage then:

    zsh: command not found: plaintex

    Press ENTER or type command to continue

 I am using a current version of teTeX on a Gentoo Linux System (daily
 updated via emerge). There is no executable called "plaintex".

 Thank you for supporting the /real/ TeX! {\bf :O) }

 Keep hacking!
 mcc

 PS: By the way: Are you using Ruby, Benji? I know "The principle of
 least surprise" from programming Ruby...

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Benji Fisher
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:07:22PM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> > [snip]
> > > After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
> > > would say the following things are missing:
> > >
> > > A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
> > >   cursor position after doing the keystroke.
> > >
> > > B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
> > >   editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.
> > >
> > > C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
> > >   - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
> > >   should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
> > >   to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.
> > >
> > > I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
> > > the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
> > > with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
> > > Dont know.

     I am sorry to have left this alone for so long.  I have been busy.
I spent too much time, shortly after the last note on this thread,
trying to get the 'errorformat' right for plain TeX, then I did not have
time to let you know about it.

     I just posted a preliminary version of plaintex support at
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1685
Please try it out.  If I get any feedback (from you or others) then I am
more likely to improve it.

A. I chose <C-B> for \bf and <C-T> for \it .  (Why not <C-I>?  Because
vim sees that as a <Tab>, and I do not want to remap that.)  In Insert
mode, you get {\bf }<++> or {\it \/}<++>, with the cursor inside the
braces, and <C-J> will jump to the <++> marker.  In Visual mode, you get
the Visual selection wrapped in "{\bf " and "}" or "{\it " and "\/}".
In Normal mode, the word under the cursor is wrapped.

     If you have similar requests, they are easy to add.

B. Next version.  This is not too hard to do.  What viewer do you use?
xdvi maybe?

C. I map " (in Insert mode) to produce either `` or '' (or " if it is
after a \ or in Math mode).  Do you also want something, maybe <C-Q>, to
act like <C-B>, so that it will work in Normal, Visual, and Insert
modes?

     I have not tried it, but there is already a script that translates
various non-ASCII characters into TeX commands.  I think it does the
translation when reading and writing the file.  Unfortunately,
www.vim.org is not responding right now, so I cannot give you a pointer.

[snip]
>  PS: By the way: Are you using Ruby, Benji? I know "The principle of
>  least surprise" from programming Ruby...

     No, I do not use Ruby.  I think the principle is older than that
language.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Plain TeX support ?

Benji Fisher
On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:31:33PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:

> B. Next version.  This is not too hard to do.  What viewer do you use?
> xdvi maybe?

     I forgot:  you mentioned Kdvi in an earlier post.

>      I have not tried it, but there is already a script that translates
> various non-ASCII characters into TeX commands.  I think it does the
> translation when reading and writing the file.  Unfortunately,
> www.vim.org is not responding right now, so I cannot give you a pointer.

     The site is back up, now.  Both
and
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1262
seem to do what you want.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Plain TeX support ?

meino.cramer
From: Benji Fisher <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:31:33 -0400

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:07:22PM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > > [snip]

>      I am sorry to have left this alone for so long.  I have been busy.
> I spent too much time, shortly after the last note on this thread,
> trying to get the 'errorformat' right for plain TeX, then I did not have
> time to let you know about it.
>
>      I just posted a preliminary version of plaintex support at
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1685
> Please try it out.  If I get any feedback (from you or others) then I am
> more likely to improve it.
>
> A. I chose <C-B> for \bf and <C-T> for \it .  (Why not <C-I>?  Because
> vim sees that as a <Tab>, and I do not want to remap that.)  In Insert
> mode, you get {\bf }<++> or {\it \/}<++>, with the cursor inside the
> braces, and <C-J> will jump to the <++> marker.  In Visual mode, you get
> the Visual selection wrapped in "{\bf " and "}" or "{\it " and "\/}".
> In Normal mode, the word under the cursor is wrapped.
>
>      If you have similar requests, they are easy to add.
>
> B. Next version.  This is not too hard to do.  What viewer do you use?
> xdvi maybe?
>
> C. I map " (in Insert mode) to produce either `` or '' (or " if it is
> after a \ or in Math mode).  Do you also want something, maybe <C-Q>, to
> act like <C-B>, so that it will work in Normal, Visual, and Insert
> modes?
>
>      I have not tried it, but there is already a script that translates
> various non-ASCII characters into TeX commands.  I think it does the
> translation when reading and writing the file.  Unfortunately,
> www.vim.org is not responding right now, so I cannot give you a pointer.
>
> [snip]
> >  PS: By the way: Are you using Ruby, Benji? I know "The principle of
> >  least surprise" from programming Ruby...
>
>      No, I do not use Ruby.  I think the principle is older than that
> language.
>
> HTH --Benji Fisher

Hi Benji,

 thank you very much for implementing this! I will test it... :O)

Keep hacking!
 mcc