REQ: gq and swap file stuff?

pb-2
Hi ...

When there is no empty lines bellow the long line (at the end of file)
you can't format the line using gq option...

Also it would be less annoying when opening file and swap file is found
(another vim is running in this case). Then you click on "Quit" and you
have to press a key! IMHO annoying...

This stands for gvim 7.0.109 on Windows 2000, MinGW compile (gcc
3.4.2)... I did the compiles but this was in previous releases of gvim I
didn't compile by myself...

One more thing. Syntax highlighting doesn't work well when fdm=marker
is set... I have encountered this mostly on shell scripts (bash). For
example when you unqoute string text bellow highlights as string but,
doesnt unhighlights when you qoute it agsin.

Thanks, bye

Re: REQ: gq and swap file stuff?

Kim Schulz
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:40:32 +0200
"Pero Brbora" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> When there is no empty lines bellow the long line (at the end of file)
> you can't format the line using gq option...

This one I completely agree with. I always start out by adding a lot of
empty lines to the bottom of the file before adding contents. this way
this annoyance isn't activated as often.
Would be super to get rid of this annoyance which I tend consider a
bug - even though it probably has its roots in some line-editing ideas
from old days.

--
Kim Schulz    | Private :  http://www.schulz.dk
[hidden email] | Business:  http://www.devteam.dk
+45 5190 4262 | Sparetime: http://www.fundanemt.com

Re: REQ: gq and swap file stuff?

Bill McCarthy
On Sat 21-Oct-06 3:40pm -0600, Pero Brbora wrote:

> When there is no empty lines bellow the long line (at the
> end of file) you can't format the line using gq option...

What are you doing?  If I use this test file:

=================== testfile ===================
 vim: set tw=10 fo=tcq2:

this line has a blank line after it.

Now for a long line with no blank line after it.
================= end testfile =================

And open with:

    gvim -u NONE -i NONE -N testfile

I can format the paragraphs with, for example, 'gqq' or
'gq}' or '{visual}gq' without a problem.

Since there is no 'gq option', I'm assuming you're using the
normal command gq followed by a q, a motion or proceeded by
a visual selection.

Bill

Re: REQ: gq and swap file stuff?

Benji Fisher
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 10:40:32PM +0200, Pero Brbora wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> When there is no empty lines bellow the long line (at the end of file)
> you can't format the line using gq option...

     I agree with one of the other replies:  gqq works for me.

> Also it would be less annoying when opening file and swap file is found
> (another vim is running in this case). Then you click on "Quit" and you
> have to press a key! IMHO annoying...
>
> This stands for gvim 7.0.109 on Windows 2000, MinGW compile (gcc
> 3.4.2)... I did the compiles but this was in previous releases of gvim I
> didn't compile by myself...
>
> One more thing. Syntax highlighting doesn't work well when fdm=marker
> is set... I have encountered this mostly on shell scripts (bash). For
> example when you unqoute string text bellow highlights as string but,
> doesnt unhighlights when you qoute it agsin.

     You should mention this to Dr. C, who maintains the syntax file (in
this case $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/sh.vim).  First, check his web site in case
there is a newer version of the syntax file that already fixes the
problem:
http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#vimlinks_syntax
If not, try e-mailing him directly.  Both the web site and his e-mail
address (the latter somewhat obfuscated) are in the comments at the top
of the syntax file.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: REQ: gq and swap file stuff?

pb-2
>      I agree with one of the other replies:       gqq works for me.

Ok, my bad. It works for me too... :)
I learned gq<CR> and didn't know about gqq -
much better...

Thanks