RE: Set display font to large

Marek Stepanek

Sorry for this noise. I discovered the answer myself. Menu > Edit > Font
> Bigger

Please disregard this question.

Marek

Re: Set display font to large

Chris Patti
Hi Marek, it's not noise! :)

I had the same problem myself, and, menus aside, you can also configure things with your dotfiles.  Here's mine for example:
----
$ more .gvimrc                                                       [16:34:19]
set ts=4
set sw=4
set sts=4
set expandtab
set guifont=Menlo\ Regular:h25
colorscheme koehler

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Marek Stepanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for this noise. I discovered the answer myself. Menu > Edit > Font
> Bigger

Please disregard this question.

Marek

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: [hidden email] | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

Re: Set display font to large

Marek Stepanek
On 7/30/13 10:48 PM, Chris Patti wrote:

> Hi Marek, it's not noise! :)
>
> I had the same problem myself, and, menus aside, you can also configure
> things with your dotfiles.  Here's mine for example:
> ----
> $ more .gvimrc
> [16:34:19]
> set ts=4
> set sw=4
> set sts=4
> set expandtab
> set guifont=Menlo\ Regular:h25
> colorscheme koehler

Wow this is impressing! Your colorscheme koehler is really interesting,
but I commented it out :-) too exhausting for my eyes! And the "ts" and
"sw" ... I suppose to understand, I have to make :help ts ... I will
look into it tomorrow.

Thank you for this nice welcome Chris

marek

Re: Set display font to large

Kyle Lippincott-2
To elaborate a bit on setting the font in a way that your machine will accept (different machines take different font specifications), I've found the easiest method to be:

:set guifont=*  (this opens up a font dialog box on most systems; choose the font you want, and then close it)
:set guifont?  (with the question mark!  This tells you what guifont actually got set to)

Then put it in your ~/.gvimrc:
set guifont=<whatever output from ':set guifont?' was>   (without the <>'s :))

On 7/31/13 12:07 AM, Kyle Lippincott wrote:

> To elaborate a bit on setting the font in a way that your machine will
> accept (different machines take different font specifications), I've
> found the easiest method to be:
>
> :set guifont=*  (this opens up a font dialog box on most systems; choose
> the font you want, and then close it)
> :set guifont?  (with the question mark!  This tells you what guifont
> actually got set to)
>
> Then put it in your ~/.gvimrc:
> set guifont=<whatever output from ':set guifont?' was>   (without the
> <>'s :))

Thx Kyle!

> :set guifont?

I tried this command, but got the answer: "guifont=" nothing else and I
was confused of course. Now I understand: if you have not put a
different setting, you will only get an empty answer. But how to get the
default settings of MacVim? I would like to keep the default font and
only change the size. And what is the ":set guifont" for the size only?

Thanks for your patience

 marek

Re: Set display font to large

Chris Patti
Apologies Marek the ts,sw,sts and expandtab settings all tell Vim how to handle tabs.

See the superlative Vimcast on "working with tabs" for more information.

This site in general is a treasure trove of help for new Vimmers :)

-Chris