Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Albatossable-2
Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

Re: Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Sam Roberts
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Albatossable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
> Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

Its not clear to me what you are asking for, it actually sounds like
vim's default behaviour.

Check this out,
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_all_search_pattern_matches, see if
something there is close to what you want.

Sam

Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
> Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
> Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

Re: Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Mohit Sharma
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Albatossable <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
> Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
> Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the modern editors I know have this feature.

is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

It's not a standard Vim feature mostly because you would want the search to be snappy I guess. I'm also unaware of any plugin that does that but you can write your own using match for highlighting and getchar() to get key events.

Re: Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Chris Lott
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Albatossable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

Something along these lines might help:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip572

Chris Lott <[hidden email]>

Re: Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Jan Larres
Albatossable <[hidden email]>:
> Il giorno sabato 1 marzo 2014 21:51:50 UTC+1, Albatossable ha scritto:
>> Is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental
>> search while still typing (i.e. as after pressing <Enter>)?
>> Strangely, I haven't found anywhere a solution, while most of the
>> modern editors I know have this feature.
>
> is it possible to highlight all occurences found during incremental
> search _WHILE STILL TYPING_?

EasyMotion can do that:
https://github.com/Lokaltog/vim-easymotion

-Jan

--
-[ OpenPGP key ID: 00A0FD5F ]-
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's

Re: Progressive highlight while typing - incsearch

Benji Fisher-2

You might try looking at word_complete.vim:  http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=73 .  Some people actually use it, but I wrote it as a proof of concept.  As such, it might serve as a starting point if you want to do something else while still typing.

--
Benji Fisher