Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Lukas Muehlethaler
Hi,

I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
(']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
just in case...

Thanks for your help!

Lukas

P.S. Sorry for the crossposting!

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Chris Allen
On 09/10/05, Lukas Muehlethaler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
> GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
> (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
> highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't.

More generally, underlining and italics do not work for Vim 7 under OS
X's native GUI.  You can temporarily resolve the highlighting issue by
changing your highlighting settings to something which does not use
undercurl, underline or italics.

Regards,
Chris Allen

Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:

> I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
> GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
> (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
> highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
> enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
> just in case...

The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining).  I
hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.  Examples
can be found in the GTK and Win32 files: gui_gtk_x11.c function
draw_under() and gui_w32.c gui_mch_draw_string().

--
"You're fired." (1980)
"You're laid off." (1985)

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Lukas Muehlethaler
Dear Bram, dear Chris,

thank you very much for your help! With the colorscheme inkpot and
guifont=Courier:h12 the following works (in .gvimrc):

hi SpellBad guifg=Magenta         (or any other color)
hi SpellCap guifg=Red
hi SpellRare guifg=Yellow
hi SpellLocal guifg=Blue

Alternatively:

hi SpellBad gui=standout guifg=Magenta
hi SpellCap gui=standout guifg=Red
hi SpellRare gui=standout guifg=Yellow
hi SpellLocal gui=standout guifg=Blue

I am sure somebody has a better solution that works for most
colorschemes!

On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
>
>> I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both
>> with
>> GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both
>> versions
>> (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
>> highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
>> enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
>> just in case...
>
> The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining).  I
> hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.  Examples
> can be found in the GTK and Win32 files: gui_gtk_x11.c function
> draw_under() and gui_w32.c gui_mch_draw_string().
>
> --
> "You're fired." (1980)
> "You're laid off." (1985)
> "You're downsized." (1990)
> "You're rightsized." (1992)
> (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
>  \\\
> ///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
> http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
>   ///
>  \\\     Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html
>  ///

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Jussi Hagman
On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining).  I
> hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.

I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.

How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
> vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

Ah, interesting.  Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
not work when compiled with +multibyte.  I had previously just assumed
that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI (why
anyone would compile without multibyte in this day and age is a
mystery to me), but when you suggested an ATSUI problem I did a build
without multibyte and found underlining and bold worked again.

Thanks,
Chris Allen

On 24.10.2005, at 13:47, Chris Allen wrote:

> On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah, interesting.  Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
> probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
> not work when compiled with +multibyte.  I had previously just assumed
> that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI

Well, that must be the reason then. :(

I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Chris Allen
On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, that must be the reason then. :(

Yes, it is very disappointing.  I generally use console Vim on OS X
just because it is so much better than the GUI.  Sadly, the OS X
Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too!  Using xterm is
just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.
Ah well.

> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI.  I suspect it is
just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
now.  I'm not at all familiar with the Apple libraries, so it would
take me ages to do anything productive, even if I had time.

> Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
> On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

It does not.  I won't complain, though, at the font size I use.  If I
increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
drawing bugs.

Thanks,
Chris Allen

On 25.10.2005, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:

> On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, that must be the reason then. :(
>>

> Yes, it is very disappointing.  I generally use console Vim on OS X
> just because it is so much better than the GUI.  Sadly, the OS X
> Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too!  Using xterm is
> just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.

You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
GUI version is broken in various ways and the terminal on OS X is
quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
would find it an interesting project to work on.

>> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
>> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
>> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
>> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..
>>

> I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
> italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI.  I suspect it is
> just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
> now.

Sure it can be done and I'll try to take a look into it when I have
more time. But switching to QuickDraw rendering is the quick fix if
that is needed.

> It does not.  I won't complain, though, at the font size I use.  If I
> increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
> wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
> drawing bugs.

OK. Thanks for the information.

Greetings,
Jussi

On 25/10/05, Jussi Hagman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
> GUI version is broken in various ways

Indeed.  I think it would probably benefit from being broken up into
pre- and post-OS X files, but that view is based only on casual
inspection while chasing down bugs.

> and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be better when I finally
got around to upgrading.

> I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
> unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
> hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
> would find it an interesting project to work on.

I wouldn't mind helping, since I think Vim deserves to shine
everywhere, but I haven't got the time just at the moment.  I am
hoping that I will at some point, but my student years full of free
time are well behind me ;)

> OK. Thanks for the information.

No problem, thank you for taking an interest in the problem!

Chris Allen

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Marvin Humphrey

On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

> Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The GUI version is broken
> in various ways and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still
> is on 10.4...

I'm using one of the 6.3 binaries on OS X 10.4, and it's buggy but
usable.  I use the GUI version, as it has two advantages over the
terminal version that I'd rather not live without:

* I don't have to ":se nosmartindent" every time I want
   to paste something from the external clipboard.
* Syntax coloring is SO much better.

 From a satisfied customer,

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

[Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

Jussi Hagman wrote:

> On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining).  I
> > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.
>
> I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
> for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
> moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.
>
> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

Any kind of context diff will do.

> What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
> would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
>
> source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
> ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

Can we drop the pre-OS X support in Vim 7?  That would make things
simpler.  People who run OS 9 can probably keep using Vim 6.4.

> In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
> vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

It works for me, but not always.  There are problems with utf-8 text
and/or composing characters.

121. You ask for e-mail adresses instead of telephone numbers.

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///

On 21.11.2005, at 23:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Jussi Hagman wrote:
>

>> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
>> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
>
> Any kind of context diff will do.

OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

Greetings,
Jussi

On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:

> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of Internet...
Here is the patch again:

RCS file: /cvsroot/vim/vim7/src/gui_mac.c,v
retrieving revision 1.20
diff -c -r1.20 gui_mac.c
*** src/gui_mac.c 1 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0000 1.20
--- src/gui_mac.c 25 Nov 2005 19:11:13 -0000
***************
*** 4300,4305 ****
--- 4300,4328 ----
   {
   }

+ /*
+  * Draw undercurl at the bottom of the character cell.
+  */
+     static void
+ draw_undercurl(int flags, int row, int col, int cells)
+ {
+     int                 i;
+     int                 offset;
+     const static int    val[8] = {1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2 };
+     int                 y = FILL_Y(row + 1) - 1;
+
+     ForeColor(redColor);
+
+     offset = val[FILL_X(col) % 8];
+     MoveTo(FILL_X(col), y - offset);
+
+     for (i = FILL_X(col); i < FILL_X(col + cells); ++i)
+     {
+ offset = val[i % 8];
+ LineTo(i, y - offset);
+     }
+ }
+
       void
   gui_mch_draw_string(row, col, s, len, flags)
       int row;
***************
*** 4451,4456 ****
--- 4474,4484 ----
   #endif
       }

+     if (flags & DRAW_UNDERC)
+     {
+         draw_undercurl(flags, row, col, len);
+     }
+
   #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
       vim_free(tofree);
   #endif

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

Alan Schmitt

On 25 nov. 05, at 20:37, Jussi Hagman wrote:

> On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:
>>
>> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
>> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
>> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.
>
> Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of
> Internet... Here is the patch again:

Thanks a lot for the patch. Bram, can you let us know when it gets
integrated into the tarball?

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Jussi Hagman wrote:

> >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
> >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
> >
> > Any kind of context diff will do.
>
> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
> the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

Thanks.  I notice you use a fixed color, but I can see how to use
RGBForeColor().  I'll try it out...  Works fine!

213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///