Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

Kiwon Um

Hi there.
I've got a problem during VIMming.

I'm using VIM 7.1.175 (svn version) compiled with following options:
./configure --enable-xim --enable-gui --enable-multibyte -enable-
multilang
And I'm using nabi-0.99.0 XIM for hangul(Korean) input.

Input is fine all.
No problem is with that.
But when I search (/) some hangul words, the gvim is stopped to work.
If I use vim with xterm, that's fine again.
Only gui-version vim (gvim) has the problem, searching multibyte word.

Any idea?
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

Tony Mechelynck

Kiwon Um wrote:

> Hi there.
> I've got a problem during VIMming.
>
> I'm using VIM 7.1.175 (svn version) compiled with following options:
> ./configure --enable-xim --enable-gui --enable-multibyte -enable-
> multilang
> And I'm using nabi-0.99.0 XIM for hangul(Korean) input.
>
> Input is fine all.
> No problem is with that.
> But when I search (/) some hangul words, the gvim is stopped to work.
> If I use vim with xterm, that's fine again.
> Only gui-version vim (gvim) has the problem, searching multibyte word.
>
> Any idea?

I don't quite understand what the problem is: please corret me if I'm wrong.

You're hitting / followed by some hangul text, then <Enter>. This works fine
in Console Vim in xterm, but it hangs gvim. Is that it?

I suspect some interaction between Vim and XIM, but I'm not sure what. How do
you enter Korean text in xterm? Maybe Vim is completely bypassed in that case
(the interaction being between XIM and the terminal, not XIM and gvim)? What
are your XIM settings? (both in XIM, and IM-related settings in gvim)?



Best regards,
Tony.
--
% cat /usr/include/sys/errno.h
#define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */
#define ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */
#define ESRCH 3 /* No such process */
#define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */
[...]
#define EMACS 666 /* Editor Too Large */
%

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

Kiwon Um

On 12월30일, 오전12시31분, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Kiwon Um wrote:
> > Hi there.
> > I've got a problem during VIMming.
>
> > I'm using VIM 7.1.175 (svn version) compiled with following options:
> > ./configure --enable-xim --enable-gui --enable-multibyte -enable-
> > multilang
> > And I'm using nabi-0.99.0 XIM for hangul(Korean) input.
>
> > Input is fine all.
> > No problem is with that.
> > But when I search (/) some hangul words, the gvim is stopped to work.
> > If I use vim with xterm, that's fine again.
> > Only gui-version vim (gvim) has the problem, searching multibyte word.
>
> > Any idea?
>
> I don't quite understand what the problem is: please corret me if I'm wrong.
>
> You're hitting / followed by some hangul text, then <Enter>. This works fine
> in Console Vim in xterm, but it hangs gvim. Is that it?
>

That's right. After hitting <Enter>, process is hanging. (It needs to
force quit.)

> I suspect some interaction between Vim and XIM, but I'm not sure what. How do
> you enter Korean text in xterm? Maybe Vim is completely bypassed in that case
> (the interaction being between XIM and the terminal, not XIM and gvim)? What
> are your XIM settings? (both in XIM, and IM-related settings in gvim)?
>

I use same XIM for both xterm and gvim, nabi-0.99.0.
My /etc/X11/xinit/inputrc setting is as follows:

XIM=NABI
XMODIFIERS="@im=nabi"
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/nabi
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
QT_IM_MODULE=xim

As I mentioned before, even in gvim, hangul input is fine.
Only searching has the problem.

> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> % cat /usr/include/sys/errno.h
> #define EPERM           1               /* Operation not permitted */
> #define ENOENT          2               /* No such file or directory */
> #define ESRCH           3               /* No such process */
> #define EINTR           4               /* Interrupted system call */
> [...]
> #define EMACS           666             /* Editor Too Large */
> %

Thanks for your reply.
If you need to know something about my other XIM-related setting to
solve this problem, just let me know. :)
Thanks again.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

Jiang Jiang


On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Kiwon Um wrote:
> That's right. After hitting <Enter>, process is hanging. (It needs to
> force quit.)

I think it will be helpful to know where it stopped at. Could you please
run vim inside gdb and see if you can get a backtrace when it happens?

- Jiang


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

Kiwon Um

Hi all.

I've solved this problem.
It seemed to be problematic with my XIM module, nabi.

Today I've changed to scim-1.4.7 with scim-hangul-0.3.2.
And All is fine.

Thanks for all you guys' interests and advises. :)

Best regards,
Kiwon Um

On 12월31일, 오후6시50분, Jjgod Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Kiwon Um wrote:
> > That's right. After hitting <Enter>, process is hanging. (It needs to
> > force quit.)
>
> I think it will be helpful to know where it stopped at. Could you please
> run vim inside gdb and see if you can get a backtrace when it happens?
>
> - Jiang
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---