Problems with MySQL server on script page (vim.org)

Problems with MySQL server on script page (vim.org)

Kristofer Rye
Trying to view a script here:
(http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=231)

And it yields a "Vim Online Error":
script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Currently this script is important for me to continue writing code, so
I'm forced to switch to emacs until this problem gets resolved. D:

// Kristofer "four04" Rye

RE: Problems with MySQL server on script page (vim.org)

JohnBeckett
Kristofer Rye wrote:
> Trying to view a script here:
> (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=231)
>
> And it yields a "Vim Online Error":
> script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

Yes, I just noticed that when trying to check for vim.org spam.
Sourceforge (where vim.org is located) recently sent two emails
to developers saying that they were changing various things for
an exciting new system.

I see that http://www.vim.org/ has this message:

  [29-Apr-2013] Sourceforge is currently experiencing sporadic
  problems with their project database and web server. This
  means news, scripts and tips are currently unavailable.
  Thank you for your patience. (Scott Johnston)
  Another way to get to the scripts is through git on github.

I believe Scott set the system up, so I'm very glad to see he is
still around, and will presumably do whatever is needed when
Sourceforge has settled down.

OTOH I hope that's not some automated message that displays
(with the current date) when the database can't be accessed!

John

Re: Problems with MySQL server on script page (vim.org)

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013, Kristofer Rye wrote:

> Trying to view a script here:
> (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=231)

Script is mirrored at:
https://github.com/vim-scripts/Smart-Tabs

To find what script it was, I googled:
site:vim.org inurl:231

> And it yields a "Vim Online Error":
> script:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> Currently this script is important for me to continue writing code, so
> I'm forced to switch to emacs until this problem gets resolved. D:

If it's that essential, maybe you should grab a copy and put it in git
or mercurial.

--
Best,
Ben

John Beckett wrote:
> I see that http://www.vim.org/ has this message:
>
>   [29-Apr-2013] Sourceforge is currently experiencing sporadic
>   problems with their project database and web server. This
>   means news, scripts and tips are currently unavailable.
>   Thank you for your patience. (Scott Johnston)
>   Another way to get to the scripts is through git on github.

I've had time to check this a bit more, and I see that the above
is built-in to the PHP code, so we are on our own.
(I had imagined that a reference to "github" could not be in the
fairly old vim.org code, but I'm misremembering history.)

Amusingly, the first Google hit I got was Vimboss (Bram)
reporting a similar problem in February 2011:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/17514

I'll have a bit of a look at what config needs to be changed,
but I'm hoping Bram will see this and know where to hit it.
My feeble attempts at navigating Sourceforge show no mention of
SQL changes.

John