Re: Google Summer of Code / Color Editor for Vim

Re: Google Summer of Code / Color Editor for Vim

Bram Moolenaar

Piotr Konieczny wrote:

> First of all, sorry for using this e-mail to contact you about Vim
> matter, but I didn't find your e-mail address on the Vim's website.
> (I wasn't sure if you are the person, who read mail from [hidden email]
> However [hidden email] will get BCC of this message, just in case :)

Fortunately (for you and spammers) there are dozens of e-mail addresses
that can be used to reach me.

> Let's get to the point.
> I'm going to take a part in the Summer of Code organized by Google
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html. My project is very close
> to Vim, I'm going to write Vim Color Editor.
>
> Because Vim.org isn't listed on Google's website as one of the
> Participating Mentoring Organizations, I would like to ask:
> Is it OK to put your e-maill address in application form called:
> Other organisation (not listed on Participating Mentoring
> Organizations List)?

Sure.  I can't say Vim is very organized though :-).

> Since you are hard-working person, maybe you would like to pick up
> another person, connected to vim project, who could monitor my
> progress and mentor me as the project goes forward? Let me know.

I'm not against it, but the FAQ mentions:

        Are you accepting any more Organizations into the program?
            No.

> #v+ Below, short project description
> Because everyone differs, it's almost impossible to find existing,
> perfect for each user color scheme. ViCE is going to be an application
> (standalone or GVim ''toolbar'' module based) that allows fast changing
> and creating color schemes for Vim text editor with only few clicks.
> No more time-consuming and complicated config files edition.
>
> ViCE will be an easy to use and cross-platform application with
> Graphical User Interface which allows everyone to create his own
> fancy color scheme in few clicks by picking up a suitable color or
> font style for every piece of Vim interface, that supports colors
> (syntax highlighting, Vim background, line-numbers etc).

[...]

> Please, let me know what do you think about all of this :-) The
> deadline for applying is June 13th (Monday).

Sounds nice.

82. AT&T names you Customer of the Month for the third consecutive time.

Re: Google Summer of Code / Color Editor for Vim

Aaron Griffin
> > Because everyone differs, it's almost impossible to find existing,
> > perfect for each user color scheme. ViCE is going to be an application
> > (standalone or GVim ''toolbar'' module based) that allows fast changing
> > and creating color schemes for Vim text editor with only few clicks.
> > No more time-consuming and complicated config files edition.
> >
> > ViCE will be an easy to use and cross-platform application with
> > Graphical User Interface which allows everyone to create his own
> > fancy color scheme in few clicks by picking up a suitable color or
> > font style for every piece of Vim interface, that supports colors
> > (syntax highlighting, Vim background, line-numbers etc).

> Sounds nice.

I agree - a quick color editor helps us non-visually inclined people... 8)