Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

Andrew Gollan
I had a quick look here to see if this was already discussed, but
couldn't see anything.

I am using MacVim 7.3-53 (the stable release as best I can tell). I
also use the US-Extended keyboard to enter a lot of vowels with
macrons (opt-a + vowel). I also convert a lot of texts without the
macrons to have them. (I am a Latin teacher).

When I use replace mode (the 'r' command) and then type the 'opt-a'
all looks good, I get the free-floating macron, but then vim ignores
the next letter completely: e.g. opt-a+i gives me just the macron not
the 'i' with a macron. If I hit another 'i' then it goes into insert
as you would expect.

This works properly in the vim 7.2 shipped by apple in /usr/bin, and I
would have sworn that it worked in previous MacVim versions, but I
can't be sure.

Can anyone point me at either what I doing wrong, or where I should

Andrew Gollan
quī loquitur Latīnē et linguam quoque docet.

Re: Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

Björn Winckler
Go into the advanced prefs and untick the "inline marked text" option. The only downside is that with the experimental renderer you won't see the combining character until the following character is typed (the default renderer doesn't exhibit this problem).

Björn

On Nov 27, 2010, at 6:48 AM, Andrew Gollan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a quick look here to see if this was already discussed, but
> couldn't see anything.
>
> I am using MacVim 7.3-53 (the stable release as best I can tell). I
> also use the US-Extended keyboard to enter a lot of vowels with
> macrons (opt-a + vowel). I also convert a lot of texts without the
> macrons to have them. (I am a Latin teacher).
>
> When I use replace mode (the 'r' command) and then type the 'opt-a'
> all looks good, I get the free-floating macron, but then vim ignores
> the next letter completely: e.g. opt-a+i gives me just the macron not
> the 'i' with a macron. If I hit another 'i' then it goes into insert
> as you would expect.
>
> This works properly in the vim 7.2 shipped by apple in /usr/bin, and I
> would have sworn that it worked in previous MacVim versions, but I
> can't be sure.
>
> Can anyone point me at either what I doing wrong, or where I should
>
> Andrew Gollan
> quī loquitur Latīnē et linguam quoque docet.

Re: Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

Andrew Gollan-2
On Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 9:27:37 AM UTC+11, björn wrote:

> Go into the advanced prefs and untick the "inline marked text" option. The only downside is that with the experimental renderer you won't see the combining character until the following character is typed (the default renderer doesn't exhibit this problem).
>
> Björn
>
> On Nov 27, 2010, at 6:48 AM, Andrew Gollan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I had a quick look here to see if this was already discussed, but
> > couldn't see anything.
> >
> > I am using MacVim 7.3-53 (the stable release as best I can tell). I
> > also use the US-Extended keyboard to enter a lot of vowels with
> > macrons (opt-a + vowel). I also convert a lot of texts without the
> > macrons to have them. (I am a Latin teacher).
> >
> > When I use replace mode (the 'r' command) and then type the 'opt-a'
> > all looks good, I get the free-floating macron, but then vim ignores
> > the next letter completely: e.g. opt-a+i gives me just the macron not
> > the 'i' with a macron. If I hit another 'i' then it goes into insert
> > as you would expect.
> >
> > This works properly in the vim 7.2 shipped by apple in /usr/bin, and I
> > would have sworn that it worked in previous MacVim versions, but I
> > can't be sure.
> >
> > Can anyone point me at either what I doing wrong, or where I should
> >
> > Andrew Gollan
> > quī loquitur Latīnē et linguam quoque docet.
> >
> > --
> > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
I am suffering exactly this behaviour again with MacVim 8.1, while the command-line version shipped with OSX 10.14.2 (8.0.1283) does the right thing. There is no such option under advanced prefs now. Help.

Andrew

On Saturday, November 27, 2010 at 12:48:47 PM UTC+1, Andrew Gollan wrote:

> I had a quick look here to see if this was already discussed, but
> couldn't see anything.
>
> I am using MacVim 7.3-53 (the stable release as best I can tell). I
> also use the US-Extended keyboard to enter a lot of vowels with
> macrons (opt-a + vowel). I also convert a lot of texts without the
> macrons to have them. (I am a Latin teacher).
>
> When I use replace mode (the 'r' command) and then type the 'opt-a'
> all looks good, I get the free-floating macron, but then vim ignores
> the next letter completely: e.g. opt-a+i gives me just the macron not
> the 'i' with a macron. If I hit another 'i' then it goes into insert
> as you would expect.
>
> This works properly in the vim 7.2 shipped by apple in /usr/bin, and I
> would have sworn that it worked in previous MacVim versions, but I
> can't be sure.
>
> Can anyone point me at either what I doing wrong, or where I should
>
> Andrew Gollan
> quī loquitur Latīnē et linguam quoque docet.
I'm not on a Mac so I'm answering in general "Vim" terms. I see two ways to add a macron (or a breve) on a vowel with no special OS-related settings; this assumes that your 'encoding' is set to utf-8 and that 'fileencoding' (singular) for the file in question is either empty or some Unicode charset.

Method 1: Add a combining macron or breve.

This method does not remove the existing vowel but adds an additional accent which is displayed at the same place in the text. This "composing character" must be placed immediately after the "spacing character" for the vowel (place your cursor on the vowel in Normal mode, then hit a). In Insert mode, Ctrl-V u 0304 (with no spaces in between) adds a combining macron to the letter immediately before the cursor, and Ctrl-V u 0306 adds a combining breve.

Method 2: Replace the vowel by a precomposed vowel-with-macron or vowel-with-breve

Method 2a: by making a keymap (Requires a Vim compiled with +keymap, se the output of ":version"). For such a low number of characters I don't recommend making a keymap but I have written a HowTo about keymaps at https://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap

Method 2b: By using digraphs (requires a Vim compiled with +digraphs, see the output of ":version").
The digraphs for precomposed vowel+macron and vowel+breve are already defined. (I think, however, that y-breve doesn't exist; but y is only used in Latin for transliteration of Greek names so maybe you can do without it). Use the following (with no spaces) when Vim expects you to type a character into the editfile:
Ctrl-K a - (the last of these is a minus sign) gives a+macron
Ctrl-K e - gives e+macron
etc.
Ctrl-K a ( gives a+breve
Ctrl-K e ( gives e+breve
etc.
Vim regards each of these Ctrl-Kxx combinations as one letter for e.g. the operand of the Normal-mode r command. They also work in Insert or Replace, and even Command-line, modes.

HTH,

Re: Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

P.S. Combining characters and precomposed characters can even be used together, as in the first syllable of the dactylic hexameter scansion of

Dǣdălŭs īntĕrĕā Krētēn lōngūmquĕ pĕrōsus
Ēxsĭlĭō tāctūsquĕ lŏcī nātālĭs ămōre…

where AFAIK there is no precomposed æ with caron.

Re: Problem with the 'r' replace command and the US-Extended keyboard

Yee Cheng Chin-2
The option still exists and is called "Draw marked text inline". Unchecking it will fix it as before. Did you try that?

I do agree it's kind of a bug as I'm not a big fan of using advanced preferences to mask an implementation issue. Please file an issue at https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim/issues so I can triage.

Otherwise as Tony Mechelynck mentioned digraphs work too and is cross platform. The entry method here (Option key sequence) is a Mac-specific method of entry and there's still value in support that as MacVim aims to support native macOS features as much as possible.