Re: How to use command - z for undo?

panshizhu
Unnsse Khan <[hidden email]> wrote on 2005-06-06 09:13:17:

> Hello,
>
> I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I downloaded
> this
> from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.
>
> My .vimrc file looks like this:
>
> Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
> set nocompatible
> set ts=4
> set keymodel=startsel
> set nu
> set autoindent
> set ruler
> set backspace=indent,eol,start
> syntax on
> colorscheme torte
> set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20
>
> My  question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?
>
> When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:
>
> <D-z>
>
> Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
> in Outlook,
> it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z>
> from gvim into this e-mail,
> the output is this:
>
> ������
>
> Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...
>
> With thanks,
>
> Unnsse

Hi, the Vim uses u for undo, please :help undo
to see it.

If you do want the command+z for undo, you can just create a map for that,
like:

:imap <D-z> <C-O>u

On the above the <D-z> mean you press the command+z key, but for <C-O> you
should input the character literally...

Sincerely
Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221

Re: How to use command - z for undo?

Unnsse Khan-2
Antoine,

I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
problem seemed
akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
Windows for
years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
thought that it
could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
"Command z" or "Control z",
default, for that matter.

Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
told everyone that I was
using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
unfortunate that I have to
use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
everything.

All the best,

Unnsse

On Jun 5, 2005, at 6:46 PM, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

> Unnsse Khan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I
>> downloaded  this
>> from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.
>>
>> My .vimrc file looks like this:
>>
>> Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
>> set nocompatible
>> set ts=4
>> set keymodel=startsel
>> set nu
>> set autoindent
>> set ruler
>> set backspace=indent,eol,start
>> syntax on
>> colorscheme torte
>> set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20
>>
>> My  question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?
>>
>> When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:
>>
>> <D-z>
>>
>> Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
>> in Outlook,
>> it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z>
>> from
>> gvim into this e-mail,
>> the output is this:
>>
>> 獤摤摤
>>
>> Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...
>>
>> With thanks,
>>
>> Unnsse
>>

> Undo in (g)vim is obtained by hitting u in Normal mode. Vim is highly
> configurable; but its basic keystrokes are inherited from VI, not from
> Notepad, not from kedit, not from Word, not from WordPerfect and not
> from WordStar. Its help is the most comprehensive (and the least
> out-of-date) I ever saw for _any_ program, bar none; but that help
> is so
> voluminous a haystack that sometimes finding your needle in it may be,
> shall we say, a little awkward. ;-)
>
> This said, there are ways to search the help. In this case,
>
>     :help undo
>
> would have given you the answer.
>
> I don't know the answer to your paste problem. You are using Outlook,
> not Outlook Express, are you? I know the latter but not the former.
> Maybe it doesn't understand the clipboard data copied by "Vim or other
> programs".
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Re: How to use command - z for undo?

panshizhu
"A. J. Mechelynck" <[hidden email]> wrote on 2005-06-06
11:41:35:

> Unnsse Khan wrote:
> > I can't believe that it won't work using
> > "Command z" or "Control z",
> > default, for that matter.
> >
> > Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
told

> > everyone that I was
> > using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
> > unfortunate that I have to
> > use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
> > everything.
>
> I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
> isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
> right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
> say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony,

I think what he questions is that why cmd-z is not undo by default...

But I don't think cmd-z should be the default, (so that I can use the
_same_ vim in all platforms.)

For the paste, I think what he questions is that the cmd-z in vim cannot be
pasted into his mail client.

And I don't think non-printable characters like cmd-z should be pasted into
mail client "as is".

Right?

Re: How to use command - z for undo?

Manu Anand
> "A. J. Mechelynck" <[hidden email]> wrote on 2005-06-06
> 11:41:35:
>
> > Unnsse Khan wrote:
> > > I can't believe that it won't work using
> > > "Command z" or "Control z",
> > > default, for that matter.

Hi Unnsse:

I think the problem is that VIM for Windows sources mswin.vim behind
ur back. The idea is that the behavious should be consistent with
other Windows apps.

You can source this file from the distribution incase you are missing
those shortcuts..

HTH
Manu