Preferred way of stating paragraph styles and character styles within VO?

Preferred way of stating paragraph styles and character styles within VO?

Steve Litt
Hi Noel,

What do you envision as the "official VO way" of specifying character styles
and paragraph styles within a VO outline? Whatever it is, it should probably
be strongly documented, and I think I know a guy who is pretty good at
documentation.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Preferred way of stating paragraph styles and character styles within VO?

David J Patrick-2
Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> What do you envision as the "official VO way" of specifying character styles
> and paragraph styles within a VO outline? Whatever it is, it should probably
> be strongly documented, and I think I know a guy who is pretty good at
> documentation.

IMHO, there is no extra magic within VO, other that the good ol " < > :
;", and I personally would not want to make any further definition at
this early stage, because I need the ultimate flexibility to output to
multiple formats.

I'm using UDT "<" to embed post-process directives, and ">" to embed
in-line comments.
djp

Re: Preferred way of stating paragraph styles and character styles within VO?

Noel Henson
On Monday 07 December 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi Noel,
>
> What do you envision as the "official VO way" of specifying character
> styles and paragraph styles within a VO outline? Whatever it is, it
> should probably be strongly documented, and I think I know a guy who is
> pretty good at documentation.
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT

Steve,

I would start with :he vo-objects

That gives the basic overview. But, VO does not have character or paragraph
styles as such. You can group things together in different VO objects each
with it's own special attributes. It is up to the postprocessor to convert
those groups and attributes into the output the user desires.

Suppose you were writing a '... for Dummies' book. You could specify
sidebar tips in special paragraphs like this:

>TIP
>Make sure power is disconnected BEFORE sticking your finger in the light
>socket.

>WARNING
>Always use this alias "rm='rm -i'" in your profile to prevent accidental
>deletion of everything with "rm *"

< however, makes itself useful for directives, much as DJP has shown.

The question is... How can we make such features in VO clearer to the user.
It has been in vo help for a long time but somehow the information fails to
make it from there into the user's brain.

Noel

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 11:37:14 Noel Henson wrote:

> On Monday 07 December 2009, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi Noel,
> >
> > What do you envision as the "official VO way" of specifying character
> > styles and paragraph styles within a VO outline? Whatever it is, it
> > should probably be strongly documented, and I think I know a guy who is
> > pretty good at documentation.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Steve,
>
> I would start with :he vo-objects
>
> That gives the basic overview. But, VO does not have character or paragraph
> styles as such. You can group things together in different VO objects each
> with it's own special attributes. It is up to the postprocessor to convert
> those groups and attributes into the output the user desires.

Exactly! The character and paragraph styles (and maybe also commands) would be
passed through to the postprocessor. They have no meaning in VO itself,
because VO's format is monofont text.

> Suppose you were writing a '... for Dummies' book. You could specify
>
> sidebar tips in special paragraphs like this:
> >TIP
> >Make sure power is disconnected BEFORE sticking your finger in the light
> >socket.
> >
> >WARNING
> >Always use this alias "rm='rm -i'" in your profile to prevent accidental
> >deletion of everything with "rm *"
>
> < however, makes itself useful for directives, much as DJP has shown.

Do those wrap?

Those are paragraph styles -- how would I do a character style? For instance,
I might have a character style called chcode, used on Linux commands, that
monofonts it characters. How would I do the equivalent of:

Always use the >chcode rm -i >end_chcode to prevent accidental wholesale
deletion.

> The question is... How can we make such features in VO clearer to the user.

Documentation. I'll do it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Preferred way of stating paragraph styles and character styles within VO?

Noel Henson
On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

[snip]

> > Suppose you were writing a '... for Dummies' book. You could specify
> >
> > sidebar tips in special paragraphs like this:
> > >TIP
> > >Make sure power is disconnected BEFORE sticking your finger in the
> > > light socket.
> > >
> > >WARNING
> > >Always use this alias "rm='rm -i'" in your profile to prevent
> > > accidental deletion of everything with "rm *"
> >
> > < however, makes itself useful for directives, much as DJP has shown.
>
> Do those wrap?

Read ':he vo-objects'

> wraps
< doesn't wrap

> Those are paragraph styles -- how would I do a character style? For
> instance, I might have a character style called chcode, used on Linux
> commands, that monofonts it characters. How would I do the equivalent
> of:

; sets a character/paragraph type of, shall we say, code. It is monospaced
and will not wrap.

> Always use the >chcode rm -i >end_chcode to prevent accidental wholesale
> deletion.
>
> > The question is... How can we make such features in VO clearer to the
> > user.
>
> Documentation. I'll do it.
>
> SteveT

Noel