Planning Vim 7.3

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Planning Vim 7.3

Bram Moolenaar

Hello Vim users!

It has been a long time since the last release: Vim 7.2 was released in
August 2008.  There have been many patches, but not everybody will use
them.  It's about time for 7.3!

I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
take a few hours of my time.  That basically means patches that are
ready to be included.

I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
More and more people are using Windows 7.  I think that taking Window XP
as the minimal platform will work well.  I hope we can make installing
Vim on MS-Windows as simple and reliable as possible.

I also plan to drop the split in "lang" and "extra" archives.  The
burden to have several feature sets is no longer justified by the
slightly smaller distribution.  Putting everything together makes things
a lot simpler.

Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution.  I'll
drop CVS, it slows me down too much.  Someone else might be able to
mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May.  That gives
everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
files.  I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
integrate everything.

It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
section.

--
SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
ARTHUR:  It could grip it by the husk ...
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Tony Mechelynck
On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
[...]
> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
> section.
>

IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case,
and if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see
among others
http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/ 
), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an
.xpi is just a .zip under another name.)


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Heavy, adj.:
        Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Dominique Pellé
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
>> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
>> section.
>>
>
> IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case, and
> if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see among others
> http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
> ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
> found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
> borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an .xpi
> is just a .zip under another name.)


":help spell-mkspell" says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can create a Vim spell file from the .aff and .dic files that Myspell
uses.  Myspell is used by OpenOffice.org and Mozilla.  You should be able to
find them here:
        http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link in help file contains dictionaries for the old OpenOffice-2.x.

OpenOffice-3.x has changed the format of the dictionaries
OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries are available at:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

Does anybody knows whether it's possible to convert the
OpenOffice-3.x dictionaries to Vim dictionaries?

OpenOffice-3.x has more dictionaries than OpenOffice-2.x.
For example, I'm interested in converting the Breton dictionary
to Vim, but it's only available for OpenOffice-3.x and not OpenOffice-2.x.

Cheers
-- Dominique

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Christian Brabandt
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
Hi Bram!

On So, 11 Apr 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Hello Vim users!
>
> It has been a long time since the last release: Vim 7.2 was released in
> August 2008.  There have been many patches, but not everybody will use
> them.  It's about time for 7.3!
>
> I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
> I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
> take a few hours of my time.  That basically means patches that are
> ready to be included.
>
> I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:
> http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
>
> One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
> I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
> More and more people are using Windows 7.  I think that taking Window XP
> as the minimal platform will work well.  I hope we can make installing
> Vim on MS-Windows as simple and reliable as possible.
>
> I also plan to drop the split in "lang" and "extra" archives.  The
> burden to have several feature sets is no longer justified by the
> slightly smaller distribution.  Putting everything together makes things
> a lot simpler.
>
> Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution.  I'll
> drop CVS, it slows me down too much.  Someone else might be able to
> mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.
>
> I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May.  That gives
> everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
> files.  I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
> integrate everything.
>
> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
> section.

Are you considering any patches from
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
for inclusion?

regards,
Christian

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Bram Moolenaar

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Are you considering any patches from
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
> for inclusion?

Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
"Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
make syntax highlighting much faster.

I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
carefully looking through the code changes.

--
CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
   We follow the cart through a wretched, impoverished plague-ridden village.
   A few starved mongrels run about in the mud scavenging.  In the open
   doorway of one house perhaps we jug glimpse a pair of legs dangling from
   the ceiling.  In another doorway an OLD WOMAN is beating a cat against a
   wall rather like one does with a mat.  The cart passes round a dead donkey
   or cow in the mud.  And a MAN tied to a cart is being hammered to death by
   four NUNS with huge mallets.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Ron Aaron
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
On Apr 11, 5:33 pm, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's about time for 7.3!

Great!!

> One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
> I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.

You might like to take a look at the installer script I am using
(NSIS), here:

http://dev.ronware.org/p/vim/finfo?name=gvim.nsi

(also note I'm using "Fossil" for source control...)

I've started doing a Hebrew menu.vim (and I'll do a he.po as well).
But the
RTL stuff really doesn't work so well when the UI is LTR ...

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Tony Mechelynck
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

>
> Christian Brabandt wrote:
>
>> Are you considering any patches from
>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
>> for inclusion?
>
> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
> make syntax highlighting much faster.
>
> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
> carefully looking through the code changes.
>

It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
top five; not in preference order.

#14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
(not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

#13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

#10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
an eye on it.

#9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
eyeballing the code.

