Quantcast

Python syntax & executing code.

ghost202
I'm new to VIM.

I currently run VIM in the mac terminal, and was curious as to how you get the python syntax coloring to show, as well as how to run the python code.

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ghost202

Re: Python syntax & executing code.

Mark Szymanski
This is a mailing list for MacVim questions. Not ones about vim.

On Jul 31, 2011, at 12:34 PM, ghost202 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new to VIM.
>
> I currently run VIM in the mac terminal, and was curious as to how you get
> the python syntax coloring to show, as well as how to run the python code.
>
> any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -----
> ghost202

Re: Python syntax & executing code.

Dado Feigenblatt-2
Hi ghost202,

I don't have a complete answer for you and the little I have to offer
might not be 100% accurate, but I can give you some pointers.
First of all, a little background on Vim.
There is the console version of Vim, and the GUI version of Vim, called
gVim (which can also be started on the console with "vim -g" or "vi -g"
on systems where vi has been replaced with vim)
The GUI version can use different GUI libraries.
On Unix/Linux like systems the most common version uses the gtk libraries.
On the mac it uses Cocoa.
All GUI versions, despite the different GUI libraries and OSes where
they run, tend to be similar in behavior.
MacVim is a separate project that uses the core engine of Vim, but tries
to be more Mac-like. The core behavior is that of Vim. There's no
difference. A few things in the UI and some shortcuts are more Mac-like
than the other GUI versions of Vim, but that's it.
This mailing list is for users of MacVim.
We tend to discuss MacVim specific issues, more related to the port and
integration with OS X. But occasionally a more generic question might
pop up and someone might try and answer it, until someone tells you to
"get out of my lawn".

So your question is more on the generic Vim side of things and should
probably be directed to the Vim forums. However, if you're just asking
how to turn coloring on/off the command is
:syntax on/off
Syntax coloring on terminals is not as rich as with GUI based Vim so if
you're on a Mac you should give MacVim a try.
Use this list for MacVim specific issues, and the other Vim lists for
the core Vim issues.
I'd say that at this point, since you're learning Vim, most of your
questions are likely to be for the other lists.

Good luck.
Dado Feigenblatt

On 7/31/11 10:34 AM, ghost202 wrote:

> I'm new to VIM.
>
> I currently run VIM in the mac terminal, and was curious as to how you get
> the python syntax coloring to show, as well as how to run the python code.
>
> any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -----
> ghost202

Re: Python syntax & executing code.

Christopher Stone