Put something other than line numbers in the line numbers column?

Put something other than line numbers in the line numbers column?

Ranec-3

Is it possible to put something other than line numbers in the column
used by :set number?
In most revision control systems, you can annotate or blame the source
file with which revision each line comes from.
I'd like to use the Python API to the Perforce C/C++ API to supply the
version numbers for each line.
But I would love to have this in the edited buffer and not actually
edit the current buffer.
The line number column sounds ideal!

TIA

-R

Re: Put something other than line numbers in the line numbers column?

Charles Campbell

Ranec wrote:

> Is it possible to put something other than line numbers in the column
> used by :set number?
> In most revision control systems, you can annotate or blame the source
> file with which revision each line comes from.
> I'd like to use the Python API to the Perforce C/C++ API to supply the
> version numbers for each line.
> But I would love to have this in the edited buffer and not actually
> edit the current buffer.
> The line number column sounds ideal!

No.

But you may be interested in signs (read:  :help signs).  To use them,
your vim needs to have the signs feature (:version, look for +signs).
Typically that means that your vim was compiled with the "huge" model.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Put something other than line numbers in the line numbers column?

Benjamin Fritz

On Feb 9, 11:03 am, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> But you may be interested in signs (read:  :help signs).  To use them,
> your vim needs to have the signs feature (:version, look for +signs).
> Typically that means that your vim was compiled with the "huge" model.

Unless I misunderstand the help files, "signs" will be of no use here,
as they are limited to 2 characters.

You may be able to read in the blame output into a new vertically
split buffer, and then set scrollbind on both buffers so that they
scroll together. Something similar was actually discussed on this list
and vim_dev recently:

http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/35bd89f444420e32/cd88aec07032c8aa
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/6c13721bda3bd90e/b6d904c0aa4fb327