#7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
    n = ((n >>  1) & 0x55555555) | ((n <<  1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
    n = ((n >>  2) & 0x33333333) | ((n <<  2) & 0xcccccccc);
    n = ((n >>  4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n <<  4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
    n = ((n >>  8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n <<  8) & 0xff00ff00);
    n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

                -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Tony Mechelynck
In reply to this post by Ron Aaron
On 11/04/10 23:51, ron wrote:

> On Apr 11, 5:33 pm, Bram Moolenaar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> It's about time for 7.3!
>
> Great!!
>
>> One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
>> I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
>
> You might like to take a look at the installer script I am using
> (NSIS), here:
>
> http://dev.ronware.org/p/vim/finfo?name=gvim.nsi
>
> (also note I'm using "Fossil" for source control...)
>
> I've started doing a Hebrew menu.vim (and I'll do a he.po as well).
> But the
> RTL stuff really doesn't work so well when the UI is LTR ...
>

There are already two possibilities for the main display:
- Let Vim handle RTL or LTR at the window level (:set invrightleft)
or
- Run Vim in console mode in a full-bidi terminal (such as mlterm),
leave 'rightleft' off, and let the terminal handle characterwise bidi.

It is possible to use menus in console mode (with 'wildmenu', :emenu,
and, in the vimrc, :runtime! menu.vim); I suppose in that case mlterm
will apply true-bidi but console Vim in other terminals (or gvim with
:emenu) won't. Not sure how to display RTL menus at the top of the GUI
(and in which GUI flavour...).


Best regards,
Tony.
--
He hadn't a single redeeming vice.
                -- Oscar Wilde

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Edward L. Fox
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> Hello Vim users!
>
> [...]
>
> Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution.  I'll
> drop CVS, it slows me down too much.  Someone else might be able to
> mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
longer.  It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly.  Nobody will
want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned.  I tried
Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use.  I suggest that
we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

> I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May.  That gives
> everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
> files.  I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
> integrate everything.

What's the feature-freeze date?  I want to submit a small feature and
a tiny feature.  Hope I could have enough time for that.

> It would also be nice if we can update the spell files.  Volunteers
> wanted!  See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
> section.
>
> --
> SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
> ARTHUR:  It could grip it by the husk ...
>                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
>
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Christian Brabandt
In reply to this post by Tony Mechelynck
Hi Tony!
(replying to vim_use and vim_dev. Should we keep the discussion on
vim_dev or rather on vim_use?)

Disclaimer:
I know, this is not a wishlist thread, but I could not resist ;)

On Mo, 12 Apr 2010, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are
> my  top five; not in preference order.
>
> #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long  
> track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve  
> Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and  
> it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial  
> (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been  
> victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"  
> patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem  
> forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

I'd like that too.
>
> #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but  
> still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to  
> has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

I have no opinion on that.
>
> #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.  
> Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep  
> an eye on it.

I'd like that one.
>
> #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its  
> authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by  
> eyeballing the code.

I'd really like that one.

>
> #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up  
> in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows  
> that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does  
> not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return  
> value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into  
> mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a  
> build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was  
> forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to  
> my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)  
> Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to  
> avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

If you consider that, would you also consider including a random()
function call?

Additionally I'd like persistent undo (#4), unified colors (#12) and
correctly indent wrapped lines (#15) and maybe quickfix-title from the
extended git repository as well as fast-join and really nice would be
the margincolumn patch that was floating around vim_dev for some time.

regards,
Christian

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Lech Lorens
In reply to this post by Tony Mechelynck
On 12-Apr-2010 Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
> Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but
> keep an eye on it.

Pretty stable alpha, I'd say. It's of limited use for programming but
I've been using it for configuration files and it's been totally
reliable since the last update in Nov 2009.

--
Cheers,
Lech

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Jordan Lewis-4
Any thoughts about including persistent undo in Vim 7.3? It's being maintained in Markus Heidelberg's vim_extended repository here http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git/shortlog/refs/heads/feat/persistent-undo. It's also the 3rd most popular new feature on the new feature voting list.

- Jordan Lewis

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Lech Lorens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12-Apr-2010 Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
> Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but
> keep an eye on it.

Pretty stable alpha, I'd say. It's of limited use for programming but
I've been using it for configuration files and it's been totally
reliable since the last update in Nov 2009.

--
Cheers,
Lech

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Mun-4
Hi all,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 04:03 PM PDT, Jordan Lewis wrote:
JL> Any thoughts about including persistent undo in Vim 7.3? It's being
JL> maintained in Markus Heidelberg's vim_extended repository here
JL> http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git/shortlog/refs/heads/feat/persistent-undo.
JL> It's also the 3rd most popular new feature on the new feature voting list.

I'd like to see the persistent undo patch included in v7.3 .  But I
would also like greater control than provided by 'undofile' (as
mentioned in an old thread).

Along these same lines, if persistent undo is included it would be
beneficial if the Undo Branches were tagged by Time *and* Date; rather
than just Time.

Regards,

--
Mun

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Bram Moolenaar
In reply to this post by Jordan Lewis-4

Jordan Lewis wrote:

> Any thoughts about including persistent undo in Vim 7.3? It's being
> maintained in Markus Heidelberg's vim_extended repository here
> http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git/shortlog/refs/heads/feat/persistent-undo.
> It's also the 3rd most popular new feature on the new feature voting list.

I do like the functionality of this patch, but this is something that
requires a lot of testing.  You don't want your text to be changed in
unexpected ways (lines go missing or duplicated where you aren't
looking).

