Problem with install on windows

12

Problem with install on windows

Hansen, Mike
I'm having trouble installing this plug-in on windows. None of the comma commands are working. The Windows install instructions at http://www.vimoutliner.org/files/vowin.txt have the following two commands to add to the vimoutlinerrc

so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_checkbox.vim
so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_hoist.vim

Are these necessary? There's a line in the vimoutlinerrc that says

let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"

Does that make the source commands above not necessary?

Also the vo_base.vim, the instructions say the 3rd line from the bottom of vo_base.vim should be changed to  ru vimoutlinerrc

Is this the line that needs to be changed? Does this line already take care of it, or does it need to be changed?

ru! .vimoutlinerrc vimoutlinerrc

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Problem with install on windows

Herbert Sitz
Hansen, Mike wrote
I'm having trouble installing this plug-in on windows. None of the comma commands are working.
I'm not clear, are _none_ of the comma comma commands working or is it just the checkbox and hoist stuff.  If no comma comma commands work at all then you've got different problem.
The Windows install instructions at http://www.vimoutliner.org/files/vowin.txt have the following two commands to add to the vimoutlinerrc

so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_checkbox.vim
so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_hoist.vim

Are these necessary? There's a line in the vimoutlinerrc that says

let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"

Does that make the source commands above not necessary?
Yes, the load command _would_ make the so commands unnecessary, but if you watch vim messages for errors I think you'll see that those vo_modules_load commands don't work on windows.  At least they don't in my Windows install, although they do work for me in Linux.  Try commenting them out.

Also the vo_base.vim, the instructions say the 3rd line from the bottom of vo_base.vim should be changed to  ru vimoutlinerrc

Is this the line that needs to be changed? Does this line already take care of it, or does it need to be changed?

ru! .vimoutlinerrc vimoutlinerrc
Honestly I'm not sure what that line is doing.  I assume you're supposed to edit out the .vimo. ... . part if you're running on windows.  When I first got things going on Windows I just moved the checkbox and hoist mappings into my vo_base.vim.  I assume there's better way to do it, but at least that way I was more clear about what was going on.

Hope that helps,

Herb

Re: Problem with install on windows

Noel Henson
Mike,

If you're still having trouble, I can send you a vimball that you can use
for installation.

Noel

On Friday 13 February 2009, Hansen, Mike wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing this plug-in on windows. None of the comma
> commands are working. The Windows install instructions at
> http://www.vimoutliner.org/files/vowin.txt have the following two
> commands to add to the vimoutlinerrc
>
> so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_checkbox.vim
> so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_hoist.vim
>
> Are these necessary? There's a line in the vimoutlinerrc that says
>
> let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
>
> Does that make the source commands above not necessary?
>
> Also the vo_base.vim, the instructions say the 3rd line from the bottom
> of vo_base.vim should be changed to  ru vimoutlinerrc
>
> Is this the line that needs to be changed? Does this line already take
> care of it, or does it need to be changed?
>
> ru! .vimoutlinerrc vimoutlinerrc
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

RE: Problem with install on windows

Hansen, Mike

Sorry for late reply. I was out of the office.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried all of the comma comma commands, but none of the ones I have tried seem to work. I tried inserting various time stamps and a dash line.

> The Windows install instructions at
> http://www.vimoutliner.org/files/vowin.txt have the following
> two commands
> to add to the vimoutlinerrc
> >
> > so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_checkbox.vim
> > so $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/vo_hoist.vim
> >
> > Are these necessary? There's a line in the vimoutlinerrc that says
> >
> > let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
> >
> > Does that make the source commands above not necessary?
> Yes, the load command _would_ make the so commands
> unnecessary, but if you
> watch vim messages for errors I think you'll see that those
> vo_modules_load
> commands don't work on windows.  At least they don't in my
> Windows install,
> although they do work for me in Linux.  Try commenting them out.

I tried commenting them out and adding the so commands.

> Also the vo_base.vim, the instructions say the 3rd line from
> the bottom of
> vo_base.vim should be changed to  ru vimoutlinerrc
> >
> > Is this the line that needs to be changed? Does this line
> already take
> > care of it, or does it need to be changed?
> >
> > ru! .vimoutlinerrc vimoutlinerrc
> Honestly I'm not sure what that line is doing.  I assume
> you're supposed to
> edit out the .vimo. ... . part if you're running on windows.
> When I first
> got things going on Windows I just moved the checkbox and
> hoist mappings
> into my vo_base.vim.  I assume there's better way to do it,
> but at least
> that way I was more clear about what was going on.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Herb

I changed it to ru vimoutlinerrc

Any clues on the comma comma commands?

