Quantcast

Plans for Vim 7.4

Bram Moolenaar

Hello Vim users,

We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999.  I
don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
Vim 7.4!

The top five of the voting list:
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

1. add IDE features
2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
4. improve syntax highlighting speed
5. add collaborative editing

I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:

1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created.  This improves the
   Vim API from the Python interface.
2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
   for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
   regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.

Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
pending updates.  I will not make big changes just before the release,
everything needs some time for testing.  Let's set a deadline at the end
of May.

I don't have a date set for the release. I'll include the mentioned
changes and then we need some time for testing until it looks stable.
And hopefully we don't go past 999 before that...

--
E  M  A  C  S
s  e  l  o  h

You received this message from the  "vim_announce" maillist.