Question regarding gvim and colorschemes

Question regarding gvim and colorschemes

Matthew Weier O'Phinney-2
Greetings!

I have been using vimoutliner for several years, since one of Steve's
early versions. I don't use a ton of features, other than code folding,
body text, and checkboxes, but it's an integral part of my work
environment -- I use it for creating code algorithms, keeping project
checklists and outlines, journaling (since I type faster than hand write
these days), and more.

I recently was in a position where I could re-migrate from Windows to
Linux. Unfortunately, when I did so, checkboxes stopped working for me,
and in gvim, I get an odd behaviour that my vimoutliner colorscheme
selection is not honored.

I solved the checkboxes by installing the latest version of vimoutliner
(who knows what version I was on before), but the colorscheme issue
still is not resolved.

Basically, I have the following in my vimoutlinerrc:

    let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
    setlocal background=dark
    setlocal nowrap
    let g:hoistParanoia=0
    colorscheme vo_dark

In my gvimrc, I have this:

    :colorscheme koehler
    :set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 13
    :set lines=24
    :set columns=80
    :set go-=T

I tried commenting out the colorscheme setting in the gvimrc, but that
didn't work either; no matter what I do, I end up with the vo_light
colorscheme, and have to manually select vo_dark.

In vim run from a console, it works fine.

Any ideas?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
[hidden email]

Re: Question regarding gvim and colorschemes

Noel Henson
On Friday 30 March 2007 10:23, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have been using vimoutliner for several years, since one of Steve's
> early versions. I don't use a ton of features, other than code folding,
> body text, and checkboxes, but it's an integral part of my work
> environment -- I use it for creating code algorithms, keeping project
> checklists and outlines, journaling (since I type faster than hand write
> these days), and more.
>
> I recently was in a position where I could re-migrate from Windows to
> Linux. Unfortunately, when I did so, checkboxes stopped working for me,
> and in gvim, I get an odd behaviour that my vimoutliner colorscheme
> selection is not honored.
>
> I solved the checkboxes by installing the latest version of vimoutliner
> (who knows what version I was on before), but the colorscheme issue
> still is not resolved.
>
> Basically, I have the following in my vimoutlinerrc:
>
>     let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
>     setlocal background=dark
>     setlocal nowrap
>     let g:hoistParanoia=0
>     colorscheme vo_dark
>
> In my gvimrc, I have this:
>     :colorscheme koehler
>     :set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 13
>     :set lines=24
>     :set columns=80
>     :set go-=T
>
> I tried commenting out the colorscheme setting in the gvimrc, but that
> didn't work either; no matter what I do, I end up with the vo_light
> colorscheme, and have to manually select vo_dark.
>
> In vim run from a console, it works fine.
>
> Any ideas?

What is in your ~/.vimoutlinerrc file? At the end of the file, there should
be a "colorscheme" line. That is where the colors are selected in 0.3.4.

Noel

On 3/30/07, Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 10:23, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
<snip>

> > I recently was in a position where I could re-migrate from Windows to
> > Linux. Unfortunately, when I did so, checkboxes stopped working for me,
> > and in gvim, I get an odd behaviour that my vimoutliner colorscheme
> > selection is not honored.
> >
> > I solved the checkboxes by installing the latest version of vimoutliner
> > (who knows what version I was on before), but the colorscheme issue
> > still is not resolved.
> >
> > Basically, I have the following in my vimoutlinerrc:
> >
> >     let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
> >     setlocal background=dark
> >     setlocal nowrap
> >     let g:hoistParanoia=0
> >     colorscheme vo_dark
> >
> > In my gvimrc, I have this:
> >     :colorscheme koehler
> >     :set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 13
> >     :set lines=24
> >     :set columns=80
> >     :set go-=T
> >
> > I tried commenting out the colorscheme setting in the gvimrc, but that
> > didn't work either; no matter what I do, I end up with the vo_light
> > colorscheme, and have to manually select vo_dark.
> >
> > In vim run from a console, it works fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> What is in your ~/.vimoutlinerrc file? At the end of the file, there should
> be a "colorscheme" line. That is where the colors are selected in 0.3.4.

The uncommented directives from my .vimoutlinerrc are:

    let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
    setlocal background=dark
    setlocal nowrap
    let g:hoistParanoia=0
    colorscheme vo_dark

So, my assumption is that vo_dark would be selected. However, vo_light
is always used when I load a vimoutliner file in gvim. vo_dark *is*
selected when I load the file in vim from a console, however.

On Monday 02 April 2007 03:52, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> The uncommented directives from my .vimoutlinerrc are:
>
>     let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
>     setlocal background=dark
>     setlocal nowrap
>     let g:hoistParanoia=0
>     colorscheme vo_dark
>
> So, my assumption is that vo_dark would be selected. However, vo_light
> is always used when I load a vimoutliner file in gvim. vo_dark *is*
> selected when I load the file in vim from a console, however.

What do you get with:
:echo g:colors_name
?

Noel

Re: Question regarding gvim and colorschemes

Steve Litt
On Monday 02 April 2007 08:06, Noel Henson wrote:

> What do you get with:
> :echo g:colors_name

Here's what I get, even though I didn't have a problem:

E121: Undefined variable: g:colors_name
E15: Invalid expression: g:colors_name

The reason I tried is that for years, the color scheme when I went straight
CLI was horrible, so I just went GUI with xterm/aterm/rxvt. However, I just
checked, and now with CLI my color scheme is very nice, so something must
have changed.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

On 4/2/07, Noel Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2007 03:52, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> >
> > The uncommented directives from my .vimoutlinerrc are:
> >
> >     let g:vo_modules_load = "checkbox:hoist"
> >     setlocal background=dark
> >     setlocal nowrap
> >     let g:hoistParanoia=0
> >     colorscheme vo_dark
> >
> > So, my assumption is that vo_dark would be selected. However, vo_light
> > is always used when I load a vimoutliner file in gvim. vo_dark *is*
> > selected when I load the file in vim from a console, however.
>
> What do you get with:
> :echo g:colors_name

Interestingly, "VO Dark". But the colors are not highlighted correctly.

When I then go to 'Edit | Color Scheme | vo_dark' (or ':colo vo_dark'),
the color scheme is correct.

And, after changing the color scheme and running

    :echo g:colors_name return

I still get 'VO Dark'. Very bizarre.