Preferred Key Mappings for Navigation

Noel Henson
All,

It is time for feedback on navigation and heading-move key mappings. Here
are the functions that need to be mapped, as I see them so far. Please add
your own suggestions. This is meant to be a starting point for discussion.

Navigation

move cursor to top-level parent
move cursor to parent
move cursor to previous sibling
move cursor to next sibling
move cursor to last child

Object Movement

move tree under cursor up one line
move tree under cursor down one line
promote tree under cursor
demote tree under cursor

move heading under cursor up one line
move heading under cursor down one line
promote heading under cursor
demote heading under cursor

Thoughts?

Noel

Re: Preferred Key Mappings for Navigation

David J Patrick-2

?
> move cursor to parent
<alt><left arrow>
> move cursor to previous sibling
<alt><up>
> move cursor to next sibling
<alt<down>
?

> Object Movement
>
> move tree under cursor up one line
> move tree under cursor down one line
> promote tree under cursor
> demote tree under cursor
>
> move heading under cursor up one line
> move heading under cursor down one line
> promote heading under cursor
> demote heading under cursor
>
> Thoughts?

hmmm..
my thought might be that moving a tree and moving a heading are
conceptually the same thing, as if that heading has sub-headings, it's a
tree and you would want not to break the branches in any case.
so, unless I'm befuddled again, there would be only one set of bindings
for either last two sets above.

djp

On Saturday 10 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:

> hmmm..
> my thought might be that moving a tree and moving a heading are
> conceptually the same thing, as if that heading has sub-headings, it's a
> tree and you would want not to break the branches in any case.
> so, unless I'm befuddled again, there would be only one set of bindings
> for either last two sets above.

Actually there are many times I just want to move the headings without
moving their children. This happens mostly when I'm creating a new outline
or editing an outline created from one of my many outline templates.
Perhaps I use outlines differently than others. I don't just document what
I'm thinking. I use the outline as a thinking aid.

Noel

Re: Preferred Key Mappings for Navigation

Steve Litt
On Saturday 10 October 2009 18:27:16 Noel Henson wrote:
> All,
>
> It is time for feedback on navigation and heading-move key mappings. Here
> are the functions that need to be mapped, as I see them so far. Please add
> your own suggestions. This is meant to be a starting point for discussion.
>
> Navigation
>
> move cursor to top-level parent
        Not necessary enough to consume a ,, command IMHO

> move cursor to parent
        A spectacular improvement.

> move cursor to previous sibling
        Great idea

> move cursor to next sibling
        Great idea

> move cursor to last child
        Not necessary because you can move to next sibling, j, and then move to
parent.

> Object Movement
>
> move tree under cursor up one line
> move tree under cursor down one line
> promote tree under cursor
> demote tree under cursor
>
> move heading under cursor up one line
> move heading under cursor down one line
> promote heading under cursor
> demote heading under cursor
>
> Thoughts?

Vim's so good the way it is I see no reason for any of the preceding movement
commands. zc>> and zc<< demote and promote. Tree or individual heading
movement up and down is just a matter of cut and paste. I'll admit that "move
tree past next sibling reduces the likelihood of errors, but it's practical
only for small moves, so I'm not so sure it should comsume a ,, command.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

On Saturday 10 October 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Saturday 10 October 2009 18:27:16 Noel Henson wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > It is time for feedback on navigation and heading-move key mappings.
> > Here are the functions that need to be mapped, as I see them so far.
> > Please add your own suggestions. This is meant to be a starting point
> > for discussion.
> >
> > Navigation
> >
> > move cursor to top-level parent
>
> Not necessary enough to consume a ,, command IMHO

I was thinking not of a ,,command but of something like ctrl-meta-leftarrow
or ctrl-leftarrow.

On Saturday 10 October 2009 20:01:05 Noel Henson wrote:

> On Saturday 10 October 2009, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 October 2009 18:27:16 Noel Henson wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > It is time for feedback on navigation and heading-move key mappings.
> > > Here are the functions that need to be mapped, as I see them so far.
> > > Please add your own suggestions. This is meant to be a starting point
> > > for discussion.
> > >
> > > Navigation
> > >
> > > move cursor to top-level parent
> >
> > Not necessary enough to consume a ,, command IMHO
>
> I was thinking not of a ,,command but of something like ctrl-meta-leftarrow
> or ctrl-leftarrow.

:-)

Well, I see absolutely no value in Emacs keystrokes, so I spoze that's OK :-)