Puzzling regexp match

Lifepillar
I might be missing something trivial, but I need others's
eyes to look at it. Why are these patterns

:echo match('x', "[)-~]")
:echo match('x', "[(-~]")
:echo match('x', "[(->]")
:echo match('x', "[)->]")

matching? It seems they match any character.

Thanks,
Life.

Re: Puzzling regexp match

Dominique Pellé
Lifepillar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I might be missing something trivial, but I need others's
> eyes to look at it. Why are these patterns
>
> :echo match('x', "[)-~]")
> :echo match('x', "[(-~]")
> :echo match('x', "[(->]")
> :echo match('x', "[)->]")
>
> matching? It seems they match any character.
>
> Thanks,
> Life.

When you type something like [0-9] it matches
any number between 0 and 9.  Similarly, when
you type [)-~] it matches any character between
) and ~  (which includes all letters and more).

Regards
Dominique

Re: Puzzling regexp match

Lifepillar
On 29/10/2017 19:45, Dominique Pellé wrote:

> Lifepillar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I might be missing something trivial, but I need others's
>> eyes to look at it. Why are these patterns
>>
>> :echo match('x', "[)-~]")
>> :echo match('x', "[(-~]")
>> :echo match('x', "[(->]")
>> :echo match('x', "[)->]")
>>
>> matching? It seems they match any character.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Life.
>
> When you type something like [0-9] it matches
> any number between 0 and 9.  Similarly, when
> you type [)-~] it matches any character between
> ) and ~  (which includes all letters and more).

Ah right, thanks! You know, when you are staring at something
for a while and cannot see the obvious...

Life.