What helps with this is someone writing a good test.  One that also
tries to find the border cases.  In this specific case it's not so easy,
since it involves restarting Vim to check that loading undo information
from a file works as expected.  But it doesn't involve writing C code,
any advanced Vim user should be able to do this.

--
DENNIS: Look,  strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out
        swords ... that's no basis for a system of government.  Supreme
        executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
        farcical aquatic ceremony.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Ernie Rael
On 4/13/2010 5:49 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Jordan Lewis wrote:
>
>    
>> Any thoughts about including persistent undo in Vim 7.3?
>>      
> I do like the functionality of this patch, but this is something that
> requires a lot of testing.  You don't want your text to be changed in
> unexpected ways (lines go missing or duplicated where you aren't
> looking).
>
>
>    
I'm unfamiliar with the internal operation of this patch. Does it verify
that the file in question, with persistent undo info, has not been
modified since last open. For example with a crc?

-ernie

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Christian Brabandt
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
Hi Bram!

On Di, 13 Apr 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> What helps with this is someone writing a good test.  One that also
> tries to find the border cases.  In this specific case it's not so easy,
> since it involves restarting Vim to check that loading undo information
> from a file works as expected.  But it doesn't involve writing C code,
> any advanced Vim user should be able to do this.

Could you elaborate on that (maybe taking this to private mail, in case
this is disturbing here)? I am willing to help out and write test cases.

regards,
Christian
--
Wer sich zum Alleinherrscer erhebt und Brutus nicht tötet, oder wer
einen Freistaat gründet und die Söhne des Brututs nicht hinrichten
läßt, wird sich nicht lange halten.
                -- Niccolò Machiavelli (Vom Start)

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Jordan Lewis-4
In reply to this post by Ernie Rael
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Ernie Rael <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/13/2010 5:49 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Jordan Lewis wrote:

 
Any thoughts about including persistent undo in Vim 7.3?
   
I do like the functionality of this patch, but this is something that

requires a lot of testing.  You don't want your text to be changed in
unexpected ways (lines go missing or duplicated where you aren't
looking).


 
I'm unfamiliar with the internal operation of this patch. Does it verify that the file in question, with persistent undo info, has not been modified since last open. For example with a crc?

-ernie

It does a basic check using file modification times, which is sufficient barring a pathological user who modifies a file's mtime to match the last time Vim wrote out the file, after modifying the file itself. 

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Bram Moolenaar
In reply to this post by Christian Brabandt

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Di, 13 Apr 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > What helps with this is someone writing a good test.  One that also
> > tries to find the border cases.  In this specific case it's not so easy,
> > since it involves restarting Vim to check that loading undo information
> > from a file works as expected.  But it doesn't involve writing C code,
> > any advanced Vim user should be able to do this.
>
> Could you elaborate on that (maybe taking this to private mail, in case
> this is disturbing here)? I am willing to help out and write test cases.

Basically:
- look at the documentation
- look at what the code does (fix documentation when needed)
- test that what it's supposed to do actually works, possibly trying
  every documented feature
- think of border cases (empty file, one very long line, missing line
  break, binary file, etc.) and test that all works
- have a brainstorm about what could go wrong and test that (e.g.,
  changing the file with another editor, renaming another file in its
  place)

Using some kind of script to make this less work.  Could perhaps be a
Vim script that writes a script file and runs another Vim with "!vim -S
scriptfile filename".  That way it's portable.

--
BLACK KNIGHT: The Black Knight always triumphs. Have at you!
   ARTHUR takes his last leg off.  The BLACK KNIGHT's body lands upright.
BLACK KNIGHT: All right, we'll call it a draw.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Lech Lorens
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
On 11-Apr-2010 Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May.  That gives
> everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
> files.  I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
> integrate everything.

I attached a patch enabling the quickfix window titles which I sent to
vim-dev about a year ago. This is against Vim 7.2.411.

--
Cheers,
Lech

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

Subscription settings: http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/subscribe?hl=en

quickfix-pre-7.3.patch (28K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Planning Vim 7.3

Lech Lorens
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
On 11-Apr-2010 Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Christian Brabandt wrote:
>
> > Are you considering any patches from
> > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
> > for inclusion?
>
> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
> make syntax highlighting much faster.
>
> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
> carefully looking through the code changes.

Unfortunately, this means that some features are very unlikely to make
it into Vim 7.3 (or any later version for that matter). If it's the bug
fixes that worry you, then I can't think of a solution. But if you
simply don't like the idea of providing the users with Vim that might be
unstable, then maybe you would accept one of the solutions:
- let Vim stay in 7.3-alpha stage for a longer while,
- release Vim 7.3 but then create a testing branch of Vim. The main
  branch and the testing branch would get normal bug fixes, but the
  testing branch would also be the place for developing new features.
Either way, I believe there are people who would be willing to accept
Vim of alpha quality for the price of getting interesting features in
(I for one would, perhaps the vim-dev subscribers as well).

By the way, if there is any task during preparing Vim 7.3 that you think
you could "outsource" ;-) I can commit myself to spending a day a week
on Vim for the next month or two.

--
Cheers,
Lech

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
123
Loading...