Plans for Vim 7.4

Bram Moolenaar

Hello Vim users,

We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999.  I
don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
Vim 7.4!

The top five of the voting list:
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

1. add IDE features
2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
4. improve syntax highlighting speed
5. add collaborative editing

I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:

1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created.  This improves the
   Vim API from the Python interface.
2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
   for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
   regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.

Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
pending updates.  I will not make big changes just before the release,
everything needs some time for testing.  Let's set a deadline at the end
of May.

I don't have a date set for the release. I'll include the mentioned
changes and then we need some time for testing until it looks stable.
And hopefully we don't go past 999 before that...

--
E  M  A  C  S
s  e  l  o  h

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

Yichao Zhou
Here is a tex indent file update.

Regards,
Yichao Zhou.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Vim users,
>
> We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999.  I
> don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
> Vim 7.4!
>
> The top five of the voting list:
> http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
>
> 1. add IDE features
> 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
> 3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
> 4. improve syntax highlighting speed
> 5. add collaborative editing
>
> I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:
>
> 1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created.  This improves the
>    Vim API from the Python interface.
> 2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
>    for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
>    regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
> 3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.
>
> Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
> pending updates.  I will not make big changes just before the release,
> everything needs some time for testing.  Let's set a deadline at the end
> of May.
>
> I don't have a date set for the release. I'll include the mentioned
> changes and then we need some time for testing until it looks stable.
> And hopefully we don't go past 999 before that...
>
> --
> E  M  A  C  S
> s  e  l  o  h
> c  t  t  n  i
> a  a     t  f
> p        r  t
> e        o
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

> You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
> ---

tex.vim (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

Ron Aaron-2
On Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:51:48 AM UTC+3, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
> Vim 7.4!

That's very exciting!

> 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script

I hope this doesn't mean Python will be *required*.  That would be a badness.

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> 1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created.  This improves the
>    Vim API from the Python interface.

I just wanted to write an RFC with new interfaces. These are even bigger changes, so it would be bad idea to start writing them without discussion. But these are unlikely to be written before the end of May.

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

Yichao Zhou wrote:

> Here is a tex indent file update.

Thanks!

--
"My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just
accumulate like plastic coffee cups..."           -- Paul Moore

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

h_east
Hi, Bram and list

2013/5/9(Thu) 12:51:48 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
> Hello Vim users,
>
> We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999.  I
>
> don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
>
> Vim 7.4!

In recent years, the resolution of the display device is up. But the statusline of Vim will remains 1 line.
So, I wrote multi-lined statusline patch.
But it has not been completed. (80% complete)
Patch:
  https://gist.github.com/h-east/3158492/raw/97f28a9db549e6ac1a33eb4b9903c24795c14d68/vim_multi_statusline.patch
Specification:
  English (See the patch of runtime/doc/options.txt)
        Add 'statuslineheight' option. (global or local to window option)
        Add '@' item to 'statusline' option.
        Add has('multi_statusline') for Vim script
  Japanese
    https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/225#issuecomment-8045983

Remaining works:
- Write more document for ':help'.
- When global and local option mixed use, often crashes Vim.
- <C-W>= is not equals window height.
- Add more test.
- Add feature to multi-lined tabline. (Optional)

Are you getting interested?

Best regards,
Hirohito Higashi

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

h_east
Ah, Sample screenshot attached.

Best regards,
Hirohito Higashi

stlh_sample1.png (76K) Download Attachment
stlh_sample2.png (103K) Download Attachment

Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> BTW: Is there any upcoming support for c++11 especially indent of c++11 files? Syntax highlighting can be done by external systax files but the indenting could not be modified by users.

Really? Check out :h 'indentexpr'. It could be modified, but you will either have to do some hacks relying on cindent() result or rewrite everything what is there in C code in other language.