Problems with multibyte gvim on Mac OS X

Problems with multibyte gvim on Mac OS X

Benjamin Esham
I'm trying to compile gvim 6.3.085 (the latest) with support for
multi-byte stuff.  Compilation seems to go fine after I do `./
configure --enable-multibyte && make && make install', but when I
launch vim I get visual problems as in the screenshot below and the
multibyte features don't seem to work anyway!

Specifically, I set "encoding=utf-8".  After typing some accented
characters ("àèìòù"), there are display issues-- each character
appears instead as "¬", and the displayed contents of the line
changed as I moved the insertion point.  When I opened the file in
TextEdit, the displayed content was "¬à¬è¬ì¬ò¬ù"; when I looked at
the file in a hex editor, I saw "c288 c28f c293 c298 c29d 0a00".  As
far as I can tell, some of these aren't even valid UTF-8 bytes!

The attached screenshot below shows "normal" gvim, before the
multibyte support was added, and then the gvim with multibyte
support.  As you can see, every space is displayed as a dark square
(this happens with other color schemes as well).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there just not support for UTF-8 in
Vim on Mac OS X?

--
Benjamin D. Esham
[hidden email]   |   http://bdesham.net   |   AIM: bdesham128
and has features like tabbed browsing. http://www.getfirefox.com

Re: Problems with multibyte gvim on Mac OS X

Benjamin Esham
On Jul 27, 2005, at 7:51 PM, Benjamin Esham wrote:

> The attached screenshot below shows "normal" gvim, before the
> multibyte support was added, and then the gvim with multibyte
> support.  As you can see, every space is displayed as a dark square
> (this happens with other color schemes as well).

I guess attachments to the list aren't allowed... you can view that
image at

   http://www.bdesham.net/img/vim_multibyte.png

--
Benjamin D. Esham
[hidden email]   |   http://bdesham.net   |   AIM: bdesham128
* Still using Internet Explorer?  Firefox is newer, more secure,
and has features like tabbed browsing. http://www.getfirefox.com

Re: Problems with multibyte gvim on Mac OS X

Chris Allen
On 27/07/05, Benjamin Esham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile gvim 6.3.085 (the latest) with support for
> multi-byte stuff.  Compilation seems to go fine after I do `./
> configure --enable-multibyte && make && make install', but when I
> launch vim I get visual problems as in the screenshot below and the
> multibyte features don't seem to work anyway!

How very strange (cue "I'm sure it used to work ...")!  Multibyte
doesn't work for me using the stock build from macvim, either.  It
certainly does work using Vim7aa out of CVS, though, and that has been
pretty stable, in general, so it might meet your needs.  I use it
every day, and issues are only rare ;)

Chris