Thanks,

Mike

RE: Problem with install on windows

Hansen, Mike
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the office.

Sure, I'm willing to try that.

Thanks,

Mike

How to keep body text folded

Julian Ryde

I was wondering if there was a way or planned feature to ensure that
body text is always kept folded.

E.g. on this test outline

Heading 1
-    Heading 2
-        : some really long body text
3        :       : ...
3        :           Heading 3
3        :               H
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
3        :
|    Heading 3
-    Heading 4
-        Heading 5
3            Heading 6

This is the result after doing a ,,4 now the problem is that the body
text could be really long and if there is a lot of it, it makes it
difficult to see the outline structure of the headings under Heading 4.

It would be nice to have a way of collapsing all body text but
maintaining which folds are currently open etc. So no matter how deep
you go you still can see the outline without it getting lost in a sea of
body text.

In case you are curious I am using vim outliner to help write latex for
scientific papers and I have the document set up in such a way that it
is both a valid outline file and a compilable latex file.  It so far
seems to be working quite well.

Thanks

Julian

Re: How to keep body text folded

Noel Henson
Everyone,

I absolutely love the recent ideas and patches to VO that have come up over
the last 6 months. I have (finally) been swamped at work and have not had
a good chance to evaluate all of them. Most of them seem to be good enough
to include in VO 0.4.

I could use some help in testing not only the patches/mods to VO but in
creating the new installation programs. It was easy before there were
enough Windoze users to warrant supporting Windoze. But it seems that there
are enough users to justify worrying about them.

Anyway, I would accept any and all offers to help with anything that has to
do with VO mods and the website conversion to Drupal.

Your humble VO programmer,

Noel

On Tuesday 24 February 2009, Julian Ryde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way or planned feature to ensure that
> body text is always kept folded.
>
> E.g. on this test outline
>
> Heading 1
> -    Heading 2
> -        : some really long body text
> 3        :       : ...
> 3        :           Heading 3
> 3        :               H
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
> 3        :
>
> 3        :
> |    Heading 3
>
> -    Heading 4
> -        Heading 5
> 3            Heading 6
>
> This is the result after doing a ,,4 now the problem is that the body
> text could be really long and if there is a lot of it, it makes it
> difficult to see the outline structure of the headings under Heading 4.
>
> It would be nice to have a way of collapsing all body text but
> maintaining which folds are currently open etc. So no matter how deep
> you go you still can see the outline without it getting lost in a sea of
> body text.
>
> In case you are curious I am using vim outliner to help write latex for
> scientific papers and I have the document set up in such a way that it
> is both a valid outline file and a compilable latex file.  It so far
> seems to be working quite well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Julian

Re: How to keep body text folded

Herbert Sitz
Julian Ryde wrote
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way or planned feature to ensure that
body text is always kept folded. . . .
Julian -  I posted the code for a function something like that in a recent thread titled, "Expanding Levels While collapsing body text."  Not sure if it's exactly what you asked for.  It is identical to the current ,,[1-9] commands except that any visible text will be collapsed.

I've recently done quite a bit of work adding outline-centric functionality partly geared towards letting you work with the outlline structure while keeping the body text elements out of the way.  You can see videos of some of the new functions in one of the recent threads I posted with 'videos' in thread title.

My goal is to get VO a fair part of the way to having the same outliner functionality as my favorite old outliner Grandview.  At the moment I've added quite a bit of functionality, even more than I've posted videos for, but some of the code is kind of messy.  It works fine but I plan on doing some refactoring to clean things up.

I'd  be happy to post my new code.  The changes I've made are pretty comprehensive (I think I've added more lines than existed in entire original vo_base.vim file) and it may be a while before they are incorporated into the "certified" vo_base.vim file, if they ever are.  I'm sort of hoping Noel H. or Steve might want to set up a version control server (maybe use Subversion by startng a vo project at sourceforge?).  My revised vo_base could be managed for now as a separate "branch" of VO; I expect some people might prefer it to the main version.

-- Herb

Re: How to keep body text folded

Steve Litt
I don't have Windows, but I'll absolutely test the new stuff on Linux
(Mandriva 2008).

SteveT

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 10:23:23 pm Noel Henson wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 3        :
> > |    Heading 3
> >
> > -    Heading 4
> > -        Heading 5
> > 3            Heading 6
> >
> > This is the result after doing a ,,4 now the problem is that the body
> > text could be really long and if there is a lot of it, it makes it
> > difficult to see the outline structure of the headings under Heading 4.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a way of collapsing all body text but
> > maintaining which folds are currently open etc. So no matter how deep
> > you go you still can see the outline without it getting lost in a sea of
> > body text.
> >
> > In case you are curious I am using vim outliner to help write latex for
> > scientific papers and I have the document set up in such a way that it
> > is both a valid outline file and a compilable latex file.  It so far

Hi Herb,

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I found your email and have
quickly tried to get your code working.
I had a couple of problems like calls bodytext rather than BodyText
which I tried to sort out but to no avail.

