Problem with installation on Debian

J. Stitt
I'm happily using VimOutliner on a Kubuntu computer. I installed
vim-gtk, vim-vimoutliner and vim-addons and activated it with the latter.

Trying to do the same on Debian (testing) does not work. Vim does not
seem to recognize the plugin at all. There is no GUI "VO" menu, no
syntax highlighting and no comma-comma commands.

Is somebody else here using Debian and can help me figure this out?

Thank you

Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Noel Henson
J.

This is a known problem on any Debian-derived system. The only fix I know
of is to download VO from vimoutliner.org and install in your personal
directory. As soon as I get some free time, I'm going to publish vimballs
for per-user and system-wide installation.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Noel

On Monday 06 April 2009, J. Stitt wrote:

> I'm happily using VimOutliner on a Kubuntu computer. I installed
> vim-gtk, vim-vimoutliner and vim-addons and activated it with the
> latter.
>
> Trying to do the same on Debian (testing) does not work. Vim does not
> seem to recognize the plugin at all. There is no GUI "VO" menu, no
> syntax highlighting and no comma-comma commands.
>
> Is somebody else here using Debian and can help me figure this out?
>
> Thank you

Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Wondrak Gerhard, AU
Hi,
I fixed this as follows:
The problem is, that the vim-vimoutliner package installs itself
in /usr/share/vim/addons. This is not defined in the vim runtimepath, so
I added it:
in
        /usr/share/vim/vim71/debian.vim
I added the path
        /usr/share/vim/addons
in the runtimepath, so it looks like (in one line):

set runtimepath=~/.vim,/var/lib/vim/addons,
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim71,
/usr/share/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,
/var/lib/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after

then it recognizes the addon.

The comma-comma commands can be activated if you delete the comment sign
(") in /etc/vim/vimoutlinerrc in the line
"let  maplocalleader = ",,"

Then it worked fine on lenny (I work gui-less)

Gerhard

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 18:05 +0200, Noel Henson wrote:

> J.
>
> This is a known problem on any Debian-derived system. The only fix I
> know
> of is to download VO from vimoutliner.org and install in your personal
> directory. As soon as I get some free time, I'm going to publish
> vimballs
> for per-user and system-wide installation.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience,
>
> Noel
>
> On Monday 06 April 2009, J. Stitt wrote:
> > I'm happily using VimOutliner on a Kubuntu computer. I installed
> > vim-gtk, vim-vimoutliner and vim-addons and activated it with the
> > latter.
> >
> > Trying to do the same on Debian (testing) does not work. Vim does
> not
> > seem to recognize the plugin at all. There is no GUI "VO" menu, no
> > syntax highlighting and no comma-comma commands.
> >
> > Is somebody else here using Debian and can help me figure this out?
> >
> > Thank you

Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Noel Henson
Thanks for helping out. I don't know why the Debian package maintainer went
and changed the default behavior of VO. But, again, thanks for the help.

Noel

On Monday 06 April 2009, Gerhard Wondrak wrote:

> Hi,
> I fixed this as follows:
> The problem is, that the vim-vimoutliner package installs itself
> in /usr/share/vim/addons. This is not defined in the vim runtimepath, so
> I added it:
> in
> /usr/share/vim/vim71/debian.vim
> I added the path
> /usr/share/vim/addons
> in the runtimepath, so it looks like (in one line):
>
> set runtimepath=~/.vim,/var/lib/vim/addons,
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim71,
> /usr/share/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,
> /var/lib/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after
>
> then it recognizes the addon.
>
> The comma-comma commands can be activated if you delete the comment sign
> (") in /etc/vim/vimoutlinerrc in the line
> "let  maplocalleader = ",,"
>
> Then it worked fine on lenny (I work gui-less)
>
> Gerhard
>
> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 18:05 +0200, Noel Henson wrote:
> > J.
> >
> > This is a known problem on any Debian-derived system. The only fix I
> > know
> > of is to download VO from vimoutliner.org and install in your personal
> > directory. As soon as I get some free time, I'm going to publish
> > vimballs
> > for per-user and system-wide installation.
> >
> > Sorry for the inconvenience,
> >
> > Noel
> >
> > On Monday 06 April 2009, J. Stitt wrote:
> > > I'm happily using VimOutliner on a Kubuntu computer. I installed
> > > vim-gtk, vim-vimoutliner and vim-addons and activated it with the
> > > latter.
> > >
> > > Trying to do the same on Debian (testing) does not work. Vim does
> >
> > not
> >
> > > seem to recognize the plugin at all. There is no GUI "VO" menu, no
> > > syntax highlighting and no comma-comma commands.
> > >
> > > Is somebody else here using Debian and can help me figure this out?
> > >
> > > Thank you

Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Steve Litt
J. Stitt -- if you know how to make a Debian package, perhaps once you get the
thing figured out, you submit a workable package to the Debian project. I
think I've heard of Debian install problems for several years.

