Proposal for a new logo

Daniel Nogradi
Dear VIM users,

Following the suggestions of some of you on this list I created a
draft for a new logo. It is perhaps very preliminary but illustrates
what I have in mind:

 * simplicity
 * clarity
 * scalability
 * suitable for png, jpg, ico formats
 * allows for variations
 * no cute animals or such
 * easily recognizable as VIM

There are many parameters in the current design that can be altered
easily, colors, border, border width, etc, etc.

I would be happy to hear any feedback may it be positive or negative,
comment, remark, suggestion, whatever.

Please take a look here: http://lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~nogradi/vim/

Re: Proposal for a new logo

mzyzik
I personally don't like it. I only agree with the goals that you have;
but this particular logo i don't like.

The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.

take a look at the vim logo here: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons/TXT.xml

notice that it's the old logo... but a little "revamped"

--Matt

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 06:42:18PM +0200, Daniel Nogradi wrote:

> Dear VIM users,
>
> Following the suggestions of some of you on this list I created a
> draft for a new logo. It is perhaps very preliminary but illustrates
> what I have in mind:
>
>  * simplicity
>  * clarity
>  * scalability
>  * suitable for png, jpg, ico formats
>  * allows for variations
>  * no cute animals or such
>  * easily recognizable as VIM
>
> There are many parameters in the current design that can be altered
> easily, colors, border, border width, etc, etc.
>
> I would be happy to hear any feedback may it be positive or negative,
> comment, remark, suggestion, whatever.
>
> Please take a look here: http://lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~nogradi/vim/

Re: Proposal for a new logo

robert h-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> I personally don't like it. I only agree with the goals that you have;
> but this particular logo i don't like.
>
> The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.
>
> take a look at the vim logo here: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons/TXT.xml
>
> notice that it's the old logo... but a little "revamped"
>
> --Matt
>
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 06:42:18PM +0200, Daniel Nogradi wrote:
>> Dear VIM users,
>>
>> Following the suggestions of some of you on this list I created a
>> draft for a new logo. It is perhaps very preliminary but illustrates
>> what I have in mind:
>>
>>  * simplicity
>>  * clarity
>>  * scalability
>>  * suitable for png, jpg, ico formats
>>  * allows for variations
>>  * no cute animals or such
>>  * easily recognizable as VIM
>>
>> There are many parameters in the current design that can be altered
>> easily, colors, border, border width, etc, etc.
>>
>> I would be happy to hear any feedback may it be positive or negative,
>> comment, remark, suggestion, whatever.
>>
>> Please take a look here: http://lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~nogradi/vim/

I actually don't like either one. I like the current logo and I would be
really picky about any changes to it.

On a separate topic I think the default icons for the toolbar could be
tweaked.

Robert

Re: Proposal for a new logo

mzyzik
> I actually don't like either one. I like the current logo and I would be
> really picky about any changes to it.
>
> On a separate topic I think the default icons for the toolbar could be
> tweaked.

I agree about that.

> Robert

Re: Proposal for a new logo

Steve Hall-4
On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 14:45 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 06:42:18PM +0200, Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> >
> > Following the suggestions of some of you on this list I created a
> > draft for a new [vim] logo.
[snip]

> The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.
>
>   take a look at the vim logo here:
http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons/TXT.xml

> notice that it's the old logo... but a little "revamped"

Yes, sort of along the lines of the Crystal Icon theme version:

  http://greengenes.lbl.gov/Download/crystal/48x48/apps/gvim.png

which, IMO, is a nice modern interpretation.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]
::

Re: Proposal for a new logo

Eddy Petrișor
> I personally don't like it. I only agree with the goals that you have;
> but this particular logo i don't like.

I agree.

> take a look at the vim logo here: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons/TXT.xml
>
> notice that it's the old logo... but a little "revamped"

These both are really nice; the one with the gears is the one I like best.

EddyP

Re: Proposal for a new logo

iler.ml
> I personally don't like it. I only agree with the goals that you have;
> but this particular logo i don't like.
>
> The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.

I agree. I like the current(old) logo.

Yakov

Re: Proposal for a new logo

Peter Slizik

> > Following the suggestions of some of you on this list I created a
> > draft for a new logo. It is perhaps very preliminary but illustrates
> > what I have in mind:
> >
> >  * simplicity
> >  * clarity
> >  * scalability
> >  * suitable for png, jpg, ico formats

It should be also suitable for SVG (and other vector graphic formats) as well.

Just a suggestion,

-- Peter

> >  * allows for variations
> >  * no cute animals or such
> >  * easily recognizable as VIM

Re: Proposal for a new logo

Anthony Campbell-3
On 10 Apr 2006, Yakov Lerner wrote:
> > I personally don't like it. I only agree with the goals that you have;
> > but this particular logo i don't like.
> >
> > The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.
>
> I agree. I like the current(old) logo.
>
> Yakov

As we seem to be voting informally, I like the current one too.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
on-line books and sceptical articles)

Re: Proposal for a new logo

Daniel Nogradi
> > > The old was very good... it could simply be revamped.
> >
> > I agree. I like the current(old) logo.
>
> As we seem to be voting informally, I like the current one too.

Well, I guess that is a resounding 'no' for a new logo, so I'll forget
about the whole subject :)

Thanks for the feedback in any case.

RE: Proposal for a new logo

Zdenek Sekera