Problem with signcolum=number

Salman Halim
Hello,

When setting 'signcolumn' to number, if I edit a file containing fewer than ten lines and have a plug-in that shows marks as signs (or have manually created signs), the signs are occasionally three columns wide, thus wider than the number column. This breaks editing, such as pressing x to remove a character (it removes the wrong character).

I was able to work around this by setting 'numberwidth' to a larger number, but was wondering whether this could somehow be enforced as a minimum if using signcolum set to number.

Thank you,

--

Salman

Re: Problem with signcolum=number

Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Salman Halim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When setting 'signcolumn' to number, if I edit a file containing fewer
> than ten lines and have a plug-in that shows marks as signs (or have
> manually created signs), the signs are occasionally three columns
> wide, thus wider than the number column. This breaks editing, such as
> pressing x to remove a character (it removes the wrong character).

Can you post the sign definition? When you say "occasionally", do you
know which operation or movement triggers this?

Thanks,
Yegappan

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:33 AM Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Salman Halim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > When setting 'signcolumn' to number, if I edit a file containing fewer
> > than ten lines and have a plug-in that shows marks as signs (or have
> > manually created signs), the signs are occasionally three columns
> > wide, thus wider than the number column. This breaks editing, such as
> > pressing x to remove a character (it removes the wrong character).
> >

> Can you post the sign definition? When you say "occasionally", do you
> know which operation or movement triggers this?

What is the 'numberwidth' option set to?

- Yegappan

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 10:33 Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Salman Halim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When setting 'signcolumn' to number, if I edit a file containing fewer
> than ten lines and have a plug-in that shows marks as signs (or have
> manually created signs), the signs are occasionally three columns
> wide, thus wider than the number column. This breaks editing, such as
> pressing x to remove a character (it removes the wrong character).

Can you post the sign definition? When you say "occasionally", do you
know which operation or movement triggers this?

Thanks,
Yegappan

It's a trivial case.

Start with an empty file: gvim -u NONE -U NONE

(I use Windows, gvim 8.1-1608)

:set number numberwidth=1 signcolumn=number

Add the sign (named piet) in the example off :help :sign with the line changed to 1 and no file.

For me, the sign takes three columns, ">> ". Try typing on that line; the cursor should be off by one. Try hitting Escape and then hitting x. Again, off.

Hope this clarifies,

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:57 AM Salman Halim <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Salman Halim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > When setting 'signcolumn' to number, if I edit a file containing fewer
>> > than ten lines and have a plug-in that shows marks as signs (or have
>> > manually created signs), the signs are occasionally three columns
>> > wide, thus wider than the number column. This breaks editing, such as
>> > pressing x to remove a character (it removes the wrong character).
>> >

>> Can you post the sign definition? When you say "occasionally", do you
>> know which operation or movement triggers this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Yegappan
>

> It's a trivial case.
> Start with an empty file: gvim -u NONE -U NONE
> (I use Windows, gvim 8.1-1608)
>
> :set number numberwidth=1 signcolumn=number

As the sign text takes two columns, the minimum supported value for
'numberwidth' is 3 with 'signcolumn' set to 'number'.

When 'signcolumn' is set to 'number', I think we should change the value
of 'numberwidth' to a minimum of 3 (if it is less than 3)?

- Yegappan

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 11:18 Yegappan Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a trivial case.
> Start with an empty file: gvim -u NONE -U NONE
> (I use Windows, gvim 8.1-1608)
>
> :set number numberwidth=1 signcolumn=number

As the sign text takes two columns, the minimum supported value for
'numberwidth' is 3 with 'signcolumn' set to 'number'.

When 'signcolumn' is set to 'number', I think we should change the value
of 'numberwidth' to a minimum of 3 (if it is less than 3)?

- Yegappan

Yup. That's effectively what I suggested in my original email message.

Yegappan wrote:

> >> Can you post the sign definition? When you say "occasionally", do you
> >> know which operation or movement triggers this?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Yegappan
> >

> > It's a trivial case.
> > Start with an empty file: gvim -u NONE -U NONE
> > (I use Windows, gvim 8.1-1608)
> >
> > :set number numberwidth=1 signcolumn=number
> >

> As the sign text takes two columns, the minimum supported value for
> 'numberwidth' is 3 with 'signcolumn' set to 'number'.
>
> When 'signcolumn' is set to 'number', I think we should change the value
> of 'numberwidth' to a minimum of 3 (if it is less than 3)?

Yes, can be added to number_width().
Would appreciate if you add a test.

--
You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 11:56 AM Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yegappan wrote:

> > > It's a trivial case.
> > > Start with an empty file: gvim -u NONE -U NONE
> > > (I use Windows, gvim 8.1-1608)
> > >
> > > :set number numberwidth=1 signcolumn=number
> > >

> > As the sign text takes two columns, the minimum supported value for
> > 'numberwidth' is 3 with 'signcolumn' set to 'number'.
> >
> > When 'signcolumn' is set to 'number', I think we should change the value
> > of 'numberwidth' to a minimum of 3 (if it is less than 3)?
>
> Yes, can be added to number_width().
> Would appreciate if you add a test.

I created PR #4606 with a fix for this issue and the tests for it.

 https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/4606

- Yegappan