We really need an svn repository so we know that we have the latest
versions of all the code and so we can submit fixes quickly.

I would like to help to get this done but I do not want to be too
interfering.

Thanks

Julian

On Tuesday 24 February 2009, hsitz wrote:

> Julian Ryde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if there was a way or planned feature to ensure that
> > body text is always kept folded. . . .
>
> Julian -  I posted the code for a function something like that in a
> recent thread titled, "Expanding Levels While collapsing body text."
> Not sure if it's exactly what you asked for.  It is identical to the
> current ,,x commands except that any visible text will be collapsed.
>
> I've recently done quite a bit of work adding outline-centric
> functionality partly geared towards letting you work with the outlline
> structure while keeping the body text elements out of the way.  You can
> see videos of some of the new functions in one of the recent threads I
> posted with 'videos' in thread title.
>
> My goal is to get VO a fair part of the way to having the same outliner
> functionality as my favorite old outliner Grandview.  At the moment I've
> added quite a bit of functionality, even more than I've posted videos
> for, but some of the code is kind of messy.  It works fine but I plan on
> doing some refactoring to clean things up.
>
> I'd  be happy to post my new code.  The changes I've made are pretty
> comprehensive (I think I've added more lines than existed in entire
> original vo_base.vim file) and it may be a while before they are
> incorporated into the "certified" vo_base.vim file.  I'm sort of hoping
> Noel H. or Steve might want to set up a version control server (maybe
> use Subversion by startng a vo project at sourceforge?).  My revised
> vo_base could be managed for now as a separate "branch" of VO; I expect
> some people might prefer it to the main version.
>
> -- Herb

Herb,

When I get some free time, I'd like to have a talk with you about your
functional additions to VO. They suck and make me look bad. LOL Just
kidding. I'd actually love to have a phone conversation and work with you
to get them included in VO 0.4. I'm very impressed. The problem that I have
is that I'm working on no less than 8 difficult embedded systems products
right now and my time is very limited. Would you have some time this
weekend to discuss them? The best day for me is Sunday, PDT.

Steve Litt handed VO to me when he was swamped years ago and I feel I have
not done well by the project after having gotten so busy over the last year
(after a 3-year drought in income in the embedded development industry).
Perhaps, with your help, we can get things back online and moving again.

When would be a good time for you?

Noel

Re: How to keep body text folded

Herbert Sitz
Julian Ryde wrote
This is exactly what I was looking for.  I found your email and have
quickly tried to get your code working.
I had a couple of problems like calls bodytext rather than BodyText
which I tried to sort out but to no avail.
So sorry, not sure how it happened, some text must have gotten garbled in my copy/paste into the message and I bungled retyping it.  The call to bodytext should have been to BodyText, since vimscript is case sensitive and that's name of function in vo_base that returns true if cursor is on a body text line.

Please let me know of any other error and I'll help you sort it out.

-- Herb

functional additions to VO. . . .
Noel -- That sounds fine, maybe this Sunday morning (PST).  I have a bunch more additions made, will try to post some more videos in next day or two.  It's going to be a bit of a chore to refactor and get things into nice, clean, maintainable code.  I may run out of gumption at some point, but for now I'm happy to do more.  If somebody wants to start using it and giving me bug-reports I'd be happy to respond with quick fixes.  I think most bugs of the bugs will be more like "buglets", not interfering with overall use of vo and not hard to fix.

Re: How to keep body text folded

Bill Powell
Herb,

First, let me add to the chorus of thanks for this work. :)

> Julian Ryde wrote:
> >
> > This is exactly what I was looking for.  I found your email and have
> > quickly tried to get your code working.
> > I had a couple of problems like calls bodytext rather than BodyText
> > which I tried to sort out but to no avail.

> So sorry, not sure how it happened, some text must have gotten garbled in my
> copy/paste into the message and I bungled retyping it.  The call to bodytext
> should have been to BodyText, since vimscript is case sensitive and that's
> name of function in vo_base that returns true if cursor is on a body text
> line.
>
> Please let me know of any other error and I'll help you sort it out.

With a simple: %s/bodytext/BodyText/g, that did get me further.

Next I got "unknown function: nexthead".

But again:

%s/nexthead/NextHead/g

And all is well! This is great! So Julian, with those two
substitutions, you should be good to go.

