Python not working on vim7.3

binxter
I recently installed Python 3.1.2 on my system as well as gvim7.3.
When I launch gvim and type the command :version I see +python/dyn as
well as +python3/dyn

However, when I run
:python3 print('hi')

I receive the following error:
E370: Could not load library python31.dll
E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
loaded.

I did a system wide search for python31.dll and found it in C:\Windows
\System32

I'm obviously missing something. Where does vim look for the dll when
running :python3 commands. Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated.

Re: Python not working on vim7.3

bill lam
Пнд, 18 Окт 2010, binxter писал(а):

> I recently installed Python 3.1.2 on my system as well as gvim7.3.
> When I launch gvim and type the command :version I see +python/dyn as
> well as +python3/dyn
>
> However, when I run
> :python3 print('hi')
>
> I receive the following error:
> E370: Could not load library python31.dll
> E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
> loaded.
>
> I did a system wide search for python31.dll and found it in C:\Windows
> \System32
>
> I'm obviously missing something. Where does vim look for the dll when
> running :python3 commands. Any help with this would be greatly
> appreciated.

Did you check they are 32-bit or 64-bit ?

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: Python not working on vim7.3

Francis (Grizzly) Smit
On 19/10/10 08:09, binxter wrote:

> I recently installed Python 3.1.2 on my system as well as gvim7.3.
> When I launch gvim and type the command :version I see +python/dyn as
> well as +python3/dyn
>
> However, when I run
> :python3 print('hi')
>
> I receive the following error:
> E370: Could not load library python31.dll
> E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
> loaded.
>
> I did a system wide search for python31.dll and found it in C:\Windows
> \System32
>
> I'm obviously missing something. Where does vim look for the dll when
> running :python3 commands. Any help with this would be greatly
> appreciated.

I have a similar problem on unbuntu linux (32bit) I have +python/dyn
+python3/dyn in the version output  but when I try to use them like

:python3 print('hi')
I get

E448: Could not load library function PySys_SetArgv
E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
loaded.

and the same for python earlier than 3

Re: Python not working on vim7.3

Sayth Renshaw

On Oct 19, 10:15 am, "Grizzly(Francis Smit)" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 19/10/10 08:09, binxter wrote:
>

> > I recently installed Python 3.1.2 on my system as well as gvim7.3.
> > When I launch gvim and type the command :version I see +python/dyn as
> > well as +python3/dyn
>
> > However, when I run
> > :python3 print('hi')
>
> > I receive the following error:
> > E370: Could not load library python31.dll
> > E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
> > loaded.
>
> > I did a system wide search for python31.dll and found it in C:\Windows
> > \System32
>
> > I'm obviously missing something. Where does vim look for the dll when
> > running :python3 commands. Any help with this would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> I have a similar problem on unbuntu linux (32bit) I have +python/dyn
> +python3/dyn in the version output  but when I try to use them like
>
> :python3 print('hi')
> I get
>
> E448: Could not load library function PySys_SetArgv
> E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
> loaded.
>
> and the same for python earlier than 3

Ar you using vim with python3 built in. In the vim 7.3 standard
download onlypython 2.7 support is built in.

Here is an article on complin in support for other python versions.

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Build_Python-enabled_Vim_on_Windows_with_MinGW

Re: Python not working on vim7.3

binxter
That's a good point. Vim is in the Programs x86 folder and I believe I
grabbed the 64 bit Python.

On Oct 18, 4:13 pm, bill lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Пнд, 18 Окт 2010, binxter писал(а):
>

> > I recently installed Python 3.1.2 on my system as well as gvim7.3.
> > When I launch gvim and type the command :version I see +python/dyn as
> > well as +python3/dyn
>
> > However, when I run
> > :python3 print('hi')
>
> > I receive the following error:
> > E370: Could not load library python31.dll
> > E263: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Python library could not be
> > loaded.
>
> > I did a system wide search for python31.dll and found it in C:\Windows
> > \System32
>
> > I'm obviously missing something. Where does vim look for the dll when
> > running :python3 commands. Any help with this would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Did you check they are 32-bit or 64-bit ?
>
> --
> regards,
> GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24
> gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4434BAB3

Re: Python not working on vim7.3

binxter
Thanks for the link. I'm still confused though because running :help
python states that if there is a '+' sign next to the option, then
that version of python is available. If the reality is that Vim7.3 is
only compiled for Python 2.7 support, but :version displays +python
and +python3, it seems that there's a disconnect.