Problems with Vim lists on Google Groups

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems with Vim lists on Google Groups

Bram Moolenaar


Hello Vim users,

A few weeks ago the Vim maillists were moved to the Google Groups
system.  For most people this worked well, but some experienced problems
receiving and posting messages.  That means one is successfully
subscribed, but messages are not received and posting is not allowed.

It took a while to figure out what went wrong.  It turned out that it
was caused by a denied mass-subscribe request.  At first I had tried to
automatically subscribe the subscribers of the old maillists at Google
Groups.  The requests that were denied have resulted in a special flag
for the e-mail addresses in these lists.  That caused the problems.

I have sent this message to the people in the denied requests, but
I got quite a few bounces.  Thus I'm repeating the message here for
others that appear to be in this situation.

If you have the problems described, you can do one of these:
- Subscribe with another e-mail address.
- Some people reported that it started working after creating a Google
  account.
- Contact Groups support at this URL:
  http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py

I'm very sorry we caused these problems and it took so long to figure
out what went wrong.

--
If Microsoft would build a car...
... the oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would
all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Vim lists on Google Groups

Tony Mechelynck

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

>
> Hello Vim users,
>
> A few weeks ago the Vim maillists were moved to the Google Groups
> system.  For most people this worked well, but some experienced problems
> receiving and posting messages.  That means one is successfully
> subscribed, but messages are not received and posting is not allowed.
>
> It took a while to figure out what went wrong.  It turned out that it
> was caused by a denied mass-subscribe request.  At first I had tried to
> automatically subscribe the subscribers of the old maillists at Google
> Groups.  The requests that were denied have resulted in a special flag
> for the e-mail addresses in these lists.  That caused the problems.
>
> I have sent this message to the people in the denied requests, but
> I got quite a few bounces.  Thus I'm repeating the message here for
> others that appear to be in this situation.
>
> If you have the problems described, you can do one of these:
> - Subscribe with another e-mail address.
> - Some people reported that it started working after creating a Google
>   account.
> - Contact Groups support at this URL:
>   http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py
>
> I'm very sorry we caused these problems and it took so long to figure
> out what went wrong.
>

I "may" be victim of that mass subscribe -- I don't rightly know. Here's what
I experience:
- My gmail account "knows" that I am both [hidden email] and
[hidden email]
- My Google Groups are set to send email to the former but know about the
latter (it appears in the drop-down).
- My @skynet.be address used to be my address-of-record for Vim lists before
the switch to Google groups.
- I can post with @gmail.com in my from-line, but @skynet.be gets a bounce.

I don't really need help, since I can use @gmail.com to post, and Thunderbird
(which reads my Google mail by POP) correctly sets the from-address to
@gmail.com when I reply to a vim-list post. The only time I must pay attention
to which identity I send mail from is when creating a new thread.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
                -- Candice Bergen

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems with polish characters in VIM

Krzysztof Maj
Hello,
I just compiled VIM 7.1.68 on my Mac Tiger platform. Everything work  
great, but I cannot force it to accept polish keyboard anymore. I  
tried many things, changing terminal options, fonts etc and nothing.  
My .gvimrc file:

set enc=utf-8
set guifont=Courier:h22
set background=dark
set backupcopy=yes
set nofen
set fdl=0
set autoread
set ruler

"Set backspace
set backspace=eol,start,indent
"Backspace and cursor keys wrap to
set whichwrap+=<,>,h,l

set incsearch

"Set magic on
set magic

"No sound on errors.
set noerrorbells
set novisualbell
set t_vb=

"show matching bracets
set showmatch

"Format the statusline
set statusline=\ %F%m%r%h\ %w\ \ Line:\ %l/%L:%c

set fileformats+=mac
set fileformats+=dos

set cursorline
hi cursorline guibg=#433333
hi CursorColumn guibg=#333333
colorscheme darkblue

syntax enable
set number

autocmd BufWinEnter * lcd %:p:h


ViM is not compled with myltibyte option, because when I tried to do  
so during configuration process, compilation start crashing.
Insted of polish characters I have something like ę, ć, ó I see  
'~M~W. When I copy it and put to email window for instance they are  
display correct like ęćó. What is going on??

Many thanks for any suggestions...

Best regards,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?



smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with polish characters in VIM

Tony Mechelynck

Krzysztof Maj wrote:
> Hello,
> I just compiled VIM 7.1.68 on my Mac Tiger platform. Everything work
> great, but I cannot force it to accept polish keyboard anymore. I tried
> many things, changing terminal options, fonts etc and nothing. My
> .gvimrc file:
>
> set enc=utf-8
[...]
> ViM is not compled with myltibyte option, because when I tried to do so
> during configuration process, compilation start crashing.
> Insted of polish characters I have something like ę, ć, ó I see '~M~W.
> When I copy it and put to email window for instance they are display
> correct like ęćó. What is going on??
>
> Many thanks for any suggestions...
>
> Best regards,

Without +multi_byte, you cannot use UTF-8, which is a multibyte encoding using
between one and six bytes per character in theory, one and four in practice,
to represent characters. Every codepoint above U+007F, including many Polish
characters such as L-bar, anything with ogonek, etc., requires two or more
bytes in UTF-8.

A build of Vim with --disable-multibyte might support Polish using some 8-bit
East-European encoding, it won't support UTF-8, and it won't be able to
display UTF-8 files correctly.

You may want to check your src/auto/config.log for a hint of why configure
crashed.

I'm adding vim_dev to the list of groups this is sent to because I have a
feeling this might be a general config question rather than a specific
multibyte question.

Oh, and by the way, the latest patchlevel is now 87. See
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README for details.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
"There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't
aggravate."

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with polish characters in VIM

Nico Weber-3
In reply to this post by Krzysztof Maj

Hi,

> I just compiled VIM 7.1.68 on my Mac Tiger platform. Everything  
> work great, but I cannot force it to accept polish keyboard  
> anymore. I tried many things, changing terminal options, fonts etc  
> and nothing. My .gvimrc file:

as Tony said, you need to configure with --enable-multibyte. This  
option works for me...where did you get your source from?

Nico

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with polish characters in VIM

Krzysztof Maj

On 2007-08-29, at 08:38, Nico Weber wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
>> I just compiled VIM 7.1.68 on my Mac Tiger platform. Everything
>> work great, but I cannot force it to accept polish keyboard
>> anymore. I tried many things, changing terminal options, fonts etc
>> and nothing. My .gvimrc file:
>
> as Tony said, you need to configure with --enable-multibyte. This
> option works for me...where did you get your source from?
>
Well I get the source from the official VIM site AFAIK. Maybe I  
should to try once again or get the newer minor release. I am using  
svn to get the source from the repository:

mkrzychs-computer:~/bin mkrzych$ more getvimsource
cd ~/Downled/Source/ && svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/ 
svnroot/vim/vim7

Version 7.1.68 does not compile with multibyte option on my Mac Tiger  
10.4.10.



Pozdrawiam,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?



smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with polish characters in VIM

Krzysztof Maj
In reply to this post by Tony Mechelynck

On 2007-08-29, at 08:26, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Oh, and by the way, the latest patchlevel is now 87. See
> http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README for details.

Eureka! I just compiled .87 patchlevel sources and everything works  
fine now.
Thanks a lot guys!


Cheers,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?



smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment