Problem with system PATH in Gvim

Krzysztof Maj

Hello,
How to set the correct PATH variable in the Mac OSX environment for
GVim? I tried to do it like below in the GVim window, but it doesn't
work:

:!export PATH=/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/
usr/local/tex
live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:$PATH

:!echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

GVim still have the same PATH variable. How to force it to enhance
the PATH?

All the best,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?

All the best,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with system PATH in Gvim

Tony Mechelynck

Krzysztof Maj wrote:

> Hello,
> How to set the correct PATH variable in the Mac OSX environment for
> GVim? I tried to do it like below in the GVim window, but it doesn't work:
>
> :!export
> PATH=/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/tex
> live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:$PATH
>
> :!echo $PATH
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
>
> GVim still have the same PATH variable. How to force it to enhance the
> PATH?
>

> All the best,

        :let $PATH =
'/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/tex:live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:'
. $PATH

(all on one line).

IIUC, Vim executes external commands in a subshell, meaning that any
environment variables set (and even "exported") from that subshell will regain
their former values when the subshell terminates. The ":let" statement above
changes Vim's own environment, for Vim itself and all the shells it will
spawn, until you close that Vim session.

See ":help :let-$"

                My Favorite Drugs [Sung to My Favorite Things]
Reefers and roach clips and papers and rollers
Cocaine and procaine for twenty year molars
Reds and peyote to work out your bugs
These are a few of my favorite drugs.

Uppers and downers and methedrine freakout
Take some amphetamines, watch your brains leak out
Acid and mescaline pull out your plugs
These are a few of my favorite drugs.

Backs that are perfect for carrying monkeys
Users of heroin, often called junkies
Methadone helps then to stop being thugs
Takes them off one of my favorite drugs.

        On a bad trip
        When the cops come
        When I lose my head
        I simply take more of my favorite drugs
        And then I'm not sad -- I'm dead!

On 2007-10-09, at 22:42, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> IIUC, Vim executes external commands in a subshell, meaning that any
> environment variables set (and even "exported") from that subshell
> will regain
> their former values when the subshell terminates. The ":let"
> statement above
> changes Vim's own environment, for Vim itself and all the shells it
> will
> spawn, until you close that Vim session.
>
> See ":help :let-$"
Thanks a lot Tony!

All the best,