Just to double-check: for the basic vo_base.vim extension
you posted in the email we're talking about, you don't need
to patch and recompile Vim, right? The recompilation is just
to adjust the highlighting? (Which would also be very cool.)

I assume that's the case because the basic functionality I'm
seeing with this extension is _sweet_. Thanks again.

Bill

Re: How to keep body text folded

Herbert Sitz
Bill Powell wrote
First, let me add to the chorus of thanks for this work. :)

[. . . ]
Just to double-check: for the basic vo_base.vim extension
you posted in the email we're talking about, you don't need
to patch and recompile Vim, right?
Bill -- Thanks, yes, that's right, no need for the color-related Vim recompiling.  Nothing I've done _requires_ a recompiled Vim; you need to recompile only if you want consistent coloring of collapsed headlines.

I think I've corrected the typos in my original post (one 'bodytext' changed to 'BodyText' and one 'nexthead' changed to 'NextHead') so hopefully it will work without change if someone else tries to use it.

Also, I do have a recompiled executable of Vim 7 on WinXP that I'll make available to any WinXP users who want the level-dependent collapsed-headline coloring.  If you have Vim7 installed on your machine all you need to do is substitute a new exe for the old one.  (Or rename the new exe and have both versions running on same machine -- no reason for that really, but if you have cold feet just realize you can retain stock Vim even while using the patched one.)

-- Herb

Re: How to keep body text folded

Bill Powell
+++ hsitz [25/02/09 19:01 -0800]:
> > Just to double-check: for the basic vo_base.vim extension
> > you posted in the email we're talking about, you don't need
> > to patch and recompile Vim, right?
> Bill -- Thanks, yes, that's right, no need for the color-related Vim
> recompiling.  Nothing I've done requires a recompiled Vim; you need to
> recompile only to get consistent coloring of collapsed headlines.

Sweet. But I do look forward to seeing a versioning system
get set up, because (running Linux), I'd like to do that
patch and recompile. Colorschemes are important; I made my
own slight tweak to vo_base.vim awhile back so that the
heading syntax colors would tie in to the usual syntax
groups. Now your favorite colorschemes work in VO.  :)

http://billpowellisalive.com/vimoutliner-and-a-tweak-to-use-colorschemes
Scroll down to "Fix for..." heading.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Bill

Re: How to keep body text folded

Julian Ryde
Thanks for that guys, that is now working.  Having done the bodytext fix
I should have just persevered a bit longer for the nexthead fix.

Looking forward to seeing an SVN repository up and running :)

Thanks

Julian

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 08:07:26 pm Noel Henson wrote:

> Steve Litt handed VO to me when he was swamped years ago and I feel I have
> not done well by the project after having gotten so busy over the last year
> (after a 3-year drought in income in the embedded development industry).

Noel --

My perception is that you've done a spectacular job with the VO project.
Waaaayyyy beyond my wildest dreams. What you inherited was a functional and
trivially simple army surplus kludge ontop of Vim, and what you've turned it
into is a first class, professional outline processor.

Did I ever mention that checkboxes have revolutionized my life?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: How to keep body text folded

Peter Princz
Hello,

the same for me. I'm living in vim and vimoutliner (in a sense) since 2004.
(Around Christmas I even planned to donate to Bram for vim and to ask
here too if some money can be put into vimoutliner when I was hit by
the economic crisis.)

Have a nice day,
  Peter

2009/2/26 Steve Litt <[hidden email]>:

> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 08:07:26 pm Noel Henson wrote:
>
>> Steve Litt handed VO to me when he was swamped years ago and I feel I have
>> not done well by the project after having gotten so busy over the last year
>> (after a 3-year drought in income in the embedded development industry).
>
> Noel --
>
> My perception is that you've done a spectacular job with the VO project.
> Waaaayyyy beyond my wildest dreams. What you inherited was a functional and
> trivially simple army surplus kludge ontop of Vim, and what you've turned it
> into is a first class, professional outline processor.
>
> Did I ever mention that checkboxes have revolutionized my life?
>
> Thanks, and keep up the good work!
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US

Economic crisis: was How to keep body text folded

Steve Litt
On Thursday 26 February 2009 03:14:49 am Peter Princz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the same for me. I'm living in vim and vimoutliner (in a sense) since 2004.
> (Around Christmas I even planned to donate to Bram for vim and to ask
> here too if some money can be put into vimoutliner when I was hit by
> the economic crisis.)

This economic crisis is something, isn't it? It would be interesting to see if
there are ways VO can be used to help overcome the adverse economy. Perhaps
something as simple as using VO in a new way.