By the way, this is a long shot, but are you the Jim Stitt I knew from
Toastmasters?

SteveT

Gerhard Wondrak wrote:

> Hi,
> I fixed this as follows:
> The problem is, that the vim-vimoutliner package installs itself
> in /usr/share/vim/addons. This is not defined in the vim runtimepath, so
> I added it:
> in
> /usr/share/vim/vim71/debian.vim
> I added the path
> /usr/share/vim/addons
> in the runtimepath, so it looks like (in one line):
>
> set runtimepath=~/.vim,/var/lib/vim/addons,
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim71,
> /usr/share/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,
> /var/lib/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after
>
> then it recognizes the addon.
>
> The comma-comma commands can be activated if you delete the comment sign
> (") in /etc/vim/vimoutlinerrc in the line
> "let  maplocalleader = ",,"
>
> Then it worked fine on lenny (I work gui-less)

Hi Gerhard,

thanks for the info. I tried it on my computer, but without success.

I also tried removing the Debian package and install the script
manually. That changed the syntax colors but no more.

I noticed that you are using Vim 7.1 (lenny) and that on the computer,
on which TVO works for me, I do too (Kubuntu 8.10). Debian squeeze
however ships Vim 7.2. Could that be the problem?

Is somebody here using TVO with Vim 7.2?

PS: I am sorry that this mail is not a proper reply, so it will probably
not sort correctly. I overhastily deleted some mails.

PPS: Since it will not sort anyway, let me quickly reply to another mail
 right here: Steve Litt, I am afraid that I am not Jim Stitt from
Toastmasters. Sorry.

Re: Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Wondrak Gerhard, AU
Hi Steve,

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 15:06 +0200, J. Stitt wrote:

> thanks for the info. I tried it on my computer, but without success.
> I also tried removing the Debian package and install the script
> manually. That changed the syntax colors but no more.
> I noticed that you are using Vim 7.1 (lenny) and that on the computer,
> on which TVO works for me, I do too (Kubuntu 8.10). Debian squeeze
> however ships Vim 7.2. Could that be the problem?

Maybe some paths have been changed.
Dry to find out where the vim-vimoutliner package installs his addons.
This can be done with
$ dpkg -L vim-vimoutliner
This shows the installed files. Where are the ftplugin/vo_base.vim ?
Is the path in the runtimepath of debian.vim?

Gerhard

Re: Re: Problem with installation on Debian

John Porubek
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM, J. Stitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
> I noticed that you are using Vim 7.1 (lenny) and that on the computer,
> on which TVO works for me, I do too (Kubuntu 8.10). Debian squeeze
> however ships Vim 7.2. Could that be the problem?
>
> Is somebody here using TVO with Vim 7.2?
<snip>

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'm running VimOutliner with
Vim 7.2 under Windows XP. Also, I believe I'm running with Vim 7.2
under Kubuntu 8.10 on a machine at home, but I can't be sure. I don't
remember for sure, but I think I just did a manual install on the
Kubuntu machine. In any case, I don't believe that the differences
between Vim 7.1 and 7.2 would make a difference in running
VimOutliner.

Just to clarify, "TVO" refers to the other outliner that runs on Vim.
That confused me too early on.

John

Re: Re: Problem with installation on Debian

Ulrich Brinkmann
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:06:40PM +0200, J. Stitt wrote:

> Is somebody here using TVO with Vim 7.2?

I am. Could you try vim-addons (the command, in package
vim-addons-manager; option -h for help)? It installs the vim-packages for
the user. If you use that command without options, you get a list of
packages you can install. I don't really see through the debian policy
here, it seems that the packages are in the system but not yet
'installed'. Installation, then, is probably something like  'activation'.

It works for me, although I didn't manage to get rid of the backslash and
back  to double commas...

HTH Uli

--
Ulrich Brinkmann